Cat with bloody diarrhea

Breed: siamese
iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i should expect for it and wat treatment would be best for it and is its prognosis favorable;i wil be very thankful for your valuable comments

Hi and thanks for your question.

I don't usually get too concerned about blood in diarrhea of a cat (or dog for that matter) as long as the cat is bright and alert and still eating ok and the symptoms are temporary. I find that often just a slight amount of irritation in the colon can cause it to bleed.

However, if the cat is not well, or if these symptoms are continuing then there may be something more serious going on. The first thing I would do is a fecal exam to look for the presence of parasites.

I would likely also be using a course of metronidazole which will help with inflammation in the intestines and also help if there is some sort of bacterial overgrowth.

I don't know if it is available to you, but in our area we can run a DNA panel on the diarrhea to look for things like clostridium, salmonella or tritrichomonous.

Some cats can have diarrhea because of a food intolerance or allergy as well so I will often do a trial of a hypoallergenic food such as hill's z/d.

I hope the cat is better soon!

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21481 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (10990 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (26640 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (19566 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (12911 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11706 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (9781 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (43310 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (22419 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11791 views)