Lump near nipple.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's third nipple up from her tail (on the left side if she is on her back and you are at her head looking down at her tail). It may be part of her innards (to use the technical term). She was spayed at 6 months before she went into heat and was recently examined by the vet (along with extensive bloodwork, urinalysis, etc) and there was nothing abnormal in those results. The lump does not appear to cause her pain when I push in on it and is not visible. It is not hard and not soft, but about the same squishiness as her other organs.

I am particularly wondering if I should make an extra trip to the vet to have this checked out, or if you think it would be alright to wait until her next routine checkup.

Thank you for your fantastic service! I always appreciate knowing that when I ask you a question I am getting sound advice!
Julie

Hi there Julie. Jammy is sure giving you a lot to get concerned about lately!

Lumps are always hard to talk about over the internet. But, I can give you some generalizations.

First of all, the fact that Jammy was spayed before her first heat makes a cancerous mammary tumor extremely unlikely.

The only things that would make me rush in to have this checked would be the following:
  • If the lump gets hard and irregular feeling

• If it is becoming painful

• If it is oozing

• If it is rapidly changing in size or consistency

• If it looks dark red, purple or black

• If your gut is just telling you that "something is wrong"

My first guess is that this could be a fatty tumor called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. It could also be a reaction to some type of insect sting or foreign object (like a splinter).

Keep in mind again, that an online discussion like this definitely can't take the place of having your vet see Jammy's lump. But from what you've described I don't think you need to make a visit any time soon for this.

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (10129 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (11829 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (8180 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (7447 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (39684 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (14040 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17732 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (23034 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (33151 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (125759 views)