Coughing dog.

Breed: Min Pin
I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we attended the local State fair and I bought some treats for my dogs. I do this every year. Over the last week I gave both dogs treats. But about Thurs. Tazz started coughing and acting like he was choking. It has been like this now for about 4 days. When he sleeps he sounds fine but when he moves around is when it all starts. I am going to try to attache a short video. Could it be something in his throat or from what I am reading Kennel cough. The other dog "Harley" is fine. Thank you. The video would not attache.

Hmmm...interesting. I am guessing that this is not connected to the treats at all, but rather it could be kennel cough. There are other possibilities too.

Have a look on my page about kennel cough. I've got some videos there that show dogs with kennel cough. Often it can sound like they are choking.

I know you would think that Harley would get sick as well, but it's just like viruses with us. Sometimes my daughter and I may have a cold but my husband may be fine. It all depends on how your immune system deals with the virus.

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, or something called collapsing trachea, but these usually don't come on all of a sudden like this.

If Tazz is still eating ok it's probably ok to wait for a couple of more days before deciding if you need to go to the vet. Here are some criteria that would make me want to see the vet right away:

-If he doesn't want to eat.
-If the coughing is so severe that it is bothering everyone. (The vet can prescribe cough suppressants).
-If Tazz seems really really unwell.
-If your gut is just telling you that this is something more serious.

If it is kennel cough, most dogs recover within a week, but sometimes the cough can linger for longer.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you. Can I give him some cough med? And he still has somewhat of a appetite. Not as much as normal though.

Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter cough medicine that we know is safe and effective for dogs with kennel cough. I usually prescribe hycodan but that is a narcotic so you can only get it through your veterinarian. The problem with most over the counter cough meds is that they contain a bunch of medicines in them and no one has tested those to see if they are safe for dogs.

As long as he's got some appetite he's likely ok to wait to see the vet. But if the cough is so severe that he's doing it all day long then it may be best to have him see a vet today if possible.

Thank you so very much for your help. We really appriciate it. Our problem is money. You are the best. And after looking at the videos you have, I am pretty positive he has Kennel cough. Thank you so much again.

You're very welcome! Hope he's feeling better soon!

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (8456 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (15954 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (18955 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (21188 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (13108 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (12215 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (36477 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (10747 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (11763 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (8297 views)