Homeopathic medicine questions.

Breed: St. Bernard
My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from his nose, and a cough which sounds related to post nasal drip and happens more often when he gets up quick. I take a homeopathic med for sinus pain and congestion called sinusalia and I was wondering if I can give him the same remedy. The ingredients are belladonna 3X, sanguinaria canadensis, and spigelia anthelmia 3X. The inactive ingredients are croscarmellose sodium, lactose, and magnesium stearate. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Rufus is not well.

The homeopathic medicine that you are describing is not likely to hurt, but it is very unlikely to be helpful. (I should mention that I am not trained in homeopathy. I have done a search for you on the ingredients and can't see any obvious toxicity issues, but no one knows for sure what levels of homeopathic medicines are safe for use in dogs.)

Dogs don't really get symptoms like this unless there is a medical condition present. It's possible that he has a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. If this is the case he will likely get better on his own within a few days to weeks. But if it is affecting his appetite or if any of the discharge that you are seeing is green or yellow then he may have a secondary bacterial infection and need antibiotics.

Another more serious problem would be distemper. If he is not vaccinated, then this is possible. Hopefully it is not distemper because it is a horrible disease.

Another possibility is a dental infection or an infection in his nasal cavity. Again, both of these would need veterinary treatment.

If this were my patient, if he was bright and alert I would advise to do nothing for a few days and see if he clears it on his own. But if it is not clearing, or if he is lethargic or if he has a green discharge from his eyes or nose then he should see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14924 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22628 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10299 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (92838 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56795 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11644 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8632 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5402 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9538 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7892 views)