Itchy dog.

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more than usual the past few days. I noticed last night that she has chewed off the fur (she has fairly long hair) around the base of her tail. We have 5 mini dachshunds living in the house and a couple of them had been scratching a bit. I gave all the dogs baths over 2 weeks ago with a new medicated itch relief and shed control shampoo with lavender. What can I do for Chloe? Could this be a reaction to the shampoo? Or possibly something worse that requires medication?
Erica

Hi Erica and thanks for your question. While I won't be able to say for sure what is going on, I can give you a few ideas.

When I see a dog who is chewing at the base of their tail it is almost always because of fleas. Some dogs can be very allergic to fleas. It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for us to not be able to see them. But there are some things that you can look for.

Have a look at the skin around this bald area and see if you can find any little tiny black flecks. If so, take them and put them on a white paper towel and then put a drop of water on them. If you can get them to smear a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

However, even if I didn't see flea dirt I would be treating for fleas...especially because some of the other dogs are itchy as well.

The best thing you can do is to get a prescription strength flea product from your veterinarian such as Revolution, Advantage, Frontline or Comfortis. The products you can buy in the pet store do not work well at all.

You'll need to treat all of the pets in the house and treat them for at least three months in a row.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area. It is possible that Chloe has something called a hot spot. A hot spot is a skin infection that has started with a break in the skin. These need to be treated with antibiotics and steroids, both of which would be prescribed by a veterinarian.

While allergies can cause itchiness, it's rare to have itchiness over the base of the tail.

I hope that helps! And I hope everybody is better soon!

Thank you very much!

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (18841 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (11694 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (18299 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (21909 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8312 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19163 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (25292 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (13011 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23338 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (42337 views)