Stomatitis and FIV.

Breed: tortisshell
my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i do not want that . is there any hope of keeping aand her not to suffer .i do not beleive they will pull her teeth since she has fiv. thanks bev

Hi Beverly..I'm sorry to hear that Susie is having these problems.

Feline stomatitis is a very difficult problem to deal with and as you know, even more difficult in a cat with FIV.

I have had some decent success with steroid injections (depo-medrol) in these cats. The problem is that the injections need to be given regularly and this can cause a cat to develop diabetes. It is not common for this to happen - I have seen steroid induced diabetes two or three times in my ten year career.

Another problem though with giving steroid injections to an FIV cat is that it may further weaken the immune system.

It's often hard to tell if a cat is suffering. How I judge how a cat feels is by how their appetite is. If she is eating fairly well then she is likely not in pain or suffering. But, if her appetite is down then this is not a good sign.

There are also mouth rinses that can be used but likely you are trying this already. I often prescribe a chlorhexadine oral rinse.

You could talk to your vet about a medicine called Atopica (cyclosporin). It can often be more effective than prednisone or steroid injections and it has fewer side effects. However, it can be quite expensive.

I hope this information helps. I really hope Susie is ok. It can be challenging raising a cat with FIV.

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (10975 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (14686 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (10463 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (9328 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (6871 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (10750 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (12527 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (33419 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10055 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7084 views)