Cat vomits after eating wet food.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It sounds like dry heaves, and she never actually vomits. It lasts for a minute and then, she is fine. She eats her dry food without any problems like this. What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Autumn is doing this strange thing. It's going to be tough to say for certain what is causing this behavior but I can give you a few possibilities.

It may be that she is simply sensitive to something in the wet food. It may not be necessarily because the food is wet, but it could be one of the ingredients that is upsetting her stomach. I am guessing that this is indeed vomiting even though nothing actually comes out. It may just not be severe enough for her to actually vomit food up.

The next possibility is that what she is doing is actually coughing, not vomiting. The most common reason for coughing is asthma. So, why would she have an asthma attack after eating wet food? In cats, asthma is almost always because of some sort of an allergy. It is possible that something in the wet food is triggering an allergy in Autumn. Now, the most common reaction for food allergy is diarrhea, but it is still possible.

There are other possibilities that are much less likely such as a foreign object in her throat, esophagus or stomach. However, I wouldn't be able to explain why wet food would trigger this and not dry food. Another rare possibility would be a neurological problem affecting the nerves connected to swallowing.

At this point, if she is happy to eat and she is not losing weight then I would likely just cut out the wet food. Or, if you prefer you could try small amounts of a different brand of wet food and see if that helps.

If it gets worse though, or if it starts to happen with dry food too, or if you feel there could be some weight loss then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at Autumn. At this age, we can start to see some age related problems that can be connected to vomiting such as hyperthyroidism.

I hope this has helped. :)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (113382 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (8650 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66705 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14237 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10293 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (29265 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7825 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19010 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22725 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6907 views)