Itchy dog.

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more than usual the past few days. I noticed last night that she has chewed off the fur (she has fairly long hair) around the base of her tail. We have 5 mini dachshunds living in the house and a couple of them had been scratching a bit. I gave all the dogs baths over 2 weeks ago with a new medicated itch relief and shed control shampoo with lavender. What can I do for Chloe? Could this be a reaction to the shampoo? Or possibly something worse that requires medication?
Erica

Hi Erica and thanks for your question. While I won't be able to say for sure what is going on, I can give you a few ideas.

When I see a dog who is chewing at the base of their tail it is almost always because of fleas. Some dogs can be very allergic to fleas. It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for us to not be able to see them. But there are some things that you can look for.

Have a look at the skin around this bald area and see if you can find any little tiny black flecks. If so, take them and put them on a white paper towel and then put a drop of water on them. If you can get them to smear a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

However, even if I didn't see flea dirt I would be treating for fleas...especially because some of the other dogs are itchy as well.

The best thing you can do is to get a prescription strength flea product from your veterinarian such as Revolution, Advantage, Frontline or Comfortis. The products you can buy in the pet store do not work well at all.

You'll need to treat all of the pets in the house and treat them for at least three months in a row.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area. It is possible that Chloe has something called a hot spot. A hot spot is a skin infection that has started with a break in the skin. These need to be treated with antibiotics and steroids, both of which would be prescribed by a veterinarian.

While allergies can cause itchiness, it's rare to have itchiness over the base of the tail.

I hope that helps! And I hope everybody is better soon!

Thank you very much!

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11093 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (23879 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (19123 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (15436 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (14245 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (9891 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (15702 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (7521 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6206 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9580 views)