Cat vomits after eating wet food.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It sounds like dry heaves, and she never actually vomits. It lasts for a minute and then, she is fine. She eats her dry food without any problems like this. What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Autumn is doing this strange thing. It's going to be tough to say for certain what is causing this behavior but I can give you a few possibilities.

It may be that she is simply sensitive to something in the wet food. It may not be necessarily because the food is wet, but it could be one of the ingredients that is upsetting her stomach. I am guessing that this is indeed vomiting even though nothing actually comes out. It may just not be severe enough for her to actually vomit food up.

The next possibility is that what she is doing is actually coughing, not vomiting. The most common reason for coughing is asthma. So, why would she have an asthma attack after eating wet food? In cats, asthma is almost always because of some sort of an allergy. It is possible that something in the wet food is triggering an allergy in Autumn. Now, the most common reaction for food allergy is diarrhea, but it is still possible.

There are other possibilities that are much less likely such as a foreign object in her throat, esophagus or stomach. However, I wouldn't be able to explain why wet food would trigger this and not dry food. Another rare possibility would be a neurological problem affecting the nerves connected to swallowing.

At this point, if she is happy to eat and she is not losing weight then I would likely just cut out the wet food. Or, if you prefer you could try small amounts of a different brand of wet food and see if that helps.

If it gets worse though, or if it starts to happen with dry food too, or if you feel there could be some weight loss then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at Autumn. At this age, we can start to see some age related problems that can be connected to vomiting such as hyperthyroidism.

I hope this has helped. :)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (14274 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (33095 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (13520 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5614 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (7592 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5279 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (28716 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (22414 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26151 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (13388 views)