White spot on eyelid.

Breed: Lab Mix
King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on the exterior of his eyelid near the tear duct area where he lacks the normal black pigment. It is not raised nor does it cause any irritation. It almost looks like he has a small eye "boogar" that you want to wipe off (about 1/8 an inch).

He sees the vet on a regular basis (annually for exams and normal vaccinations including about a month ago) and they have never said anything about it (note that I haven't specifically pointed it out but it is obviously there).

He has gotten to be a big boy (65 lbs) and it seems like it hasn't changed and is fairly static. I looked at some pictures we took of him from last year at Christmas and one shows it very clearly.

My wife brought it up the other day and I told her that it was nothing to worry about and that it doesn't merit a special vet visit.

I have read that it may be caused by vaccinations and there really isn't anything you can do about it. He is not a show dog or anything but I have also read that show dogs sometimes get tattooed to cover of these types of eyelid abnormalities. I have no interest in doing that for King. He doesn't care and neither do it.

Any thoughts? I can send you a very clear picture but didn't see a way to do it on this initial inquiry.

Thanks much!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi there,

I'd love to see a picture of this issue with King. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I just sent you two pictures to the noted address.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thanks for the great photos Steve. I've included one of them here:

white spot at corner of dog's eye

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. Obviously a photo is nowhere near as good as an in person visit with your vet.

However, I can tell you that this really doesn't look like anything to worry about.

I don't think this has anything to do with vaccinations. It's possible that when he was really young he had an injury here that caused a loss of pigment. Whatever the cause though, it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about. There really is no medical condition that could cause the pigment around his eye to look like that.

Please tell King that he is a very handsome boy!

Thank you so much. I have always thought that it was something like you mentioned. He will very much appreciate the comments about his good looks!

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (41756 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (17130 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (17563 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (8496 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (14634 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (10988 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (8850 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (21391 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (40707 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (7575 views)