Stop dog fighting.

Breed: Mix
Hi
I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will nip at them or bossy them around. Sometimes a fight happens when the other dogs can't take the pushy behavior. How can I stop a fight from happening? should I correct the pushy behavior? What should I do?

Also I wanted to know if you know of any brands that offer low protein dry dog food for my older dog
thanks

This is a tough question to answer as there is no easy solution.

My first question would be whether or not Lassie is spayed. If not, then getting her spayed can make a difference. Hormones can play a big role in behavior issues.

I would highly advise starting Lassie in some obedience classes. You'll need to mention to the director of the classes that she has some dog aggression issues just to make sure that they are comfortable taking her on. She may need to wear a cage muzzle during the classes for everyone's safety. (A cage muzzle allows her to breathe just fine while still offering protection.) Obedience classes will teach her to to be obedient to you, but will also teach you how to give her commands and how to deal with her bad behavior.

You might also consider a hiring a private trainer for Lassie as well.

You can talk to your vet about possibly using some medication along with the training. Something like Reconcile or Clomicalm can help her to do a little better. Medication on its own (without training) is not likely to do a whole lot though.

The safest way to break up a dog fight is to grab your dog's tail to pull her away. It's a tough call though because you could potentially cause her harm. You never want to get your hands near the dog's face or head for obvious reasons.

The food question is really a second question so I won't go into great detail. But generally, I don't recommend a special food for seniors unless they have a particular health problem. So, for example, if your dog has a kidney problem, then I'd recommend a prescription kidney food. If you wanted to feed a senior food simply because the dog is getting older, then all of the major brands really do sell senior foods. I like Royal Canin, Science diet and Iams. But again, if this was my dog I would stick with his or her regular food unless there were health issues.

thank you, after the fight, what should I do with the 2 dogs? tell both of them no? a time out? thanks

Hmmm...I don't really think there is much that you can do. If you do any sort of punishment, it's just going to add to your dog's anxiety. A time out may be helpful just to calm your dog down and keep her separate from the other dog. But, it is not likely to teach her not to do it again.

I think I would just do what I could to keep the dogs separate so they don't go at it again and that's really all you could do.

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6151 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16901 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17635 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (31933 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7346 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8185 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8213 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9079 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8300 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (31283 views)