Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog with pancreatitis.

Species: Dog
Breed: Min Pin
Age: 11-15 years
My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I understand that the treatment is withholding food and giving IV fluids. The doctor calls me every day and gives me updates, but I am becoming mistrustful of them. He says the last blood test he took showed that his pancreatic enzymes were not any better as of today, Friday (five days later) but what is not consistent with that is that he tells me he is now feeding him. I asked him what he is doing now to bring down the inflammation and he told me he is giving him antibiotics. I asked him if I can do that at home to save in cost and he told me that my dog is nowhere near coming home. Does this seem right?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm sorry to hear that Fezz has pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition. While some dogs get better after 24-48 hours of staying in the hospital some need a lot longer.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. When a dog is initially diagnosed with pancreatitis we usually do not give them any food or water. However, once we have vomiting under control then we do start to feed them and offer water.

If your dog's pancreatic enzymes are still very high then he likely does still need to be hospitalized.

When a dog takes this long to recover from pancreatitis it can sometimes mean that he has a serious condition called necrotizing pancreatitis. Some dogs can die from this condition. Often though, with aggressive hospital care they can pull through.

I really hope Fezz does ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16807 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (9347 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6197 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108361 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (100602 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39679 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (23679 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16983 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (22675 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12542 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.