Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (40927 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (13539 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (223353 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (15934 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (13831 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6443 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4387 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (11485 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (20693 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (20200 views)