Dog with pancreatitis.

Breed: Min Pin
My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I understand that the treatment is withholding food and giving IV fluids. The doctor calls me every day and gives me updates, but I am becoming mistrustful of them. He says the last blood test he took showed that his pancreatic enzymes were not any better as of today, Friday (five days later) but what is not consistent with that is that he tells me he is now feeding him. I asked him what he is doing now to bring down the inflammation and he told me he is giving him antibiotics. I asked him if I can do that at home to save in cost and he told me that my dog is nowhere near coming home. Does this seem right?

I'm sorry to hear that Fezz has pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition. While some dogs get better after 24-48 hours of staying in the hospital some need a lot longer.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. When a dog is initially diagnosed with pancreatitis we usually do not give them any food or water. However, once we have vomiting under control then we do start to feed them and offer water.

If your dog's pancreatic enzymes are still very high then he likely does still need to be hospitalized.

When a dog takes this long to recover from pancreatitis it can sometimes mean that he has a serious condition called necrotizing pancreatitis. Some dogs can die from this condition. Often though, with aggressive hospital care they can pull through.

I really hope Fezz does ok!

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (16201 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (8524 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (7155 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (16609 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (16179 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (12380 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (17115 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (13209 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (17277 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (10248 views)