Limping Dog.

Breed: Terrier x Chihuahua
Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind leg. My husband, who is a paramedic felt for an obvious fracture & didn't feel anything. He is quite cheerful & didn't yelp or flinch at all when my husband felt and extended his leg. Going to the vet is intense for him, as he gets carsick. Should we wait a few days to see if it is a strain that needs rest? Or bring him in now?

It's always tough to answer questions about lameness without being able to examine your dog. But, I'll give you a few of my thoughts!

My general rule of thumb is that if a dog is putting no weight at all on a leg and it lasts for more than a few hours then it's a good idea to have the vet take a look.

If he is putting some weight on the leg, and if he is bright and otherwise happy it is likely ok to wait it out for 24 hours. But if there has been zero improvement then he should see the vet. If there has been a little bit of improvement then you could likely wait it out for a total of 48 hours to see if things are going to improve.

If you do decide to wait, I wouldn't advise giving him any medication. If we give an over the counter drug like aspirin it can interfere with the vet's ability to diagnose. Plus, it might mean that the vet can't prescribe a different medication that could be more effective.

It's usually best to restrict exercise in times like this, so make sure Shady gets some rest.

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15078 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15852 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7761 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (25906 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20196 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (12037 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10647 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (17836 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6684 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8646 views)