Puppies with dandruff.

Breed: unknown
We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it looks as if they have a bad case of dandruff. i have tried putting vinegar on them but it has not helped with their itching. can you please tell me what i can do for them.

There are a number of things that can cause itchiness in small puppies. Vinegar is not going to help at all. In fact it can be very irritating to the puppies.

One possibility is that they have a skin parasite called cheyletiella. This is commonly called "walking dandruff". It can be treated by getting a prescription strength flea product from your vet.

The next possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection. This would need to be treated with prescription medication from the vet as well.

A bacterial infection is possible, but shouldn't be affecting all of the puppies.

Fleas are possible as well, even if you can't see them. Here is more information on fleas.

Sometimes dogs with roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can have a flaky coat but this shouldn't cause hair loss or itchiness.

A parasite called demodex can cause this as well.

In any case though there really is no at home treatment. It sounds like you're going to have to have a vet take a look at one or all of the puppies and give you a diagnosis!

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10489 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11607 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13721 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (9436 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19264 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (74865 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18956 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16521 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (12109 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13781 views)