Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (10805 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (5417 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (9127 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (10492 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (41810 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (33777 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (4795 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (49648 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (4834 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (11940 views)