Cat vomits after eating wet food.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It sounds like dry heaves, and she never actually vomits. It lasts for a minute and then, she is fine. She eats her dry food without any problems like this. What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Autumn is doing this strange thing. It's going to be tough to say for certain what is causing this behavior but I can give you a few possibilities.

It may be that she is simply sensitive to something in the wet food. It may not be necessarily because the food is wet, but it could be one of the ingredients that is upsetting her stomach. I am guessing that this is indeed vomiting even though nothing actually comes out. It may just not be severe enough for her to actually vomit food up.

The next possibility is that what she is doing is actually coughing, not vomiting. The most common reason for coughing is asthma. So, why would she have an asthma attack after eating wet food? In cats, asthma is almost always because of some sort of an allergy. It is possible that something in the wet food is triggering an allergy in Autumn. Now, the most common reaction for food allergy is diarrhea, but it is still possible.

There are other possibilities that are much less likely such as a foreign object in her throat, esophagus or stomach. However, I wouldn't be able to explain why wet food would trigger this and not dry food. Another rare possibility would be a neurological problem affecting the nerves connected to swallowing.

At this point, if she is happy to eat and she is not losing weight then I would likely just cut out the wet food. Or, if you prefer you could try small amounts of a different brand of wet food and see if that helps.

If it gets worse though, or if it starts to happen with dry food too, or if you feel there could be some weight loss then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at Autumn. At this age, we can start to see some age related problems that can be connected to vomiting such as hyperthyroidism.

I hope this has helped. :)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (25807 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (26310 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (11805 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (15024 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (6596 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (10983 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (17456 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (9748 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9065 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (6270 views)