Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4541 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (9705 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9258 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (12669 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8683 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (6747 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (27697 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (7839 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (4886 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (26597 views)