Parvo carrier?

Breed: mixed breed/cute bla
A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the puppies were sickly~ and it ended up that they had parvo. They were humanely euthanised that same day. Bo stayed at the vet for observation, and this vet stated that he, Bo, was a carrier of Parvo. but he never showed symptoms! The rescue that pulled him made the decision and had him euthanised. I had never heard of a dog being a carrier of Parvo, with no symptoms. This dog had been given a 4in1 shot at the pound, and before this we have no idea. Can you please explain this to me? I'm very sad over the loss of this sweet dog. But was told he would have to be kept away from other dogs for at least a year~this really does not make sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
Animal Rescue Volunteer
in Louisiana

Oh, I am sorry for this traumatic experience.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a dog being a carrier for Parvo. I did some research for you on Veterinary Information Network which is a database that vets have access to to research problems like this and could not find information on an animal being a carrier for parvo.

When an animal has parvo the virus is shed in their diarrhea or vomit. If another animal comes in contact with this virus then they can pick it up.

It is true that parvo can persist in an environment for up to a year. But, a dog will not shed parvo for very long. In fact, even if Bo did have parvo he would only shed the virus for a few days (or possibly 2-3 weeks).

I'm sorry for this difficult situation.

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (12954 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (11153 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (10693 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (10489 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (20604 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (14646 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (12645 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (13598 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (8566 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (9946 views)