Are brewers grains safe for dogs?

Breed: Golden Retriever
Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are made with brewers grains, but I thought I read somewhere that they are toxic for dogs.

What do you think?

I do not recommend feeding brewers grain to your dog. Although some dogs can handle this ingredient well, it can cause very serious problems in others.

Ingestion of brewers grain can cause a condition called malignant hyperthermia in dogs.

Malignant hyperthermia is a very serious condition. Dogs that get this condition have a genetic issue that causes them to be affected. The following breeds of dogs are known to possibly be susceptible to malignant hyperthermia:
  • Border Collie

• English Springer Spaniel

• Golden Retriever

• Greyhound

• Irish Wolfhound

• Labrador Retreiver

If your dog has the genetic mutation that causes malignant hyperthermia then any of the following can trigger the disease:
  • Exposure to gas anesthetic, especially one called halothane

• Ingestion of coffee or brewers grains

• Excessive exercise

Symptoms of malignant hyperthermia include a high body temperature, muscle contractions and seizures. It can be life threatening and sadly there have been many cases of dogs dying after eating

Now, with all of this said, I think that it's possible that most of the treats that are out there that are made from spent grains are probably NOT going to cause your dog to get malignant hyperthermia. I suspect that in order to get ill, the dog would have to eat a large amount of brewers grains. There is probably not enough brewers grain in these treats to trigger malignant hyperthermia.

But, I personally would not recommend feeding these treats as we simply don't know enough about how brewers grain can trigger malignant hyperthermia.

While dogs love hops, they can be severely toxic and even cause death.
Here is a research article that talks about five dogs dying after ingesting spent grains.

Again, in small amounts spent grains are probably safe, but given that the risks are so high I would not want to take the chance.

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (9244 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (3115 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (42178 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (7837 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (14078 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (5997 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (20993 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (50042 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (6823 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (6616 views)