Puppies with dandruff.

Breed: unknown
We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it looks as if they have a bad case of dandruff. i have tried putting vinegar on them but it has not helped with their itching. can you please tell me what i can do for them.

There are a number of things that can cause itchiness in small puppies. Vinegar is not going to help at all. In fact it can be very irritating to the puppies.

One possibility is that they have a skin parasite called cheyletiella. This is commonly called "walking dandruff". It can be treated by getting a prescription strength flea product from your vet.

The next possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection. This would need to be treated with prescription medication from the vet as well.

A bacterial infection is possible, but shouldn't be affecting all of the puppies.

Fleas are possible as well, even if you can't see them. Here is more information on fleas.

Sometimes dogs with roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can have a flaky coat but this shouldn't cause hair loss or itchiness.

A parasite called demodex can cause this as well.

In any case though there really is no at home treatment. It sounds like you're going to have to have a vet take a look at one or all of the puppies and give you a diagnosis!

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (11764 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (49722 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (23559 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4928 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10228 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (4628 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13007 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (14138 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (62866 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18290 views)