Stomatitis and FIV.

Breed: tortisshell
my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i do not want that . is there any hope of keeping aand her not to suffer .i do not beleive they will pull her teeth since she has fiv. thanks bev

Hi Beverly..I'm sorry to hear that Susie is having these problems.

Feline stomatitis is a very difficult problem to deal with and as you know, even more difficult in a cat with FIV.

I have had some decent success with steroid injections (depo-medrol) in these cats. The problem is that the injections need to be given regularly and this can cause a cat to develop diabetes. It is not common for this to happen - I have seen steroid induced diabetes two or three times in my ten year career.

Another problem though with giving steroid injections to an FIV cat is that it may further weaken the immune system.

It's often hard to tell if a cat is suffering. How I judge how a cat feels is by how their appetite is. If she is eating fairly well then she is likely not in pain or suffering. But, if her appetite is down then this is not a good sign.

There are also mouth rinses that can be used but likely you are trying this already. I often prescribe a chlorhexadine oral rinse.

You could talk to your vet about a medicine called Atopica (cyclosporin). It can often be more effective than prednisone or steroid injections and it has fewer side effects. However, it can be quite expensive.

I hope this information helps. I really hope Susie is ok. It can be challenging raising a cat with FIV.

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5780 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10383 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21029 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (11560 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (7762 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10843 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (114790 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22412 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38094 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (19327 views)