Lethargic cat

Breed: maine coon
My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She threw up food and water yesterday. Just now I noticed she pooped bloody mucus. My vet is closed for the day. Should I take her to the emergency vet or monitor her until morning?

Sorry to hear that Zoe is not feeling great.

Is she eating anything at all? If she does not want to eat then this almost always means that there is a medical issue.

There are many possible reasons for her to have these symptoms. If she goes outside, then a common reason would be if she had received a cat bite or scratch and now has a fever or an infection because of it. It's also possible that she has pancreatitis which is common in cats.

My answer really depends on how her appetite is. If a cat has been off food for more than 48 hours then I always recommend a visit. However, if she's still picking at her food a little then you likely can wait until the morning and see how she is doing then.

Just so you know, I don't usually get too concerned by the fact that there is blood in the stool. I know it can look scary to see that, but in cats (and dogs) blood means that there is inflammation in the colon. The mucus you are seeing fits with inflammation in the colon as well. This usually isn't terribly serious.

So, if Zoe is eating a little then I would say to wait until the morning and see how she is. If she hasn't eaten at all in the last two days then I would take her in tonight.

And as always, because I can't give a diagnosis online, I recommend to "follow your gut". If you are really worried it is best to be safe rather than sorry and have her seen.

She ate a little yesterday but not all of it; about half. She has not eaten at all today.

It sounds like she will likely need to be seen, but the question is whether to take her in tonight or tomorrow. Is your vet open tomorrow? If you are going to end up going to an emergency clinic regardless, then it may be worthwhile to just go in tonight. That way she can get some treatment as soon as possible.

If you do end up waiting till tomorrow you can try offering her a variety of some canned food (such as fancy feast) or baby food (with no onions or garlic) if you have access to either tonight. Try putting a little bit in her mouth and seeing if she will eat it. But, if she eats it and then vomits, then don't persist.

Okay. Thank you very much for your advice. We're going to take her in just to be safe.

I think that's a wonderful idea. I'll likely be offline by the time you get home, but feel free to reply to let me know how things went. I'll check in again in the morning.

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17408 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6763 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (9990 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13364 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4352 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21428 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11763 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16038 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11367 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40580 views)