Benadryl for swollen snout?

Breed: american bull dog
my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its allergic reaction to something? wondering if i can give her benadryl or something to get her threw the night?

Hi there and thanks for your question. While I usually stay away from advising on medication online, a potential allergic reaction is one case where I will advise trying benadryl.

The most common cause for a swollen muzzle like this is an insect sting such as a wasp or bee.

If your dog is between 30-60 pounds a safe and hopefully effective dose is 50mg. Benadryl generally comes in a 25 mg strength, so 2 tablets should be given.

There are other things that can cause swelling such as a tooth root infection, so if things don't improve by the morning then a vet visit is in store.

Some allergic reactions can be quite serious. So, if you see that your dog is having difficulty breathing, or if her gums look very pale and she is really acting unwell then an emergency visit may be in order.

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4737 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5089 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53597 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6793 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12468 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (10922 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10823 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (50900 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5725 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23571 views)