Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Accidently cut dog's skin

Species: Dog
Breed: cockerspaniel poodle
Age: 5-8 years
i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around the top of his head. He freaked out and the sissors cut the top of his i lid just a tiny bit, enough that you could see the cut, there is very little blood coming out though. I bought a wound and infection spray just to prevent infection to his eye. I would take him to the vet but im big time broke, will his eye be okay? and what else could i possibly do to help it?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi and thanks for your question.

First of all, don't feel bad about doing this. It is quite common. I have even had my well trained staff occasionally nick a dog or cat when they are grooming them.

This is a hard question for me to answer without seeing the extent of the wound. If it is a tiny cut it will likely heal on its own. It may get a little scabby over the next few days but should be healed within a week or two.

If you notice that it is oozing yellow or green or if it seems really bothersome to Jack then this means that there is some infection and he will need to see a veterinarian.

I wouldn't bother putting any ointment or spray on it as these don't tend to be terribly helpful.

I hope he is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (12382 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (25206 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (15127 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (45433 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (16153 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (26159 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (28685 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (12162 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (30308 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10955 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.