Homeopathic medicine questions.

Breed: St. Bernard
My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from his nose, and a cough which sounds related to post nasal drip and happens more often when he gets up quick. I take a homeopathic med for sinus pain and congestion called sinusalia and I was wondering if I can give him the same remedy. The ingredients are belladonna 3X, sanguinaria canadensis, and spigelia anthelmia 3X. The inactive ingredients are croscarmellose sodium, lactose, and magnesium stearate. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Rufus is not well.

The homeopathic medicine that you are describing is not likely to hurt, but it is very unlikely to be helpful. (I should mention that I am not trained in homeopathy. I have done a search for you on the ingredients and can't see any obvious toxicity issues, but no one knows for sure what levels of homeopathic medicines are safe for use in dogs.)

Dogs don't really get symptoms like this unless there is a medical condition present. It's possible that he has a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. If this is the case he will likely get better on his own within a few days to weeks. But if it is affecting his appetite or if any of the discharge that you are seeing is green or yellow then he may have a secondary bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

Another more serious problem would be distemper. If he is not vaccinated, then this is possible. Hopefully it is not distemper because it is a horrible disease.

Another possibility is a dental infection or an infection in his nasal cavity. Again, both of these would need veterinary treatment.

If this were my patient, if he was bright and alert I would advise to do nothing for a few days and see if he clears it on his own. But if it is not clearing, or if he is lethargic or if he has a green discharge from his eyes or nose then he should see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7219 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11394 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (15168 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (68407 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8066 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14754 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (29545 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4601 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (15793 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43326 views)