Lump near nipple.

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's third nipple up from her tail (on the left side if she is on her back and you are at her head looking down at her tail). It may be part of her innards (to use the technical term). She was spayed at 6 months before she went into heat and was recently examined by the vet (along with extensive bloodwork, urinalysis, etc) and there was nothing abnormal in those results. The lump does not appear to cause her pain when I push in on it and is not visible. It is not hard and not soft, but about the same squishiness as her other organs.

I am particularly wondering if I should make an extra trip to the vet to have this checked out, or if you think it would be alright to wait until her next routine checkup.

Thank you for your fantastic service! I always appreciate knowing that when I ask you a question I am getting sound advice!
Julie

Hi there Julie. Jammy is sure giving you a lot to get concerned about lately!

Lumps are always hard to talk about over the internet. But, I can give you some generalizations.

First of all, the fact that Jammy was spayed before her first heat makes a cancerous mammary tumor extremely unlikely.

The only things that would make me rush in to have this checked would be the following:
  • If the lump gets hard and irregular feeling

• If it is becoming painful

• If it is oozing

• If it is rapidly changing in size or consistency

• If it looks dark red, purple or black

• If your gut is just telling you that "something is wrong"

My first guess is that this could be a fatty tumor called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. It could also be a reaction to some type of insect sting or foreign object (like a splinter).

Keep in mind again, that an online discussion like this definitely can't take the place of having your vet see Jammy's lump. But from what you've described I don't think you need to make a visit any time soon for this.

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (679452 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (11574 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6549 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (8514 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (12303 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (7168 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15565 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (20250 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9108 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15835 views)