Cat with bloody diarrhea

Breed: siamese
iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i should expect for it and wat treatment would be best for it and is its prognosis favorable;i wil be very thankful for your valuable comments

Hi and thanks for your question.

I don't usually get too concerned about blood in diarrhea of a cat (or dog for that matter) as long as the cat is bright and alert and still eating ok and the symptoms are temporary. I find that often just a slight amount of irritation in the colon can cause it to bleed.

However, if the cat is not well, or if these symptoms are continuing then there may be something more serious going on. The first thing I would do is a fecal exam to look for the presence of parasites.

I would likely also be using a course of metronidazole which will help with inflammation in the intestines and also help if there is some sort of bacterial overgrowth.

I don't know if it is available to you, but in our area we can run a DNA panel on the diarrhea to look for things like clostridium, salmonella or tritrichomonous.

Some cats can have diarrhea because of a food intolerance or allergy as well so I will often do a trial of a hypoallergenic food such as hill's z/d.

I hope the cat is better soon!

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (49359 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (15217 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (14166 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (12065 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (14386 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (32640 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (10631 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (5076 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18629 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (17580 views)