Limping Dog.

Breed: Terrier x Chihuahua
Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind leg. My husband, who is a paramedic felt for an obvious fracture & didn't feel anything. He is quite cheerful & didn't yelp or flinch at all when my husband felt and extended his leg. Going to the vet is intense for him, as he gets carsick. Should we wait a few days to see if it is a strain that needs rest? Or bring him in now?

It's always tough to answer questions about lameness without being able to examine your dog. But, I'll give you a few of my thoughts!

My general rule of thumb is that if a dog is putting no weight at all on a leg and it lasts for more than a few hours then it's a good idea to have the vet take a look.

If he is putting some weight on the leg, and if he is bright and otherwise happy it is likely ok to wait it out for 24 hours. But if there has been zero improvement then he should see the vet. If there has been a little bit of improvement then you could likely wait it out for a total of 48 hours to see if things are going to improve.

If you do decide to wait, I wouldn't advise giving him any medication. If we give an over the counter drug like aspirin it can interfere with the vet's ability to diagnose. Plus, it might mean that the vet can't prescribe a different medication that could be more effective.

It's usually best to restrict exercise in times like this, so make sure Shady gets some rest.

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (8472 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9853 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (13023 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11761 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (9682 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5894 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11878 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7529 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (16487 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24311 views)