How long for Frontline to work

Breed: Tabby
An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing her inside because a neighborhood dog tries to bite her and chases her, but I know she has fleas and I have another cat. I gave my cat (indoor only) Frontline, and I treated my rugs/base boards/furniture with flea repellent. I'm taking the outdoor kitty to the vet next week to have her checked out. What can I do to make sure my home and my indoor kitty remain flea free when I bring the outdoor kitty in? What will my vet do for her? Will frontline really kill all of her fleas? And if so, how quickly? Thank you!

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question!

You are doing all of the right things. Frontline is a very good flea product. Once applied, Frontline will kill all of the fleas within 12 hours. So, you may want to wait for 12 hours before you bring her in the house.

Another idea is to ask your vet to give her a tablet of Capstar when you are there (along with the Frontline). The Capstar will kill the adult fleas almost instantly. And then the Frontline will have residual effect.

It is very important that you treat both cats with Frontline a month from now and two months from now. That way, if any eggs fall off of the new kitty and land on the floor, when they hatch they will be killed right away. These eggs when they hatch will immediately seek out a cat or dog and one they get on a treated animal they will die.

It is also important to note that if you have any other animals in the house that they need to be treated monthly as well.

Hope all goes well!

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7697 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14781 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (6047 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (15050 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (12444 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13815 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (77059 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13924 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5059 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8407 views)