Stop dogs from fighting.

Breed: Dachshund
I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this? It has gotten out of hand. They are both spayed. I am in desperate need for help. Have tried angexity meds. but that does not work.

This is a tough question to answer, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The first thing that I usually suggest when a client has a problem with two dogs not getting along is to make sure that both are thoroughly obedience trained. This usually means enrolling them (and you) in classes. The point is that they learn to listen to you. That way, if you can see a problem is happening, you can tell both dogs to SIT and STAY and they should listen.

I would highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviouralist if there is one available in your area. This would be a veterinarian who has done extra training for behavioural issues. They can really help you to work through this problem. But, this will not be inexpensive and can take some time.

If there is no behaviouralist available in your area then hiring a dog trainer can often help. However, there are good trainers out there and also some who are not so good. Get references if you do hire one.

You mentioned that you have tried anxiety meds. There are a number of different kinds and if one kind does not work, you might find that another kind does. The best option when using anti-anxiety medication is to do so in conjunction with working with a good trainer or veterinary behaviouralist. I have had good success with a drug called Reconcile but other ones that your vets may try include Clomicalm and even Xanax.

There are some dogs that are really difficult to train. I have had some situations where I have recommended rehoming a dog rather than having them fight all the time. Or, another option is to keep a cage muzzle on the aggressive dog. This is not the type of muzzle where the mouth is shut all the time, but one where they can breathe and pant well but can't bite. It's not an optimal solution but it is something that works.

I wish I had more helpful advice for you. Unfortunately this is a really difficult problem.

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (9401 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (11591 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19812 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (9588 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (33056 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10941 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (9560 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11298 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (9121 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (10644 views)