Cause of high ALP?

Breed: miniature schnauzer
mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg tablet ev 24 hrs) sent home with 5 tabs.Post bladder stone removal surgery.8/28/11 mickey was given an injection of 2mil dexamethasone for itchy foot pads.9/4/11 mickey was sent home with rimadyl (1/2 75mg tablet ev 24hrs) sent home with 3 tabs. diagnosis was preputial infection.9/11/11 mickey was seen for recheck of preputial infection and the vet did a blood panel.9/13/11 i received the results by email. one value was high. ALK Phosphatase was 286.normal is 5 to 131. my question is: could dexamethasone and rimadyl given together have a sinergistic effect and increase the ALK Phosphatase level? should dexamethasone and rimadyl be given together? what is the possibility pre cushings disease could be increasing the ALK Phosphatase level? mickeys ALK Phosphatase level was tested 8/12/11 result was 144. it has increased by 118 to 286. hopefully the increase is due to dexamethasone and rimadyl given together and no permanent liver enzyme elevation (cushings disease) exists.i will have another blood panel done in 6 months and hopefully it will be in normal range.one more question: how long before mickeys body is completely rid of the dexamethasone and rimadyl?

any info on the above is greatly appreciated.

judy

Hi Judy and thanks for an interesting question. Hopefully I can give you some good answers!

The first thing to know about Mickey's bloodwork is that an ALP level of 286 is really nothing to worry about. I only start to get concerned about ALP levels in dogs when they are extremely elevated (like 400 and above). A mild increase like this is extremely unlikely to be anything to worry about. It is also really common and often we don't know why.

There is a good possibility that either the dexamethasone or the rimadyl has caused the slight elevation. If this were my case I would be doing the same thing - taking him off of medications and then retesting his level in the future.

You asked whether Rimadyl and Dexamethasone can be given at the same time. The answer is no. However, it is ok to give these drugs as long as there is a suitable time lapse in between. It sounds like this has been followed appropriately. I don't see any problem with the regiment that he had.

This is extremely unlikely to be because of cushing's disease. It is true that steroids can cause cushings. However, we see this when dogs have had large amounts of steroids over a long period of time and this wasn't the case with Mickey.

The dexamethasone and rimadyl are likely out of his system already. However, if either of them caused a slight increase in ALP, it may take several weeks or months for the level to come down. I would really only be worried about it if Mickey was really unwell, or if he had an extreme thirst and urinary output.

This may be a case where too much internet research has caused a lot of worry! I would be really surprised if there is any serious issue with Mickey.

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (9771 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (13197 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (48563 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (8214 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (12772 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (24530 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (11453 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (45094 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (83432 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8168 views)