Parvo carrier?

Breed: mixed breed/cute bla
A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the puppies were sickly~ and it ended up that they had parvo. They were humanely euthanised that same day. Bo stayed at the vet for observation, and this vet stated that he, Bo, was a carrier of Parvo. but he never showed symptoms! The rescue that pulled him made the decision and had him euthanised. I had never heard of a dog being a carrier of Parvo, with no symptoms. This dog had been given a 4in1 shot at the pound, and before this we have no idea. Can you please explain this to me? I'm very sad over the loss of this sweet dog. But was told he would have to be kept away from other dogs for at least a year~this really does not make sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
Animal Rescue Volunteer
in Louisiana

Oh, I am sorry for this traumatic experience.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a dog being a carrier for Parvo. I did some research for you on Veterinary Information Network which is a database that vets have access to to research problems like this and could not find information on an animal being a carrier for parvo.

When an animal has parvo the virus is shed in their diarrhea or vomit. If another animal comes in contact with this virus then they can pick it up.

It is true that parvo can persist in an environment for up to a year. But, a dog will not shed parvo for very long. In fact, even if Bo did have parvo he would only shed the virus for a few days (or possibly 2-3 weeks).

I'm sorry for this difficult situation.

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12468 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10428 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15903 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21911 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7335 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10782 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9411 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6808 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4869 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11285 views)