White spot on eyelid.

Breed: Lab Mix
King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on the exterior of his eyelid near the tear duct area where he lacks the normal black pigment. It is not raised nor does it cause any irritation. It almost looks like he has a small eye "boogar" that you want to wipe off (about 1/8 an inch).

He sees the vet on a regular basis (annually for exams and normal vaccinations including about a month ago) and they have never said anything about it (note that I haven't specifically pointed it out but it is obviously there).

He has gotten to be a big boy (65 lbs) and it seems like it hasn't changed and is fairly static. I looked at some pictures we took of him from last year at Christmas and one shows it very clearly.

My wife brought it up the other day and I told her that it was nothing to worry about and that it doesn't merit a special vet visit.

I have read that it may be caused by vaccinations and there really isn't anything you can do about it. He is not a show dog or anything but I have also read that show dogs sometimes get tattooed to cover of these types of eyelid abnormalities. I have no interest in doing that for King. He doesn't care and neither do it.

Any thoughts? I can send you a very clear picture but didn't see a way to do it on this initial inquiry.

Thanks much!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi there,

I'd love to see a picture of this issue with King. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I just sent you two pictures to the noted address.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thanks for the great photos Steve. I've included one of them here:

white spot at corner of dog's eye

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. Obviously a photo is nowhere near as good as an in person visit with your vet.

However, I can tell you that this really doesn't look like anything to worry about.

I don't think this has anything to do with vaccinations. It's possible that when he was really young he had an injury here that caused a loss of pigment. Whatever the cause though, it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about. There really is no medical condition that could cause the pigment around his eye to look like that.

Please tell King that he is a very handsome boy!

Thank you so much. I have always thought that it was something like you mentioned. He will very much appreciate the comments about his good looks!

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (18773 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (5962 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (11154 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (26454 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (9029 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (8532 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (16323 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (25149 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (8747 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (34842 views)