Itchy dog.

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more than usual the past few days. I noticed last night that she has chewed off the fur (she has fairly long hair) around the base of her tail. We have 5 mini dachshunds living in the house and a couple of them had been scratching a bit. I gave all the dogs baths over 2 weeks ago with a new medicated itch relief and shed control shampoo with lavender. What can I do for Chloe? Could this be a reaction to the shampoo? Or possibly something worse that requires medication?
Erica

Hi Erica and thanks for your question. While I won't be able to say for sure what is going on, I can give you a few ideas.

When I see a dog who is chewing at the base of their tail it is almost always because of fleas. Some dogs can be very allergic to fleas. It is really common for a dog to have fleas and for us to not be able to see them. But there are some things that you can look for.

Have a look at the skin around this bald area and see if you can find any little tiny black flecks. If so, take them and put them on a white paper towel and then put a drop of water on them. If you can get them to smear a rusty color then this is flea dirt.

However, even if I didn't see flea dirt I would be treating for fleas...especially because some of the other dogs are itchy as well.

The best thing you can do is to get a prescription strength flea product from your veterinarian such as Revolution, Advantage, Frontline or Comfortis. The products you can buy in the pet store do not work well at all.

You'll need to treat all of the pets in the house and treat them for at least three months in a row.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area. It is possible that Chloe has something called a hot spot. A hot spot is a skin infection that has started with a break in the skin. These need to be treated with antibiotics and steroids, both of which would be prescribed by a veterinarian.

While allergies can cause itchiness, it's rare to have itchiness over the base of the tail.

I hope that helps! And I hope everybody is better soon!

Thank you very much!

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15689 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (11209 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (9456 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (14608 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (14548 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (56387 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (10021 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7759 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (15379 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (28885 views)