Hamster skin problems.

Breed: Syrian hamster
Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from where he been scratching and now everytime he hears a noise he squeals and lays on his back and starts jolting even does it when i go to refill his food bowl, some times he dont squeal as he has never done anything like that before in the whole time we had him, i dont like to see him like this, he still eating and drinking as normal, i have noticed his balance has decreased, your help would be much appreciated, Louise

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause hair loss in hamsters.

Hamsters can get a mite called demodex. Or, the skin condition could be caused by an underlying disease such as cushing's or a type of skin cancer called lymphsarcoma. Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection.

In my experience, usually when hamsters start showing signs like Nando is, it is not a good sign. Hamsters are not good at fighting disease.

Is there any way you could get him to a vet who is experienced in seeing hamsters? If this is ringworm, or parasites we have a chance in treating him.

I wish I could give you an at home solution but unfortunately it does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7881 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9711 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4485 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8788 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7134 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8054 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (18927 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17656 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24275 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7205 views)