Gunky eyes in kittens.

Breed: Mixed Tabby

We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we thought it was the runt of the litter--there had been no signs of a problem and the others looked hearty and healthy.

They have now over the last day, however, developed a dark brownish/amber discharge around the eyes, nose, and mouth, sometimes even making it difficult to open an eye. Following cat owner advice online, we've been cleaning the discharge off with a wet washcloth--it doesn't seem to be reappearing.

They seem a little tired, but they are friendly. The mother is nursing and cleaning them regularly. And they show no signs of diarhea, but one of them licked the washcloth voraciously so we're wondering if they could be a little dehydrated in the mix.

Are they sick and do they need medicine and/or water?

It sounds like your kittens are fighting some type of upper respiratory virus. While some cats can get through an upper respiratory virus on their own, I get concerned when young kittens like this are unwell.

If you are seeing enough eye discharge that the eyes are difficult to open, then there is likely a bacterial infection along with the virus. If this is the case, then simply cleaning the eyes will not be enough. These guys will need to get an antibiotic ointment from the vet.

Do you have kitchen scales or something similar that you could use to weigh the kittens? It is important that they are gaining a small amount of weight every day. If they are not gaining weight then this means that they are not nursing enough and this definitely would have me concerned.

However, I think it really would be a good idea to have a vet look at these guys, especially because one died. They may need oral antibiotics as well if they are really unwell.

I hope they do ok!

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15491 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9820 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (5513 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8640 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11617 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10779 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9633 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (231010 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (65665 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10491 views)