Sore gums in chihuahua.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they bled a little but on the left side, he got really agitated. What could I do to stop this until I can get him to a vet?

Chihuahuas are famous for having dental issues. Unfortunately if you are seeing red gums this probably means either gingivitis or periodontitis. When this happens the only decent option we have is to have the teeth scaled and polished under a general anesthetic.

Some dogs with dental disease will tolerate using a chlorhexadine rinse. This is something you can buy from your vet and it is not terribly expensive. It may help a little bit but it will only be temporary.

If you can't afford a dental cleaning right away your vet may be willing to prescribe some antibiotics which will help for a short period as well.

I hope everything goes ok!

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (11822 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (12838 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (7628 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7305 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (15110 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7174 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (6957 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (9942 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (10557 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (8966 views)