Are brewers grains safe for dogs?

Breed: Golden Retriever
Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are made with brewers grains, but I thought I read somewhere that they are toxic for dogs.

What do you think?

I do not recommend feeding brewers grain to your dog. Although some dogs can handle this ingredient well, it can cause very serious problems in others.

Ingestion of brewers grain can cause a condition called malignant hyperthermia in dogs.

Malignant hyperthermia is a very serious condition. Dogs that get this condition have a genetic issue that causes them to be affected. The following breeds of dogs are known to possibly be susceptible to malignant hyperthermia:
  • Border Collie

• English Springer Spaniel

• Golden Retriever

• Greyhound

• Irish Wolfhound

• Labrador Retreiver

If your dog has the genetic mutation that causes malignant hyperthermia then any of the following can trigger the disease:
  • Exposure to gas anesthetic, especially one called halothane

• Ingestion of coffee or brewers grains

• Excessive exercise

Symptoms of malignant hyperthermia include a high body temperature, muscle contractions and seizures. It can be life threatening and sadly there have been many cases of dogs dying after eating

Now, with all of this said, I think that it's possible that most of the treats that are out there that are made from spent grains are probably NOT going to cause your dog to get malignant hyperthermia. I suspect that in order to get ill, the dog would have to eat a large amount of brewers grains. There is probably not enough brewers grain in these treats to trigger malignant hyperthermia.

But, I personally would not recommend feeding these treats as we simply don't know enough about how brewers grain can trigger malignant hyperthermia.

While dogs love hops, they can be severely toxic and even cause death.
Here is a research article that talks about five dogs dying after ingesting spent grains.

Again, in small amounts spent grains are probably safe, but given that the risks are so high I would not want to take the chance.

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (6107 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (14087 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (17439 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15509 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (60961 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11567 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (11648 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (23323 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (13336 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (46052 views)