Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Vomiting puppy.

Species: Dog
Breed: Boxer
Age: Less than 3 mon
I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent 240.45 at vet yesterday, so PLEASE HELP ASAP. Isabella is 10 wks old. VERY hyper, playful, mean if you will,lol! Lots of fun. 2 days ago stopped eating,drinking and didnt play at all. Took her to vet yesterday morning,had a stool sample, said it was a bacteria infection.Gave an antibiotic shot and her 2nd set of shots, she did GREAT the rest of the day. Today started the antibiotic he sent home,"Metronidazole 250,QTY 7, its made her throw up a thick clear look. Giving her Pedialyte. Can this medicine make her this sick. non playful,etc...or should I contact the vet again which I CANT afford.Thank You,Jennifer R


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that Isabella is not well. Metronidazole should not cause vomiting. I am concerned that there is something else going on.

Unfortunately it does sound like you will need to talk to your vet again. It's possible that your vet would be willing to dispense some anti-vomiting medicine for her.

However, when a young puppy is vomiting then I get really concerned about either parvo virus or intestinal parasites.

Puppies can't fight dehydration well so if she is not improving she may need iv fluids.

I really hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (8212 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (9936 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (9872 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (10638 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (5873 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (97313 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7099 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (8692 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8710 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (52687 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.