Parvo carrier?

Breed: mixed breed/cute bla
A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the puppies were sickly~ and it ended up that they had parvo. They were humanely euthanised that same day. Bo stayed at the vet for observation, and this vet stated that he, Bo, was a carrier of Parvo. but he never showed symptoms! The rescue that pulled him made the decision and had him euthanised. I had never heard of a dog being a carrier of Parvo, with no symptoms. This dog had been given a 4in1 shot at the pound, and before this we have no idea. Can you please explain this to me? I'm very sad over the loss of this sweet dog. But was told he would have to be kept away from other dogs for at least a year~this really does not make sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
Animal Rescue Volunteer
in Louisiana

Oh, I am sorry for this traumatic experience.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a dog being a carrier for Parvo. I did some research for you on Veterinary Information Network which is a database that vets have access to to research problems like this and could not find information on an animal being a carrier for parvo.

When an animal has parvo the virus is shed in their diarrhea or vomit. If another animal comes in contact with this virus then they can pick it up.

It is true that parvo can persist in an environment for up to a year. But, a dog will not shed parvo for very long. In fact, even if Bo did have parvo he would only shed the virus for a few days (or possibly 2-3 weeks).

I'm sorry for this difficult situation.

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (42049 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (17633 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (7785 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (6098 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (6508 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (22724 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (11989 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (8694 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (8496 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (16223 views)