Puppies with dandruff.

Breed: unknown
We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it looks as if they have a bad case of dandruff. i have tried putting vinegar on them but it has not helped with their itching. can you please tell me what i can do for them.

There are a number of things that can cause itchiness in small puppies. Vinegar is not going to help at all. In fact it can be very irritating to the puppies.

One possibility is that they have a skin parasite called cheyletiella. This is commonly called "walking dandruff". It can be treated by getting a prescription strength flea product from your vet.

The next possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection. This would need to be treated with prescription medication from the vet as well.

A bacterial infection is possible, but shouldn't be affecting all of the puppies.

Fleas are possible as well, even if you can't see them. Here is more information on fleas.

Sometimes dogs with roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can have a flaky coat but this shouldn't cause hair loss or itchiness.

A parasite called demodex can cause this as well.

In any case though there really is no at home treatment. It sounds like you're going to have to have a vet take a look at one or all of the puppies and give you a diagnosis!

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (13980 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7687 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8019 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8884 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5944 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8871 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10048 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16411 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (40370 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9014 views)