Cat with bloody diarrhea

Breed: siamese
iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i should expect for it and wat treatment would be best for it and is its prognosis favorable;i wil be very thankful for your valuable comments

Hi and thanks for your question.

I don't usually get too concerned about blood in diarrhea of a cat (or dog for that matter) as long as the cat is bright and alert and still eating ok and the symptoms are temporary. I find that often just a slight amount of irritation in the colon can cause it to bleed.

However, if the cat is not well, or if these symptoms are continuing then there may be something more serious going on. The first thing I would do is a fecal exam to look for the presence of parasites.

I would likely also be using a course of metronidazole which will help with inflammation in the intestines and also help if there is some sort of bacterial overgrowth.

I don't know if it is available to you, but in our area we can run a DNA panel on the diarrhea to look for things like clostridium, salmonella or tritrichomonous.

Some cats can have diarrhea because of a food intolerance or allergy as well so I will often do a trial of a hypoallergenic food such as hill's z/d.

I hope the cat is better soon!

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (19001 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (25623 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (6932 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (11909 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (77038 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (8459 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (13344 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (14123 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (10028 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (22459 views)