Dog with pancreatitis.

Breed: Min Pin
My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I understand that the treatment is withholding food and giving IV fluids. The doctor calls me every day and gives me updates, but I am becoming mistrustful of them. He says the last blood test he took showed that his pancreatic enzymes were not any better as of today, Friday (five days later) but what is not consistent with that is that he tells me he is now feeding him. I asked him what he is doing now to bring down the inflammation and he told me he is giving him antibiotics. I asked him if I can do that at home to save in cost and he told me that my dog is nowhere near coming home. Does this seem right?

I'm sorry to hear that Fezz has pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition. While some dogs get better after 24-48 hours of staying in the hospital some need a lot longer.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. When a dog is initially diagnosed with pancreatitis we usually do not give them any food or water. However, once we have vomiting under control then we do start to feed them and offer water.

If your dog's pancreatic enzymes are still very high then he likely does still need to be hospitalized.

When a dog takes this long to recover from pancreatitis it can sometimes mean that he has a serious condition called necrotizing pancreatitis. Some dogs can die from this condition. Often though, with aggressive hospital care they can pull through.

I really hope Fezz does ok!

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4464 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (13871 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5242 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11723 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13941 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5010 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4746 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (6596 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9427 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14231 views)