Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (22901 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (23001 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (27600 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (21176 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (21627 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (53106 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (15431 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (61626 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (7362 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (18676 views)