Puppies with dandruff.

Breed: unknown
We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it looks as if they have a bad case of dandruff. i have tried putting vinegar on them but it has not helped with their itching. can you please tell me what i can do for them.

There are a number of things that can cause itchiness in small puppies. Vinegar is not going to help at all. In fact it can be very irritating to the puppies.

One possibility is that they have a skin parasite called cheyletiella. This is commonly called "walking dandruff". It can be treated by getting a prescription strength flea product from your vet.

The next possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection. This would need to be treated with prescription medication from the vet as well.

A bacterial infection is possible, but shouldn't be affecting all of the puppies.

Fleas are possible as well, even if you can't see them. Here is more information on fleas.

Sometimes dogs with roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can have a flaky coat but this shouldn't cause hair loss or itchiness.

A parasite called demodex can cause this as well.

In any case though there really is no at home treatment. It sounds like you're going to have to have a vet take a look at one or all of the puppies and give you a diagnosis!

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (8238 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (9351 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (10085 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (38621 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (69287 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23883 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (10229 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12569 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11489 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10240 views)