Dog ate acorn

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit of acorn. I was watching her closely because I know that acorns are bad for dogs, but I couldn't stop her from nabbing part of one (I don't think she got a whole one). It's been about 20 minutes and she seems fine, but I know that's probably not long enough for her to show any symptoms of distress from it.

Also on this ill-fated walk, she chewed up a bit of her poopy bag and swallowed it. She didn't get much of it, definitely not the whole thing, but I'm wondering what I should look for.

I don't think that these things are emergencies, but I wanted to check with you to see what I should be watching for and if I should I do anything.

Thank you!
Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi there Julie!

I have good news for you...acorns are generally not toxic to dogs.

The biggest concern, when a dog eats an acorn is that the acorn could cause an intestinal obstruction. I'd be more concerned if Jammy was a little dog, but a Border Collie really should be able to pass an acorn just fine.

Large animals such as horses and cows can get sick from eating acorns. This is mostly because they are likely to eat a large amount (i.e. grazing in a field with lots of fallen acorns) and also because their intestinal tracts break down the acorn.

In theory, if a dog ate a massive amount of acorns and chewed each one (i.e. to expose the stuff on the inside) then this could cause some toxicity. But, if Jammy ate a tiny amount I wouldn't be worried.

Regarding her poop bag, the answer really depends on how much she ate. Again, if she ate a small amount this will likely pass through just fine.

I think the chances of Jammy getting an obstruction from either the poop bag or the acorn are small, but if you notice excessive vomiting and lack of appetite then she should take a trip to the vet's.

Thank you for your response. She seems to be fine more than 36 hours later, except for the frequency of her stools. She pooped once yesterday morning (12 hours after she ate the acorn and part of the poopy bag) but not since then. Usually she goes one to two times a day or more--should I wait to see if she will go again in the next few hours?

I really appreciate your help! I'm trying to convince my husband that we should make the 8 hour drive up to your vet clinic. :o)

That would be quite the commute! I have some clients who drive an hour to see me, but 8 would be a little excessive. :)

It's not a bad idea to see if Jammy will eat a bran muffin, or some canned food with 1/4 tsp bran on it. This may help to move things along.

It doesn't sound like an obstruction though, but if we start to see a lack of appetite and vomiting then I'd have her seen.

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Okay, that's good to hear. She hasn't vomited but last night (about 24 hours after the acorn/poopy bag incident) her tummy was bothering her (she ate some grass and was trying to eat the carpet a bit, which have been signs in the past that her tummy wasn't feeling so great). I fed her half of her dinner right away and she seemed to be fine--so I think it was related to being hungry and not necessarily her extra-cirricular eating activities from the night before.

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (20409 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8326 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (9204 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (12016 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5038 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (12162 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7369 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (14531 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6835 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (7432 views)