Dog with pancreatitis.

Breed: Min Pin
My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I understand that the treatment is withholding food and giving IV fluids. The doctor calls me every day and gives me updates, but I am becoming mistrustful of them. He says the last blood test he took showed that his pancreatic enzymes were not any better as of today, Friday (five days later) but what is not consistent with that is that he tells me he is now feeding him. I asked him what he is doing now to bring down the inflammation and he told me he is giving him antibiotics. I asked him if I can do that at home to save in cost and he told me that my dog is nowhere near coming home. Does this seem right?

I'm sorry to hear that Fezz has pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition. While some dogs get better after 24-48 hours of staying in the hospital some need a lot longer.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. When a dog is initially diagnosed with pancreatitis we usually do not give them any food or water. However, once we have vomiting under control then we do start to feed them and offer water.

If your dog's pancreatic enzymes are still very high then he likely does still need to be hospitalized.

When a dog takes this long to recover from pancreatitis it can sometimes mean that he has a serious condition called necrotizing pancreatitis. Some dogs can die from this condition. Often though, with aggressive hospital care they can pull through.

I really hope Fezz does ok!

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16807 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (9347 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6197 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108361 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (100602 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39679 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (23679 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16983 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (22675 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12542 views)