Cat with bloody diarrhea

Breed: siamese
iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i should expect for it and wat treatment would be best for it and is its prognosis favorable;i wil be very thankful for your valuable comments

Hi and thanks for your question.

I don't usually get too concerned about blood in diarrhea of a cat (or dog for that matter) as long as the cat is bright and alert and still eating ok and the symptoms are temporary. I find that often just a slight amount of irritation in the colon can cause it to bleed.

However, if the cat is not well, or if these symptoms are continuing then there may be something more serious going on. The first thing I would do is a fecal exam to look for the presence of parasites.

I would likely also be using a course of metronidazole which will help with inflammation in the intestines and also help if there is some sort of bacterial overgrowth.

I don't know if it is available to you, but in our area we can run a DNA panel on the diarrhea to look for things like clostridium, salmonella or tritrichomonous.

Some cats can have diarrhea because of a food intolerance or allergy as well so I will often do a trial of a hypoallergenic food such as hill's z/d.

I hope the cat is better soon!

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (78694 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7496 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5722 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9771 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (10807 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17584 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11432 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17018 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7558 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (30887 views)