Gunky eyes in kittens.

Breed: Mixed Tabby

We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we thought it was the runt of the litter--there had been no signs of a problem and the others looked hearty and healthy.

They have now over the last day, however, developed a dark brownish/amber discharge around the eyes, nose, and mouth, sometimes even making it difficult to open an eye. Following cat owner advice online, we've been cleaning the discharge off with a wet washcloth--it doesn't seem to be reappearing.

They seem a little tired, but they are friendly. The mother is nursing and cleaning them regularly. And they show no signs of diarhea, but one of them licked the washcloth voraciously so we're wondering if they could be a little dehydrated in the mix.

Are they sick and do they need medicine and/or water?

It sounds like your kittens are fighting some type of upper respiratory virus. While some cats can get through an upper respiratory virus on their own, I get concerned when young kittens like this are unwell.

If you are seeing enough eye discharge that the eyes are difficult to open, then there is likely a bacterial infection along with the virus. If this is the case, then simply cleaning the eyes will not be enough. These guys will need to get an antibiotic ointment from the vet.

Do you have kitchen scales or something similar that you could use to weigh the kittens? It is important that they are gaining a small amount of weight every day. If they are not gaining weight then this means that they are not nursing enough and this definitely would have me concerned.

However, I think it really would be a good idea to have a vet look at these guys, especially because one died. They may need oral antibiotics as well if they are really unwell.

I hope they do ok!

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (16327 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (30851 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (9746 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (8625 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (11780 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (16273 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (45747 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (10662 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (12097 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (7167 views)