Homeopathic medicine questions.

Breed: St. Bernard
My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from his nose, and a cough which sounds related to post nasal drip and happens more often when he gets up quick. I take a homeopathic med for sinus pain and congestion called sinusalia and I was wondering if I can give him the same remedy. The ingredients are belladonna 3X, sanguinaria canadensis, and spigelia anthelmia 3X. The inactive ingredients are croscarmellose sodium, lactose, and magnesium stearate. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Rufus is not well.

The homeopathic medicine that you are describing is not likely to hurt, but it is very unlikely to be helpful. (I should mention that I am not trained in homeopathy. I have done a search for you on the ingredients and can't see any obvious toxicity issues, but no one knows for sure what levels of homeopathic medicines are safe for use in dogs.)

Dogs don't really get symptoms like this unless there is a medical condition present. It's possible that he has a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. If this is the case he will likely get better on his own within a few days to weeks. But if it is affecting his appetite or if any of the discharge that you are seeing is green or yellow then he may have a secondary bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

Another more serious problem would be distemper. If he is not vaccinated, then this is possible. Hopefully it is not distemper because it is a horrible disease.

Another possibility is a dental infection or an infection in his nasal cavity. Again, both of these would need veterinary treatment.

If this were my patient, if he was bright and alert I would advise to do nothing for a few days and see if he clears it on his own. But if it is not clearing, or if he is lethargic or if he has a green discharge from his eyes or nose then he should see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18689 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (14417 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7336 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20236 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12760 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (30942 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13763 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17823 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14022 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17358 views)