Cat with bloody diarrhea

Breed: siamese
iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i should expect for it and wat treatment would be best for it and is its prognosis favorable;i wil be very thankful for your valuable comments

Hi and thanks for your question.

I don't usually get too concerned about blood in diarrhea of a cat (or dog for that matter) as long as the cat is bright and alert and still eating ok and the symptoms are temporary. I find that often just a slight amount of irritation in the colon can cause it to bleed.

However, if the cat is not well, or if these symptoms are continuing then there may be something more serious going on. The first thing I would do is a fecal exam to look for the presence of parasites.

I would likely also be using a course of metronidazole which will help with inflammation in the intestines and also help if there is some sort of bacterial overgrowth.

I don't know if it is available to you, but in our area we can run a DNA panel on the diarrhea to look for things like clostridium, salmonella or tritrichomonous.

Some cats can have diarrhea because of a food intolerance or allergy as well so I will often do a trial of a hypoallergenic food such as hill's z/d.

I hope the cat is better soon!

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (15115 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (11987 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (84485 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (42446 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (28982 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (19261 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (17585 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (7627 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (58851 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (11208 views)