Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (8283 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (12403 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (33197 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (20644 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19341 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15713 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (12856 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8899 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (51067 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (56951 views)