Benadryl for swollen snout?

Breed: american bull dog
my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its allergic reaction to something? wondering if i can give her benadryl or something to get her threw the night?

Hi there and thanks for your question. While I usually stay away from advising on medication online, a potential allergic reaction is one case where I will advise trying benadryl.

The most common cause for a swollen muzzle like this is an insect sting such as a wasp or bee.

If your dog is between 30-60 pounds a safe and hopefully effective dose is 50mg. Benadryl generally comes in a 25 mg strength, so 2 tablets should be given.

There are other things that can cause swelling such as a tooth root infection, so if things don't improve by the morning then a vet visit is in store.

Some allergic reactions can be quite serious. So, if you see that your dog is having difficulty breathing, or if her gums look very pale and she is really acting unwell then an emergency visit may be in order.

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13751 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8100 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13706 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6897 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9236 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (28568 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8018 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14486 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6766 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (13813 views)