Stop dogs from fighting.

Breed: Dachshund
I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this? It has gotten out of hand. They are both spayed. I am in desperate need for help. Have tried angexity meds. but that does not work.

This is a tough question to answer, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The first thing that I usually suggest when a client has a problem with two dogs not getting along is to make sure that both are thoroughly obedience trained. This usually means enrolling them (and you) in classes. The point is that they learn to listen to you. That way, if you can see a problem is happening, you can tell both dogs to SIT and STAY and they should listen.

I would highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviouralist if there is one available in your area. This would be a veterinarian who has done extra training for behavioural issues. They can really help you to work through this problem. But, this will not be inexpensive and can take some time.

If there is no behaviouralist available in your area then hiring a dog trainer can often help. However, there are good trainers out there and also some who are not so good. Get references if you do hire one.

You mentioned that you have tried anxiety meds. There are a number of different kinds and if one kind does not work, you might find that another kind does. The best option when using anti-anxiety medication is to do so in conjunction with working with a good trainer or veterinary behaviouralist. I have had good success with a drug called Reconcile but other ones that your vets may try include Clomicalm and even Xanax.

There are some dogs that are really difficult to train. I have had some situations where I have recommended rehoming a dog rather than having them fight all the time. Or, another option is to keep a cage muzzle on the aggressive dog. This is not the type of muzzle where the mouth is shut all the time, but one where they can breathe and pant well but can't bite. It's not an optimal solution but it is something that works.

I wish I had more helpful advice for you. Unfortunately this is a really difficult problem.

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (10051 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (20555 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (14667 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (10694 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (10619 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (9774 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (7815 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (22927 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (10042 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (14836 views)