Fearful puppy?

Breed: sheltie
I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they had puppies. I took the puppy home and was very excited to have her. I recently took her to my vet and the vet picked her up, the puppy struggled to get away, once down on the ground, the vet tried to pet the puppy and the puppy backed away. the vet told me this is a bad sign and that the puppy will be fearful her whole life. the vet told me that puppies should go up to everyone and I shoould return her. She is only 9 weeks old. Is it normal for puppies to be scared of people? Will this puppy be fearful and shy because she is acting scared now?

I'm sorry to hear that your first vet visit wasn't the nicest experience.

While we can never say for sure what a pup is going to turn out like, we can usually get some clues when a puppy is young. Most puppies for their first vet visit are either trying to kiss and play with me or they are mostly sleeping. I do tend to get concerned when I have a puppy that is acting fearful of me.

With that being said, it may not be too late. We believe that dogs learn their socialization skills in the first 12 weeks of life. So, if this was my puppy I would do all I could to give her great social experiences. Make sure she has lots of exposure to people and that she has good experiences with them. Get friends to come over and give her treats. When she is having these experiences be sure never to reprimand her or punish her in any way. We want her to think that people are GREAT!

If you have friends with dogs that you know are vaccinated and healthy then try to introduce them to your new one. Again, you want to do all you can to make it fun for her.

No one can tell you how your pup will turn out but her behavior at the vet's office is a bit of a red flag. I really hope she turns out to be ok!

the puppy is also scared of noises and some objects. I try to make them fun for her with treats and acting happy. is being scared of noises normal for a puppy? what is normal for a puppy? and what is not normal?

That's tough to answer. I suppose some noises would be scary to any animal, but a normal pup wouldn't be too upset about regular every day noises.

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (9589 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (6385 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9468 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (19234 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10976 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (100505 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (15608 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9245 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (79707 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (48635 views)