Sore gums in chihuahua.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they bled a little but on the left side, he got really agitated. What could I do to stop this until I can get him to a vet?

Chihuahuas are famous for having dental issues. Unfortunately if you are seeing red gums this probably means either gingivitis or periodontitis. When this happens the only decent option we have is to have the teeth scaled and polished under a general anesthetic.

Some dogs with dental disease will tolerate using a chlorhexadine rinse. This is something you can buy from your vet and it is not terribly expensive. It may help a little bit but it will only be temporary.

If you can't afford a dental cleaning right away your vet may be willing to prescribe some antibiotics which will help for a short period as well.

I hope everything goes ok!

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (30676 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (13016 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (18992 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (14980 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (15013 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (29328 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (13155 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (77015 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (6393 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8754 views)