Are brewers grains safe for dogs?

Breed: Golden Retriever
Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are made with brewers grains, but I thought I read somewhere that they are toxic for dogs.

What do you think?

I do not recommend feeding brewers grain to your dog. Although some dogs can handle this ingredient well, it can cause very serious problems in others.

Ingestion of brewers grain can cause a condition called malignant hyperthermia in dogs.

Malignant hyperthermia is a very serious condition. Dogs that get this condition have a genetic issue that causes them to be affected. The following breeds of dogs are known to possibly be susceptible to malignant hyperthermia:
  • Border Collie

• English Springer Spaniel

• Golden Retriever

• Greyhound

• Irish Wolfhound

• Labrador Retreiver

If your dog has the genetic mutation that causes malignant hyperthermia then any of the following can trigger the disease:
  • Exposure to gas anesthetic, especially one called halothane

• Ingestion of coffee or brewers grains

• Excessive exercise

Symptoms of malignant hyperthermia include a high body temperature, muscle contractions and seizures. It can be life threatening and sadly there have been many cases of dogs dying after eating

Now, with all of this said, I think that it's possible that most of the treats that are out there that are made from spent grains are probably NOT going to cause your dog to get malignant hyperthermia. I suspect that in order to get ill, the dog would have to eat a large amount of brewers grains. There is probably not enough brewers grain in these treats to trigger malignant hyperthermia.

But, I personally would not recommend feeding these treats as we simply don't know enough about how brewers grain can trigger malignant hyperthermia.

While dogs love hops, they can be severely toxic and even cause death.
Here is a research article that talks about five dogs dying after ingesting spent grains.

Again, in small amounts spent grains are probably safe, but given that the risks are so high I would not want to take the chance.

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15830 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5986 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (192723 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (42107 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (22368 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (54504 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (6030 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (43904 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10381 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9649 views)