Stomatitis and FIV.

Breed: tortisshell
my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i do not want that . is there any hope of keeping aand her not to suffer .i do not beleive they will pull her teeth since she has fiv. thanks bev

Hi Beverly..I'm sorry to hear that Susie is having these problems.

Feline stomatitis is a very difficult problem to deal with and as you know, even more difficult in a cat with FIV.

I have had some decent success with steroid injections (depo-medrol) in these cats. The problem is that the injections need to be given regularly and this can cause a cat to develop diabetes. It is not common for this to happen - I have seen steroid induced diabetes two or three times in my ten year career.

Another problem though with giving steroid injections to an FIV cat is that it may further weaken the immune system.

It's often hard to tell if a cat is suffering. How I judge how a cat feels is by how their appetite is. If she is eating fairly well then she is likely not in pain or suffering. But, if her appetite is down then this is not a good sign.

There are also mouth rinses that can be used but likely you are trying this already. I often prescribe a chlorhexadine oral rinse.

You could talk to your vet about a medicine called Atopica (cyclosporin). It can often be more effective than prednisone or steroid injections and it has fewer side effects. However, it can be quite expensive.

I hope this information helps. I really hope Susie is ok. It can be challenging raising a cat with FIV.

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (24181 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12077 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9671 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27930 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4827 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (34032 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (77828 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (13271 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15941 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16043 views)