Cat vomits after eating wet food.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It sounds like dry heaves, and she never actually vomits. It lasts for a minute and then, she is fine. She eats her dry food without any problems like this. What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Autumn is doing this strange thing. It's going to be tough to say for certain what is causing this behavior but I can give you a few possibilities.

It may be that she is simply sensitive to something in the wet food. It may not be necessarily because the food is wet, but it could be one of the ingredients that is upsetting her stomach. I am guessing that this is indeed vomiting even though nothing actually comes out. It may just not be severe enough for her to actually vomit food up.

The next possibility is that what she is doing is actually coughing, not vomiting. The most common reason for coughing is asthma. So, why would she have an asthma attack after eating wet food? In cats, asthma is almost always because of some sort of an allergy. It is possible that something in the wet food is triggering an allergy in Autumn. Now, the most common reaction for food allergy is diarrhea, but it is still possible.

There are other possibilities that are much less likely such as a foreign object in her throat, esophagus or stomach. However, I wouldn't be able to explain why wet food would trigger this and not dry food. Another rare possibility would be a neurological problem affecting the nerves connected to swallowing.

At this point, if she is happy to eat and she is not losing weight then I would likely just cut out the wet food. Or, if you prefer you could try small amounts of a different brand of wet food and see if that helps.

If it gets worse though, or if it starts to happen with dry food too, or if you feel there could be some weight loss then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at Autumn. At this age, we can start to see some age related problems that can be connected to vomiting such as hyperthyroidism.

I hope this has helped. :)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (18398 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (18096 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (17719 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (9635 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (15581 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (23447 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (32314 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (36650 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7154 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (16220 views)