Are brewers grains safe for dogs?

Breed: Golden Retriever
Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are made with brewers grains, but I thought I read somewhere that they are toxic for dogs.

What do you think?

I do not recommend feeding brewers grain to your dog. Although some dogs can handle this ingredient well, it can cause very serious problems in others.

Ingestion of brewers grain can cause a condition called malignant hyperthermia in dogs.

Malignant hyperthermia is a very serious condition. Dogs that get this condition have a genetic issue that causes them to be affected. The following breeds of dogs are known to possibly be susceptible to malignant hyperthermia:
  • Border Collie

• English Springer Spaniel

• Golden Retriever

• Greyhound

• Irish Wolfhound

• Labrador Retreiver

If your dog has the genetic mutation that causes malignant hyperthermia then any of the following can trigger the disease:
  • Exposure to gas anesthetic, especially one called halothane

• Ingestion of coffee or brewers grains

• Excessive exercise

Symptoms of malignant hyperthermia include a high body temperature, muscle contractions and seizures. It can be life threatening and sadly there have been many cases of dogs dying after eating

Now, with all of this said, I think that it's possible that most of the treats that are out there that are made from spent grains are probably NOT going to cause your dog to get malignant hyperthermia. I suspect that in order to get ill, the dog would have to eat a large amount of brewers grains. There is probably not enough brewers grain in these treats to trigger malignant hyperthermia.

But, I personally would not recommend feeding these treats as we simply don't know enough about how brewers grain can trigger malignant hyperthermia.

While dogs love hops, they can be severely toxic and even cause death.
Here is a research article that talks about five dogs dying after ingesting spent grains.

Again, in small amounts spent grains are probably safe, but given that the risks are so high I would not want to take the chance.

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (2725 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (49266 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (5182 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (6740 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (12897 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (8425 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (5434 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (2843 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (23871 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (3443 views)