Lump near nipple.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's third nipple up from her tail (on the left side if she is on her back and you are at her head looking down at her tail). It may be part of her innards (to use the technical term). She was spayed at 6 months before she went into heat and was recently examined by the vet (along with extensive bloodwork, urinalysis, etc) and there was nothing abnormal in those results. The lump does not appear to cause her pain when I push in on it and is not visible. It is not hard and not soft, but about the same squishiness as her other organs.

I am particularly wondering if I should make an extra trip to the vet to have this checked out, or if you think it would be alright to wait until her next routine checkup.

Thank you for your fantastic service! I always appreciate knowing that when I ask you a question I am getting sound advice!
Julie

Hi there Julie. Jammy is sure giving you a lot to get concerned about lately!

Lumps are always hard to talk about over the internet. But, I can give you some generalizations.

First of all, the fact that Jammy was spayed before her first heat makes a cancerous mammary tumor extremely unlikely.

The only things that would make me rush in to have this checked would be the following:
  • If the lump gets hard and irregular feeling

• If it is becoming painful

• If it is oozing

• If it is rapidly changing in size or consistency

• If it looks dark red, purple or black

• If your gut is just telling you that "something is wrong"

My first guess is that this could be a fatty tumor called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. It could also be a reaction to some type of insect sting or foreign object (like a splinter).

Keep in mind again, that an online discussion like this definitely can't take the place of having your vet see Jammy's lump. But from what you've described I don't think you need to make a visit any time soon for this.

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7940 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19144 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10631 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (6732 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8853 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (23264 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5365 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (34055 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (6089 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7449 views)