Parvo carrier?

Breed: mixed breed/cute bla
A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the puppies were sickly~ and it ended up that they had parvo. They were humanely euthanised that same day. Bo stayed at the vet for observation, and this vet stated that he, Bo, was a carrier of Parvo. but he never showed symptoms! The rescue that pulled him made the decision and had him euthanised. I had never heard of a dog being a carrier of Parvo, with no symptoms. This dog had been given a 4in1 shot at the pound, and before this we have no idea. Can you please explain this to me? I'm very sad over the loss of this sweet dog. But was told he would have to be kept away from other dogs for at least a year~this really does not make sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Cheryl
Animal Rescue Volunteer
in Louisiana

Oh, I am sorry for this traumatic experience.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a dog being a carrier for Parvo. I did some research for you on Veterinary Information Network which is a database that vets have access to to research problems like this and could not find information on an animal being a carrier for parvo.

When an animal has parvo the virus is shed in their diarrhea or vomit. If another animal comes in contact with this virus then they can pick it up.

It is true that parvo can persist in an environment for up to a year. But, a dog will not shed parvo for very long. In fact, even if Bo did have parvo he would only shed the virus for a few days (or possibly 2-3 weeks).

I'm sorry for this difficult situation.

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (17596 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (58350 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (9062 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (59981 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (9310 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (15850 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (13256 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (11567 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11613 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (9306 views)