Limping Dog.

Breed: Terrier x Chihuahua
Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind leg. My husband, who is a paramedic felt for an obvious fracture & didn't feel anything. He is quite cheerful & didn't yelp or flinch at all when my husband felt and extended his leg. Going to the vet is intense for him, as he gets carsick. Should we wait a few days to see if it is a strain that needs rest? Or bring him in now?

It's always tough to answer questions about lameness without being able to examine your dog. But, I'll give you a few of my thoughts!

My general rule of thumb is that if a dog is putting no weight at all on a leg and it lasts for more than a few hours then it's a good idea to have the vet take a look.

If he is putting some weight on the leg, and if he is bright and otherwise happy it is likely ok to wait it out for 24 hours. But if there has been zero improvement then he should see the vet. If there has been a little bit of improvement then you could likely wait it out for a total of 48 hours to see if things are going to improve.

If you do decide to wait, I wouldn't advise giving him any medication. If we give an over the counter drug like aspirin it can interfere with the vet's ability to diagnose. Plus, it might mean that the vet can't prescribe a different medication that could be more effective.

It's usually best to restrict exercise in times like this, so make sure Shady gets some rest.

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (12716 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (61967 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (12155 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (27362 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (21372 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (9502 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (21715 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (12003 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (88155 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (555559 views)