Gunky eyes in kittens.

Breed: Mixed Tabby

We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we thought it was the runt of the litter--there had been no signs of a problem and the others looked hearty and healthy.

They have now over the last day, however, developed a dark brownish/amber discharge around the eyes, nose, and mouth, sometimes even making it difficult to open an eye. Following cat owner advice online, we've been cleaning the discharge off with a wet washcloth--it doesn't seem to be reappearing.

They seem a little tired, but they are friendly. The mother is nursing and cleaning them regularly. And they show no signs of diarhea, but one of them licked the washcloth voraciously so we're wondering if they could be a little dehydrated in the mix.

Are they sick and do they need medicine and/or water?

It sounds like your kittens are fighting some type of upper respiratory virus. While some cats can get through an upper respiratory virus on their own, I get concerned when young kittens like this are unwell.

If you are seeing enough eye discharge that the eyes are difficult to open, then there is likely a bacterial infection along with the virus. If this is the case, then simply cleaning the eyes will not be enough. These guys will need to get an antibiotic ointment from the vet.

Do you have kitchen scales or something similar that you could use to weigh the kittens? It is important that they are gaining a small amount of weight every day. If they are not gaining weight then this means that they are not nursing enough and this definitely would have me concerned.

However, I think it really would be a good idea to have a vet look at these guys, especially because one died. They may need oral antibiotics as well if they are really unwell.

I hope they do ok!

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (24417 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (33014 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (12029 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (101403 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (10278 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5669 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (271689 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10277 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (13565 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7166 views)