Stop dogs from fighting.

Breed: Dachshund
I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this? It has gotten out of hand. They are both spayed. I am in desperate need for help. Have tried angexity meds. but that does not work.

This is a tough question to answer, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The first thing that I usually suggest when a client has a problem with two dogs not getting along is to make sure that both are thoroughly obedience trained. This usually means enrolling them (and you) in classes. The point is that they learn to listen to you. That way, if you can see a problem is happening, you can tell both dogs to SIT and STAY and they should listen.

I would highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviouralist if there is one available in your area. This would be a veterinarian who has done extra training for behavioural issues. They can really help you to work through this problem. But, this will not be inexpensive and can take some time.

If there is no behaviouralist available in your area then hiring a dog trainer can often help. However, there are good trainers out there and also some who are not so good. Get references if you do hire one.

You mentioned that you have tried anxiety meds. There are a number of different kinds and if one kind does not work, you might find that another kind does. The best option when using anti-anxiety medication is to do so in conjunction with working with a good trainer or veterinary behaviouralist. I have had good success with a drug called Reconcile but other ones that your vets may try include Clomicalm and even Xanax.

There are some dogs that are really difficult to train. I have had some situations where I have recommended rehoming a dog rather than having them fight all the time. Or, another option is to keep a cage muzzle on the aggressive dog. This is not the type of muzzle where the mouth is shut all the time, but one where they can breathe and pant well but can't bite. It's not an optimal solution but it is something that works.

I wish I had more helpful advice for you. Unfortunately this is a really difficult problem.

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (12997 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13150 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (55540 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (21780 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9247 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18386 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (40147 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (77454 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (26278 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8120 views)