Sore gums in chihuahua.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they bled a little but on the left side, he got really agitated. What could I do to stop this until I can get him to a vet?

Chihuahuas are famous for having dental issues. Unfortunately if you are seeing red gums this probably means either gingivitis or periodontitis. When this happens the only decent option we have is to have the teeth scaled and polished under a general anesthetic.

Some dogs with dental disease will tolerate using a chlorhexadine rinse. This is something you can buy from your vet and it is not terribly expensive. It may help a little bit but it will only be temporary.

If you can't afford a dental cleaning right away your vet may be willing to prescribe some antibiotics which will help for a short period as well.

I hope everything goes ok!

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (10859 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (7259 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (29657 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12844 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (8468 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (11900 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (14378 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (20203 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (33633 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (17266 views)