Lump near nipple.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's third nipple up from her tail (on the left side if she is on her back and you are at her head looking down at her tail). It may be part of her innards (to use the technical term). She was spayed at 6 months before she went into heat and was recently examined by the vet (along with extensive bloodwork, urinalysis, etc) and there was nothing abnormal in those results. The lump does not appear to cause her pain when I push in on it and is not visible. It is not hard and not soft, but about the same squishiness as her other organs.

I am particularly wondering if I should make an extra trip to the vet to have this checked out, or if you think it would be alright to wait until her next routine checkup.

Thank you for your fantastic service! I always appreciate knowing that when I ask you a question I am getting sound advice!
Julie

Hi there Julie. Jammy is sure giving you a lot to get concerned about lately!

Lumps are always hard to talk about over the internet. But, I can give you some generalizations.

First of all, the fact that Jammy was spayed before her first heat makes a cancerous mammary tumor extremely unlikely.

The only things that would make me rush in to have this checked would be the following:
  • If the lump gets hard and irregular feeling

• If it is becoming painful

• If it is oozing

• If it is rapidly changing in size or consistency

• If it looks dark red, purple or black

• If your gut is just telling you that "something is wrong"

My first guess is that this could be a fatty tumor called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. It could also be a reaction to some type of insect sting or foreign object (like a splinter).

Keep in mind again, that an online discussion like this definitely can't take the place of having your vet see Jammy's lump. But from what you've described I don't think you need to make a visit any time soon for this.

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (16320 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (42675 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (12585 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (17549 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (14019 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (11545 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (8768 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (16388 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (10704 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (19556 views)