Dog with pancreatitis.

Breed: Min Pin
My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I understand that the treatment is withholding food and giving IV fluids. The doctor calls me every day and gives me updates, but I am becoming mistrustful of them. He says the last blood test he took showed that his pancreatic enzymes were not any better as of today, Friday (five days later) but what is not consistent with that is that he tells me he is now feeding him. I asked him what he is doing now to bring down the inflammation and he told me he is giving him antibiotics. I asked him if I can do that at home to save in cost and he told me that my dog is nowhere near coming home. Does this seem right?

I'm sorry to hear that Fezz has pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition. While some dogs get better after 24-48 hours of staying in the hospital some need a lot longer.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. When a dog is initially diagnosed with pancreatitis we usually do not give them any food or water. However, once we have vomiting under control then we do start to feed them and offer water.

If your dog's pancreatic enzymes are still very high then he likely does still need to be hospitalized.

When a dog takes this long to recover from pancreatitis it can sometimes mean that he has a serious condition called necrotizing pancreatitis. Some dogs can die from this condition. Often though, with aggressive hospital care they can pull through.

I really hope Fezz does ok!

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (14348 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (18380 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (56070 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11520 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (71725 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (15750 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (6182 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (25041 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (25197 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (12062 views)