Limping Dog.

Breed: Terrier x Chihuahua
Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind leg. My husband, who is a paramedic felt for an obvious fracture & didn't feel anything. He is quite cheerful & didn't yelp or flinch at all when my husband felt and extended his leg. Going to the vet is intense for him, as he gets carsick. Should we wait a few days to see if it is a strain that needs rest? Or bring him in now?

It's always tough to answer questions about lameness without being able to examine your dog. But, I'll give you a few of my thoughts!

My general rule of thumb is that if a dog is putting no weight at all on a leg and it lasts for more than a few hours then it's a good idea to have the vet take a look.

If he is putting some weight on the leg, and if he is bright and otherwise happy it is likely ok to wait it out for 24 hours. But if there has been zero improvement then he should see the vet. If there has been a little bit of improvement then you could likely wait it out for a total of 48 hours to see if things are going to improve.

If you do decide to wait, I wouldn't advise giving him any medication. If we give an over the counter drug like aspirin it can interfere with the vet's ability to diagnose. Plus, it might mean that the vet can't prescribe a different medication that could be more effective.

It's usually best to restrict exercise in times like this, so make sure Shady gets some rest.

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (75654 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9916 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7345 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7734 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (7355 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19517 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (31935 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4981 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8609 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (10897 views)