Hamster skin problems.

Breed: Syrian hamster
Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from where he been scratching and now everytime he hears a noise he squeals and lays on his back and starts jolting even does it when i go to refill his food bowl, some times he dont squeal as he has never done anything like that before in the whole time we had him, i dont like to see him like this, he still eating and drinking as normal, i have noticed his balance has decreased, your help would be much appreciated, Louise

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause hair loss in hamsters.

Hamsters can get a mite called demodex. Or, the skin condition could be caused by an underlying disease such as cushing's or a type of skin cancer called lymphsarcoma. Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection.

In my experience, usually when hamsters start showing signs like Nando is, it is not a good sign. Hamsters are not good at fighting disease.

Is there any way you could get him to a vet who is experienced in seeing hamsters? If this is ringworm, or parasites we have a chance in treating him.

I wish I could give you an at home solution but unfortunately it does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (18399 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (22761 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (9651 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (11371 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (20919 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9997 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (28091 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (12129 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (21268 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (8666 views)