Hamster skin problems.

Breed: Syrian hamster
Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from where he been scratching and now everytime he hears a noise he squeals and lays on his back and starts jolting even does it when i go to refill his food bowl, some times he dont squeal as he has never done anything like that before in the whole time we had him, i dont like to see him like this, he still eating and drinking as normal, i have noticed his balance has decreased, your help would be much appreciated, Louise

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause hair loss in hamsters.

Hamsters can get a mite called demodex. Or, the skin condition could be caused by an underlying disease such as cushing's or a type of skin cancer called lymphsarcoma. Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection.

In my experience, usually when hamsters start showing signs like Nando is, it is not a good sign. Hamsters are not good at fighting disease.

Is there any way you could get him to a vet who is experienced in seeing hamsters? If this is ringworm, or parasites we have a chance in treating him.

I wish I could give you an at home solution but unfortunately it does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14333 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14875 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11856 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8280 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14599 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (30466 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13913 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27545 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (20017 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9985 views)