Fearful puppy?

Breed: sheltie
I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they had puppies. I took the puppy home and was very excited to have her. I recently took her to my vet and the vet picked her up, the puppy struggled to get away, once down on the ground, the vet tried to pet the puppy and the puppy backed away. the vet told me this is a bad sign and that the puppy will be fearful her whole life. the vet told me that puppies should go up to everyone and I shoould return her. She is only 9 weeks old. Is it normal for puppies to be scared of people? Will this puppy be fearful and shy because she is acting scared now?

I'm sorry to hear that your first vet visit wasn't the nicest experience.

While we can never say for sure what a pup is going to turn out like, we can usually get some clues when a puppy is young. Most puppies for their first vet visit are either trying to kiss and play with me or they are mostly sleeping. I do tend to get concerned when I have a puppy that is acting fearful of me.

With that being said, it may not be too late. We believe that dogs learn their socialization skills in the first 12 weeks of life. So, if this was my puppy I would do all I could to give her great social experiences. Make sure she has lots of exposure to people and that she has good experiences with them. Get friends to come over and give her treats. When she is having these experiences be sure never to reprimand her or punish her in any way. We want her to think that people are GREAT!

If you have friends with dogs that you know are vaccinated and healthy then try to introduce them to your new one. Again, you want to do all you can to make it fun for her.

No one can tell you how your pup will turn out but her behavior at the vet's office is a bit of a red flag. I really hope she turns out to be ok!

the puppy is also scared of noises and some objects. I try to make them fun for her with treats and acting happy. is being scared of noises normal for a puppy? what is normal for a puppy? and what is not normal?

That's tough to answer. I suppose some noises would be scary to any animal, but a normal pup wouldn't be too upset about regular every day noises.

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (10456 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9822 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (23077 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (40187 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9767 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (5037 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (30253 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (10260 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5361 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10441 views)