White spot on eyelid.

Breed: Lab Mix
King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on the exterior of his eyelid near the tear duct area where he lacks the normal black pigment. It is not raised nor does it cause any irritation. It almost looks like he has a small eye "boogar" that you want to wipe off (about 1/8 an inch).

He sees the vet on a regular basis (annually for exams and normal vaccinations including about a month ago) and they have never said anything about it (note that I haven't specifically pointed it out but it is obviously there).

He has gotten to be a big boy (65 lbs) and it seems like it hasn't changed and is fairly static. I looked at some pictures we took of him from last year at Christmas and one shows it very clearly.

My wife brought it up the other day and I told her that it was nothing to worry about and that it doesn't merit a special vet visit.

I have read that it may be caused by vaccinations and there really isn't anything you can do about it. He is not a show dog or anything but I have also read that show dogs sometimes get tattooed to cover of these types of eyelid abnormalities. I have no interest in doing that for King. He doesn't care and neither do it.

Any thoughts? I can send you a very clear picture but didn't see a way to do it on this initial inquiry.

Thanks much!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi there,

I'd love to see a picture of this issue with King. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I just sent you two pictures to the noted address.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thanks for the great photos Steve. I've included one of them here:

white spot at corner of dog's eye

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. Obviously a photo is nowhere near as good as an in person visit with your vet.

However, I can tell you that this really doesn't look like anything to worry about.

I don't think this has anything to do with vaccinations. It's possible that when he was really young he had an injury here that caused a loss of pigment. Whatever the cause though, it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about. There really is no medical condition that could cause the pigment around his eye to look like that.

Please tell King that he is a very handsome boy!

Thank you so much. I have always thought that it was something like you mentioned. He will very much appreciate the comments about his good looks!

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (10802 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14611 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9517 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10992 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (36249 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16709 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (35309 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21669 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10853 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7255 views)