Stomatitis and FIV.

Breed: tortisshell
my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i do not want that . is there any hope of keeping aand her not to suffer .i do not beleive they will pull her teeth since she has fiv. thanks bev

Hi Beverly..I'm sorry to hear that Susie is having these problems.

Feline stomatitis is a very difficult problem to deal with and as you know, even more difficult in a cat with FIV.

I have had some decent success with steroid injections (depo-medrol) in these cats. The problem is that the injections need to be given regularly and this can cause a cat to develop diabetes. It is not common for this to happen - I have seen steroid induced diabetes two or three times in my ten year career.

Another problem though with giving steroid injections to an FIV cat is that it may further weaken the immune system.

It's often hard to tell if a cat is suffering. How I judge how a cat feels is by how their appetite is. If she is eating fairly well then she is likely not in pain or suffering. But, if her appetite is down then this is not a good sign.

There are also mouth rinses that can be used but likely you are trying this already. I often prescribe a chlorhexadine oral rinse.

You could talk to your vet about a medicine called Atopica (cyclosporin). It can often be more effective than prednisone or steroid injections and it has fewer side effects. However, it can be quite expensive.

I hope this information helps. I really hope Susie is ok. It can be challenging raising a cat with FIV.

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6227 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (12799 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (13090 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (8100 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (12718 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (21735 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (11715 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (28796 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (22962 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (21315 views)