Sore gums in chihuahua.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they bled a little but on the left side, he got really agitated. What could I do to stop this until I can get him to a vet?

Chihuahuas are famous for having dental issues. Unfortunately if you are seeing red gums this probably means either gingivitis or periodontitis. When this happens the only decent option we have is to have the teeth scaled and polished under a general anesthetic.

Some dogs with dental disease will tolerate using a chlorhexadine rinse. This is something you can buy from your vet and it is not terribly expensive. It may help a little bit but it will only be temporary.

If you can't afford a dental cleaning right away your vet may be willing to prescribe some antibiotics which will help for a short period as well.

I hope everything goes ok!

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (6502 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (38086 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (146716 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (12119 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14210 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (4661 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7237 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5503 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8725 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (13753 views)