Benadryl for swollen snout?

Breed: american bull dog
my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its allergic reaction to something? wondering if i can give her benadryl or something to get her threw the night?

Hi there and thanks for your question. While I usually stay away from advising on medication online, a potential allergic reaction is one case where I will advise trying benadryl.

The most common cause for a swollen muzzle like this is an insect sting such as a wasp or bee.

If your dog is between 30-60 pounds a safe and hopefully effective dose is 50mg. Benadryl generally comes in a 25 mg strength, so 2 tablets should be given.

There are other things that can cause swelling such as a tooth root infection, so if things don't improve by the morning then a vet visit is in store.

Some allergic reactions can be quite serious. So, if you see that your dog is having difficulty breathing, or if her gums look very pale and she is really acting unwell then an emergency visit may be in order.

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11682 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (7812 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (19191 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (24577 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12019 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (38049 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (8973 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5231 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (13464 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (11359 views)