Lump near nipple.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's third nipple up from her tail (on the left side if she is on her back and you are at her head looking down at her tail). It may be part of her innards (to use the technical term). She was spayed at 6 months before she went into heat and was recently examined by the vet (along with extensive bloodwork, urinalysis, etc) and there was nothing abnormal in those results. The lump does not appear to cause her pain when I push in on it and is not visible. It is not hard and not soft, but about the same squishiness as her other organs.

I am particularly wondering if I should make an extra trip to the vet to have this checked out, or if you think it would be alright to wait until her next routine checkup.

Thank you for your fantastic service! I always appreciate knowing that when I ask you a question I am getting sound advice!
Julie

Hi there Julie. Jammy is sure giving you a lot to get concerned about lately!

Lumps are always hard to talk about over the internet. But, I can give you some generalizations.

First of all, the fact that Jammy was spayed before her first heat makes a cancerous mammary tumor extremely unlikely.

The only things that would make me rush in to have this checked would be the following:
  • If the lump gets hard and irregular feeling

• If it is becoming painful

• If it is oozing

• If it is rapidly changing in size or consistency

• If it looks dark red, purple or black

• If your gut is just telling you that "something is wrong"

My first guess is that this could be a fatty tumor called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. It could also be a reaction to some type of insect sting or foreign object (like a splinter).

Keep in mind again, that an online discussion like this definitely can't take the place of having your vet see Jammy's lump. But from what you've described I don't think you need to make a visit any time soon for this.

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24466 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (34179 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5297 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45165 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5674 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17859 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21390 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14778 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8276 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8283 views)