Lethargic cat

Breed: maine coon
My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She threw up food and water yesterday. Just now I noticed she pooped bloody mucus. My vet is closed for the day. Should I take her to the emergency vet or monitor her until morning?

Sorry to hear that Zoe is not feeling great.

Is she eating anything at all? If she does not want to eat then this almost always means that there is a medical issue.

There are many possible reasons for her to have these symptoms. If she goes outside, then a common reason would be if she had received a cat bite or scratch and now has a fever or an infection because of it. It's also possible that she has pancreatitis which is common in cats.

My answer really depends on how her appetite is. If a cat has been off food for more than 48 hours then I always recommend a visit. However, if she's still picking at her food a little then you likely can wait until the morning and see how she is doing then.

Just so you know, I don't usually get too concerned by the fact that there is blood in the stool. I know it can look scary to see that, but in cats (and dogs) blood means that there is inflammation in the colon. The mucus you are seeing fits with inflammation in the colon as well. This usually isn't terribly serious.

So, if Zoe is eating a little then I would say to wait until the morning and see how she is. If she hasn't eaten at all in the last two days then I would take her in tonight.

And as always, because I can't give a diagnosis online, I recommend to "follow your gut". If you are really worried it is best to be safe rather than sorry and have her seen.

She ate a little yesterday but not all of it; about half. She has not eaten at all today.

It sounds like she will likely need to be seen, but the question is whether to take her in tonight or tomorrow. Is your vet open tomorrow? If you are going to end up going to an emergency clinic regardless, then it may be worthwhile to just go in tonight. That way she can get some treatment as soon as possible.

If you do end up waiting till tomorrow you can try offering her a variety of some canned food (such as fancy feast) or baby food (with no onions or garlic) if you have access to either tonight. Try putting a little bit in her mouth and seeing if she will eat it. But, if she eats it and then vomits, then don't persist.

Okay. Thank you very much for your advice. We're going to take her in just to be safe.

I think that's a wonderful idea. I'll likely be offline by the time you get home, but feel free to reply to let me know how things went. I'll check in again in the morning.

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (7819 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (65505 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (21173 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (37242 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (30964 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (14799 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (8862 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (21213 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7177 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (10601 views)