Dog keeps licking butt.

Breed: poodle/chihuahua mix
My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands expressed. What else could be the problem?

If a dog is continually licking her hind end, even after having the anal glands expressed then I often wonder about the possibility of an anal sac infection. It is often hard to tell whether a dog's anal sacs are infected, but one sign is that the dog continues to be bothered by the glands even after having them expressed.

I have also seen dogs have an itchy bum because of a small wound on the anus. If this is the case I usually prescribe a hydrocortisone cream to put on the area until healed.

There are other possibilities as well such as a mass inside the anus or even allergies. It sounds like she will need to see a vet soon. Hope all is well!

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (9481 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4254 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11715 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8180 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5375 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27273 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45894 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6461 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23230 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4484 views)