Stop dog fighting.

Breed: Mix
Hi
I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will nip at them or bossy them around. Sometimes a fight happens when the other dogs can't take the pushy behavior. How can I stop a fight from happening? should I correct the pushy behavior? What should I do?

Also I wanted to know if you know of any brands that offer low protein dry dog food for my older dog
thanks

This is a tough question to answer as there is no easy solution.

My first question would be whether or not Lassie is spayed. If not, then getting her spayed can make a difference. Hormones can play a big role in behavior issues.

I would highly advise starting Lassie in some obedience classes. You'll need to mention to the director of the classes that she has some dog aggression issues just to make sure that they are comfortable taking her on. She may need to wear a cage muzzle during the classes for everyone's safety. (A cage muzzle allows her to breathe just fine while still offering protection.) Obedience classes will teach her to to be obedient to you, but will also teach you how to give her commands and how to deal with her bad behavior.

You might also consider a hiring a private trainer for Lassie as well.

You can talk to your vet about possibly using some medication along with the training. Something like Reconcile or Clomicalm can help her to do a little better. Medication on its own (without training) is not likely to do a whole lot though.

The safest way to break up a dog fight is to grab your dog's tail to pull her away. It's a tough call though because you could potentially cause her harm. You never want to get your hands near the dog's face or head for obvious reasons.

The food question is really a second question so I won't go into great detail. But generally, I don't recommend a special food for seniors unless they have a particular health problem. So, for example, if your dog has a kidney problem, then I'd recommend a prescription kidney food. If you wanted to feed a senior food simply because the dog is getting older, then all of the major brands really do sell senior foods. I like Royal Canin, Science diet and Iams. But again, if this was my dog I would stick with his or her regular food unless there were health issues.

thank you, after the fight, what should I do with the 2 dogs? tell both of them no? a time out? thanks

Hmmm...I don't really think there is much that you can do. If you do any sort of punishment, it's just going to add to your dog's anxiety. A time out may be helpful just to calm your dog down and keep her separate from the other dog. But, it is not likely to teach her not to do it again.

I think I would just do what I could to keep the dogs separate so they don't go at it again and that's really all you could do.

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8310 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (29270 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (28218 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (6671 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (9428 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (6041 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (33726 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (38141 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (27770 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (15504 views)