Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate food with onions.

Species: Dog
Breed: maltipoo
Age: 6-12 months
my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick badly?




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Onion can be toxic to a dog, but usually where we see problems are if a dog has either a massive amount at one time, or if a dog gets small amounts every single day for a long period of time.

A single time of eating a sausage with some onion in it is not likely to cause problems.

I would be more concerned about the fat content of the sausage as it could cause pancreatitis, so if your dog is vomiting and has diarrhea then a vet visit is a good idea.

Incidentally, onions are toxic because they destroy red blood cells. So, if you notice your dog being extraordinarily tired or having pale gums then I would have him checked. But, this is extremely unlikely.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (9589 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11921 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19476 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9885 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (8860 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11000 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (107473 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (16333 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7844 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (14851 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.