Benadryl for swollen snout?

Breed: american bull dog
my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its allergic reaction to something? wondering if i can give her benadryl or something to get her threw the night?

Hi there and thanks for your question. While I usually stay away from advising on medication online, a potential allergic reaction is one case where I will advise trying benadryl.

The most common cause for a swollen muzzle like this is an insect sting such as a wasp or bee.

If your dog is between 30-60 pounds a safe and hopefully effective dose is 50mg. Benadryl generally comes in a 25 mg strength, so 2 tablets should be given.

There are other things that can cause swelling such as a tooth root infection, so if things don't improve by the morning then a vet visit is in store.

Some allergic reactions can be quite serious. So, if you see that your dog is having difficulty breathing, or if her gums look very pale and she is really acting unwell then an emergency visit may be in order.

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10526 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (14137 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20853 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (55511 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20503 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (10329 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7865 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14319 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4681 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (8054 views)