Itchy dog.

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more than usual the past few days. I noticed last night that she has chewed off the fur (she has fairly long hair) around the base of her tail. We have 5 mini dachshunds living in the house and a couple of them had been scratching a bit. I gave all the dogs baths over 2 weeks ago with a new medicated itch relief and shed control shampoo with lavender. What can I do for Chloe? Could this be a reaction to the shampoo? Or possibly something worse that requires medication?
Erica

Hi Erica and thanks for your question. While I won't be able to say for sure what is going on, I can give you a few ideas.

When I see a dog who is chewing at the base of their tail it is almost always because of fleas. Some dogs can be very allergic to fleas. It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for us to not be able to see them. But there are some things that you can look for.

Have a look at the skin around this bald area and see if you can find any little tiny black flecks. If so, take them and put them on a white paper towel and then put a drop of water on them. If you can get them to smear a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

However, even if I didn't see flea dirt I would be treating for fleas...especially because some of the other dogs are itchy as well.

The best thing you can do is to get a prescription strength flea product from your veterinarian such as Revolution, Advantage, Frontline or Comfortis. The products you can buy in the pet store do not work well at all.

You'll need to treat all of the pets in the house and treat them for at least three months in a row.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area. It is possible that Chloe has something called a hot spot. A hot spot is a skin infection that has started with a break in the skin. These need to be treated with antibiotics and steroids, both of which would be prescribed by a veterinarian.

While allergies can cause itchiness, it's rare to have itchiness over the base of the tail.

I hope that helps! And I hope everybody is better soon!

Thank you very much!

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10944 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (16584 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6065 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6773 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11024 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (23260 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8103 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6902 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7895 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (7910 views)