Hamster skin problems.

Breed: Syrian hamster
Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from where he been scratching and now everytime he hears a noise he squeals and lays on his back and starts jolting even does it when i go to refill his food bowl, some times he dont squeal as he has never done anything like that before in the whole time we had him, i dont like to see him like this, he still eating and drinking as normal, i have noticed his balance has decreased, your help would be much appreciated, Louise

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause hair loss in hamsters.

Hamsters can get a mite called demodex. Or, the skin condition could be caused by an underlying disease such as cushing's or a type of skin cancer called lymphsarcoma. Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection.

In my experience, usually when hamsters start showing signs like Nando is, it is not a good sign. Hamsters are not good at fighting disease.

Is there any way you could get him to a vet who is experienced in seeing hamsters? If this is ringworm, or parasites we have a chance in treating him.

I wish I could give you an at home solution but unfortunately it does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12560 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (11176 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10865 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6465 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15228 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10529 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6711 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21463 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (7729 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11281 views)