Puppies with dandruff.

Breed: unknown
We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it looks as if they have a bad case of dandruff. i have tried putting vinegar on them but it has not helped with their itching. can you please tell me what i can do for them.

There are a number of things that can cause itchiness in small puppies. Vinegar is not going to help at all. In fact it can be very irritating to the puppies.

One possibility is that they have a skin parasite called cheyletiella. This is commonly called "walking dandruff". It can be treated by getting a prescription strength flea product from your vet.

The next possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection. This would need to be treated with prescription medication from the vet as well.

A bacterial infection is possible, but shouldn't be affecting all of the puppies.

Fleas are possible as well, even if you can't see them. Here is more information on fleas.

Sometimes dogs with roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can have a flaky coat but this shouldn't cause hair loss or itchiness.

A parasite called demodex can cause this as well.

In any case though there really is no at home treatment. It sounds like you're going to have to have a vet take a look at one or all of the puppies and give you a diagnosis!

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (74764 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (8414 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (11496 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (22486 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (15067 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (35345 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (15157 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (18411 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (15119 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (22589 views)