Pain meds after spay?

Breed: spaniel
Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been spayed?
Thank you

I don't send my dog spays home with antibiotics. And, it is quite rare that I see a dog get an infection after a surgery.

I usually do send my dog spays home with pain medication. Unforunately in many places it is optional. The reason for this is that vet clinics need to keep their price low for "shoppable" reasons. So, if my price for spay included pain meds it's going to be more expensive than another clinic and I will lose business.

However, I do think again that every dog should have some pain relief after a spay.

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (6458 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (16185 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (6241 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (60506 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (28362 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14385 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (8549 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (11220 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (6673 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (20933 views)