Homeopathic medicine questions.

Breed: St. Bernard
My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from his nose, and a cough which sounds related to post nasal drip and happens more often when he gets up quick. I take a homeopathic med for sinus pain and congestion called sinusalia and I was wondering if I can give him the same remedy. The ingredients are belladonna 3X, sanguinaria canadensis, and spigelia anthelmia 3X. The inactive ingredients are croscarmellose sodium, lactose, and magnesium stearate. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Rufus is not well.

The homeopathic medicine that you are describing is not likely to hurt, but it is very unlikely to be helpful. (I should mention that I am not trained in homeopathy. I have done a search for you on the ingredients and can't see any obvious toxicity issues, but no one knows for sure what levels of homeopathic medicines are safe for use in dogs.)

Dogs don't really get symptoms like this unless there is a medical condition present. It's possible that he has a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. If this is the case he will likely get better on his own within a few days to weeks. But if it is affecting his appetite or if any of the discharge that you are seeing is green or yellow then he may have a secondary bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

Another more serious problem would be distemper. If he is not vaccinated, then this is possible. Hopefully it is not distemper because it is a horrible disease.

Another possibility is a dental infection or an infection in his nasal cavity. Again, both of these would need veterinary treatment.

If this were my patient, if he was bright and alert I would advise to do nothing for a few days and see if he clears it on his own. But if it is not clearing, or if he is lethargic or if he has a green discharge from his eyes or nose then he should see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (51790 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3902 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (61922 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27862 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (10095 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10945 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11702 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (17617 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12434 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (23669 views)