Stop dogs from fighting.

Breed: Dachshund
I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this? It has gotten out of hand. They are both spayed. I am in desperate need for help. Have tried angexity meds. but that does not work.

This is a tough question to answer, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The first thing that I usually suggest when a client has a problem with two dogs not getting along is to make sure that both are thoroughly obedience trained. This usually means enrolling them (and you) in classes. The point is that they learn to listen to you. That way, if you can see a problem is happening, you can tell both dogs to SIT and STAY and they should listen.

I would highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviouralist if there is one available in your area. This would be a veterinarian who has done extra training for behavioural issues. They can really help you to work through this problem. But, this will not be inexpensive and can take some time.

If there is no behaviouralist available in your area then hiring a dog trainer can often help. However, there are good trainers out there and also some who are not so good. Get references if you do hire one.

You mentioned that you have tried anxiety meds. There are a number of different kinds and if one kind does not work, you might find that another kind does. The best option when using anti-anxiety medication is to do so in conjunction with working with a good trainer or veterinary behaviouralist. I have had good success with a drug called Reconcile but other ones that your vets may try include Clomicalm and even Xanax.

There are some dogs that are really difficult to train. I have had some situations where I have recommended rehoming a dog rather than having them fight all the time. Or, another option is to keep a cage muzzle on the aggressive dog. This is not the type of muzzle where the mouth is shut all the time, but one where they can breathe and pant well but can't bite. It's not an optimal solution but it is something that works.

I wish I had more helpful advice for you. Unfortunately this is a really difficult problem.

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22978 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (10380 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16970 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (57908 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (16430 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (9073 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (166956 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (7703 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (10400 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (22381 views)