Fearful puppy?

Breed: sheltie
I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they had puppies. I took the puppy home and was very excited to have her. I recently took her to my vet and the vet picked her up, the puppy struggled to get away, once down on the ground, the vet tried to pet the puppy and the puppy backed away. the vet told me this is a bad sign and that the puppy will be fearful her whole life. the vet told me that puppies should go up to everyone and I shoould return her. She is only 9 weeks old. Is it normal for puppies to be scared of people? Will this puppy be fearful and shy because she is acting scared now?

I'm sorry to hear that your first vet visit wasn't the nicest experience.

While we can never say for sure what a pup is going to turn out like, we can usually get some clues when a puppy is young. Most puppies for their first vet visit are either trying to kiss and play with me or they are mostly sleeping. I do tend to get concerned when I have a puppy that is acting fearful of me.

With that being said, it may not be too late. We believe that dogs learn their socialization skills in the first 12 weeks of life. So, if this was my puppy I would do all I could to give her great social experiences. Make sure she has lots of exposure to people and that she has good experiences with them. Get friends to come over and give her treats. When she is having these experiences be sure never to reprimand her or punish her in any way. We want her to think that people are GREAT!

If you have friends with dogs that you know are vaccinated and healthy then try to introduce them to your new one. Again, you want to do all you can to make it fun for her.

No one can tell you how your pup will turn out but her behavior at the vet's office is a bit of a red flag. I really hope she turns out to be ok!

the puppy is also scared of noises and some objects. I try to make them fun for her with treats and acting happy. is being scared of noises normal for a puppy? what is normal for a puppy? and what is not normal?

That's tough to answer. I suppose some noises would be scary to any animal, but a normal pup wouldn't be too upset about regular every day noises.

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (8263 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (27600 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8126 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (98110 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4878 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8305 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19358 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (17644 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (82968 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25024 views)