Benadryl for swollen snout?

Breed: american bull dog
my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its allergic reaction to something? wondering if i can give her benadryl or something to get her threw the night?

Hi there and thanks for your question. While I usually stay away from advising on medication online, a potential allergic reaction is one case where I will advise trying benadryl.

The most common cause for a swollen muzzle like this is an insect sting such as a wasp or bee.

If your dog is between 30-60 pounds a safe and hopefully effective dose is 50mg. Benadryl generally comes in a 25 mg strength, so 2 tablets should be given.

There are other things that can cause swelling such as a tooth root infection, so if things don't improve by the morning then a vet visit is in store.

Some allergic reactions can be quite serious. So, if you see that your dog is having difficulty breathing, or if her gums look very pale and she is really acting unwell then an emergency visit may be in order.

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13222 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (92067 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6855 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13078 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (10056 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (43005 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6635 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14700 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7897 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9990 views)