Kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: Maine Coon
My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much she is having trouble moving what could be wrong?

Sorry to hear that Zena is not well.

You have checked off in your description of Zena that she is under 3 months old. I get really concerned when a young kitten doesn't want to eat. There are a number of possibilities for what could be going on.

Has she had any vaccinations? If she is not fully vaccinated then she could have a virus such as panleukopenia. This is a very serious virus that is the equivalent of parvo virus in dogs. (It is not contagious to dogs though.)

It's also possible that she has some parasites but they would have to be quite severe to cause her to be so unwell.

Another possibility is if she has eaten something that has caused a partial obstruction in her intestines. Again, this is very serious.

A change in food can cause some diarrhea in cats but generally it doesn't cause them to be not moving and very quiet.

Whatever the cause, I would highly recommend that you have your vet see Zena as soon as possible. Kittens are not good at fighting dehydration and can die if they are sick for too long.

Your vet will do a very good exam. They may determine that she is sick enough to need to stay in the hospital and need fluids. Or, they may possibly just give you medication to give her at home to help with the diarrhea and to improve her appetite. When you go, it's a good idea to bring a stool sample with you. The vet can do tests on this to determine if there are any parasites present, and if so, what medications are needed to treat them.

Unfortunately there is no at-home treatment that I can recommend for her.

I really hope that she is ok!

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24239 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (11401 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (15060 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9149 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5501 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (28130 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7959 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (8409 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (22283 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15520 views)