Stomatitis and FIV.

Breed: tortisshell
my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i do not want that . is there any hope of keeping aand her not to suffer .i do not beleive they will pull her teeth since she has fiv. thanks bev

Hi Beverly..I'm sorry to hear that Susie is having these problems.

Feline stomatitis is a very difficult problem to deal with and as you know, even more difficult in a cat with FIV.

I have had some decent success with steroid injections (depo-medrol) in these cats. The problem is that the injections need to be given regularly and this can cause a cat to develop diabetes. It is not common for this to happen - I have seen steroid induced diabetes two or three times in my ten year career.

Another problem though with giving steroid injections to an FIV cat is that it may further weaken the immune system.

It's often hard to tell if a cat is suffering. How I judge how a cat feels is by how their appetite is. If she is eating fairly well then she is likely not in pain or suffering. But, if her appetite is down then this is not a good sign.

There are also mouth rinses that can be used but likely you are trying this already. I often prescribe a chlorhexadine oral rinse.

You could talk to your vet about a medicine called Atopica (cyclosporin). It can often be more effective than prednisone or steroid injections and it has fewer side effects. However, it can be quite expensive.

I hope this information helps. I really hope Susie is ok. It can be challenging raising a cat with FIV.

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7906 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (12194 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (11511 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (6082 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8973 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7697 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7032 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12473 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (7469 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59414 views)