Coughing dog.

Breed: Min Pin
I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we attended the local State fair and I bought some treats for my dogs. I do this every year. Over the last week I gave both dogs treats. But about Thurs. Tazz started coughing and acting like he was choking. It has been like this now for about 4 days. When he sleeps he sounds fine but when he moves around is when it all starts. I am going to try to attache a short video. Could it be something in his throat or from what I am reading Kennel cough. The other dog "Harley" is fine. Thank you. The video would not attache.

Hmmm...interesting. I am guessing that this is not connected to the treats at all, but rather it could be kennel cough. There are other possibilities too.

Have a look on my page about kennel cough. I've got some videos there that show dogs with kennel cough. Often it can sound like they are choking.

I know you would think that Harley would get sick as well, but it's just like viruses with us. Sometimes my daughter and I may have a cold but my husband may be fine. It all depends on how your immune system deals with the virus.

There are other things that can make a dog cough such as a heart problem, or something called collapsing trachea, but these usually don't come on all of a sudden like this.

If Tazz is still eating ok it's probably ok to wait for a couple of more days before deciding if you need to go to the vet. Here are some criteria that would make me want to see the vet right away:

-If he doesn't want to eat.
-If the coughing is so severe that it is bothering everyone. (The vet can prescribe cough suppressants).
-If Tazz seems really really unwell.
-If your gut is just telling you that this is something more serious.

If it is kennel cough, most dogs recover within a week, but sometimes the cough can linger for longer.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you. Can I give him some cough med? And he still has somewhat of a appetite. Not as much as normal though.

Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter cough medicine that we know is safe and effective for dogs with kennel cough. I usually prescribe hycodan but that is a narcotic so you can only get it through your veterinarian. The problem with most over the counter cough meds is that they contain a bunch of medicines in them and no one has tested those to see if they are safe for dogs.

As long as he's got some appetite he's likely ok to wait to see the vet. But if the cough is so severe that he's doing it all day long then it may be best to have him see a vet today if possible.

Thank you so very much for your help. We really appriciate it. Our problem is money. You are the best. And after looking at the videos you have, I am pretty positive he has Kennel cough. Thank you so much again.

You're very welcome! Hope he's feeling better soon!

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (16933 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (35240 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8098 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (19151 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9465 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (7057 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (12744 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (12636 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (36447 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22261 views)