Blood in puppy's poo.

Breed: Labradore
Hi Dr Marie.

We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we have got him, he has had very runny poo. Today I heard him whineing and then found blood in his poo. Should I be worried and should i take him to the vet?

Thank you,

Yasmin.

Blood in the stool of a dog is not usually a concern as long as the dog is bright and happy and eating well. However, if a puppy has runny stool then it could be a sign of worms.

If the puppy is not eating and quiet then this could something serious like parvo virus.

In any case I think it would be a great idea to have your vet do a fecal exam to look for parasites.

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (8623 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (4183 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (29285 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (8520 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (5560 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (17850 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (7894 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7164 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7415 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (6424 views)