Gunky eyes in kittens.

Breed: Mixed Tabby

We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we thought it was the runt of the litter--there had been no signs of a problem and the others looked hearty and healthy.

They have now over the last day, however, developed a dark brownish/amber discharge around the eyes, nose, and mouth, sometimes even making it difficult to open an eye. Following cat owner advice online, we've been cleaning the discharge off with a wet washcloth--it doesn't seem to be reappearing.

They seem a little tired, but they are friendly. The mother is nursing and cleaning them regularly. And they show no signs of diarhea, but one of them licked the washcloth voraciously so we're wondering if they could be a little dehydrated in the mix.

Are they sick and do they need medicine and/or water?

It sounds like your kittens are fighting some type of upper respiratory virus. While some cats can get through an upper respiratory virus on their own, I get concerned when young kittens like this are unwell.

If you are seeing enough eye discharge that the eyes are difficult to open, then there is likely a bacterial infection along with the virus. If this is the case, then simply cleaning the eyes will not be enough. These guys will need to get an antibiotic ointment from the vet.

Do you have kitchen scales or something similar that you could use to weigh the kittens? It is important that they are gaining a small amount of weight every day. If they are not gaining weight then this means that they are not nursing enough and this definitely would have me concerned.

However, I think it really would be a good idea to have a vet look at these guys, especially because one died. They may need oral antibiotics as well if they are really unwell.

I hope they do ok!

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29810 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8505 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10535 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22263 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (10854 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (6024 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14025 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4458 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (13952 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7032 views)