Homeopathic medicine questions.

Breed: St. Bernard
My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from his nose, and a cough which sounds related to post nasal drip and happens more often when he gets up quick. I take a homeopathic med for sinus pain and congestion called sinusalia and I was wondering if I can give him the same remedy. The ingredients are belladonna 3X, sanguinaria canadensis, and spigelia anthelmia 3X. The inactive ingredients are croscarmellose sodium, lactose, and magnesium stearate. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Rufus is not well.

The homeopathic medicine that you are describing is not likely to hurt, but it is very unlikely to be helpful. (I should mention that I am not trained in homeopathy. I have done a search for you on the ingredients and can't see any obvious toxicity issues, but no one knows for sure what levels of homeopathic medicines are safe for use in dogs.)

Dogs don't really get symptoms like this unless there is a medical condition present. It's possible that he has a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. If this is the case he will likely get better on his own within a few days to weeks. But if it is affecting his appetite or if any of the discharge that you are seeing is green or yellow then he may have a secondary bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

Another more serious problem would be distemper. If he is not vaccinated, then this is possible. Hopefully it is not distemper because it is a horrible disease.

Another possibility is a dental infection or an infection in his nasal cavity. Again, both of these would need veterinary treatment.

If this were my patient, if he was bright and alert I would advise to do nothing for a few days and see if he clears it on his own. But if it is not clearing, or if he is lethargic or if he has a green discharge from his eyes or nose then he should see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11878 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (7408 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (13418 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9622 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (26954 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (11337 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (30011 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (19234 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (26210 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (11471 views)