How long for Frontline to work

Breed: Tabby
An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing her inside because a neighborhood dog tries to bite her and chases her, but I know she has fleas and I have another cat. I gave my cat (indoor only) Frontline, and I treated my rugs/base boards/furniture with flea repellent. I'm taking the outdoor kitty to the vet next week to have her checked out. What can I do to make sure my home and my indoor kitty remain flea free when I bring the outdoor kitty in? What will my vet do for her? Will frontline really kill all of her fleas? And if so, how quickly? Thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question!

You are doing all of the right things. Frontline is a very good flea product. Once applied, Frontline will kill all of the fleas within 12 hours. So, you may want to wait for 12 hours before you bring her in the house.

Another idea is to ask your vet to give her a tablet of Capstar when you are there (along with the Frontline). The Capstar will kill the adult fleas almost instantly. And then the Frontline will have residual effect.

It is very important that you treat both cats with Frontline a month from now and two months from now. That way, if any eggs fall off of the new kitty and land on the floor, when they hatch they will be killed right away. These eggs when they hatch will immediately seek out a cat or dog and one they get on a treated animal they will die.

It is also important to note that if you have any other animals in the house that they need to be treated monthly as well.

Hope all goes well!

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (19794 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14186 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16602 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16795 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11293 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (7666 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11552 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (27055 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10867 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11229 views)