Dog ate food with onions.

Breed: maltipoo
my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick badly?

Onion can be toxic to a dog, but usually where we see problems are if a dog has either a massive amount at one time, or if a dog gets small amounts every single day for a long period of time.

A single time of eating a sausage with some onion in it is not likely to cause problems.

I would be more concerned about the fat content of the sausage as it could cause pancreatitis, so if your dog is vomiting and has diarrhea then a vet visit is a good idea.

Incidentally, onions are toxic because they destroy red blood cells. So, if you notice your dog being extraordinarily tired or having pale gums then I would have him checked. But, this is extremely unlikely.

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (7045 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7421 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11671 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26949 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12160 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5718 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (16101 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (37203 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4733 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9441 views)