White spot on eyelid.

Breed: Lab Mix
King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on the exterior of his eyelid near the tear duct area where he lacks the normal black pigment. It is not raised nor does it cause any irritation. It almost looks like he has a small eye "boogar" that you want to wipe off (about 1/8 an inch).

He sees the vet on a regular basis (annually for exams and normal vaccinations including about a month ago) and they have never said anything about it (note that I haven't specifically pointed it out but it is obviously there).

He has gotten to be a big boy (65 lbs) and it seems like it hasn't changed and is fairly static. I looked at some pictures we took of him from last year at Christmas and one shows it very clearly.

My wife brought it up the other day and I told her that it was nothing to worry about and that it doesn't merit a special vet visit.

I have read that it may be caused by vaccinations and there really isn't anything you can do about it. He is not a show dog or anything but I have also read that show dogs sometimes get tattooed to cover of these types of eyelid abnormalities. I have no interest in doing that for King. He doesn't care and neither do it.

Any thoughts? I can send you a very clear picture but didn't see a way to do it on this initial inquiry.

Thanks much!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi there,

I'd love to see a picture of this issue with King. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I just sent you two pictures to the noted address.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thanks for the great photos Steve. I've included one of them here:

white spot at corner of dog's eye

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. Obviously a photo is nowhere near as good as an in person visit with your vet.

However, I can tell you that this really doesn't look like anything to worry about.

I don't think this has anything to do with vaccinations. It's possible that when he was really young he had an injury here that caused a loss of pigment. Whatever the cause though, it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about. There really is no medical condition that could cause the pigment around his eye to look like that.

Please tell King that he is a very handsome boy!

Thank you so much. I have always thought that it was something like you mentioned. He will very much appreciate the comments about his good looks!

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5045 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15240 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15383 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7168 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15639 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15144 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15420 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6126 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14295 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10502 views)