Parvo carrier?

Breed: mixed breed/cute bla
A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the puppies were sickly~ and it ended up that they had parvo. They were humanely euthanised that same day. Bo stayed at the vet for observation, and this vet stated that he, Bo, was a carrier of Parvo. but he never showed symptoms! The rescue that pulled him made the decision and had him euthanised. I had never heard of a dog being a carrier of Parvo, with no symptoms. This dog had been given a 4in1 shot at the pound, and before this we have no idea. Can you please explain this to me? I'm very sad over the loss of this sweet dog. But was told he would have to be kept away from other dogs for at least a year~this really does not make sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
Animal Rescue Volunteer
in Louisiana

Oh, I am sorry for this traumatic experience.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a dog being a carrier for Parvo. I did some research for you on Veterinary Information Network which is a database that vets have access to to research problems like this and could not find information on an animal being a carrier for parvo.

When an animal has parvo the virus is shed in their diarrhea or vomit. If another animal comes in contact with this virus then they can pick it up.

It is true that parvo can persist in an environment for up to a year. But, a dog will not shed parvo for very long. In fact, even if Bo did have parvo he would only shed the virus for a few days (or possibly 2-3 weeks).

I'm sorry for this difficult situation.

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (21364 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4467 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7550 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (6931 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11276 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (6934 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4414 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (101768 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4692 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15631 views)