How long for Frontline to work

Breed: Tabby
An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing her inside because a neighborhood dog tries to bite her and chases her, but I know she has fleas and I have another cat. I gave my cat (indoor only) Frontline, and I treated my rugs/base boards/furniture with flea repellent. I'm taking the outdoor kitty to the vet next week to have her checked out. What can I do to make sure my home and my indoor kitty remain flea free when I bring the outdoor kitty in? What will my vet do for her? Will frontline really kill all of her fleas? And if so, how quickly? Thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question!

You are doing all of the right things. Frontline is a very good flea product. Once applied, Frontline will kill all of the fleas within 12 hours. So, you may want to wait for 12 hours before you bring her in the house.

Another idea is to ask your vet to give her a tablet of Capstar when you are there (along with the Frontline). The Capstar will kill the adult fleas almost instantly. And then the Frontline will have residual effect.

It is very important that you treat both cats with Frontline a month from now and two months from now. That way, if any eggs fall off of the new kitty and land on the floor, when they hatch they will be killed right away. These eggs when they hatch will immediately seek out a cat or dog and one they get on a treated animal they will die.

It is also important to note that if you have any other animals in the house that they need to be treated monthly as well.

Hope all goes well!

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (33829 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (89651 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4327 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (6570 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4592 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16055 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (5577 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (83318 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11307 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (9846 views)