Bump near anus.

Breed: mastiff/boxer
My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a pimple just resembles the size of a large one. Last night I wiped his butt with a baby wipe (he is a messy pooper so clean him regularly) and noticed blood...I guess the bump had burst. No puss just bright red, fresh blood and just a little. Im not sure if I should be concerned. We have two other dogs and two cats in the house as well. I will email photos. Thank you!

Thanks for sending me photos...although I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where this bump is. Here are the photos you sent me:

bump near dog's anus

dog's anus

If this bump is on the anus (but I'm thinking it's not by looking at the picture), then I'd be worried it could be an anal sac abscess. These can be very painful and I would recommend that you have your vet take a look.

However, if it is elsewhere, like on the leg then there are a few possibilities. It could be a tiny localized area of infection which yes, could be from an ingrown hair...or possibly even from a foreign object like a splinter. If this is the case, then there is a good chance that it will heal on its own. You can wipe it with a warm cloth a few times a day and this should help.

It could also be a benign cyst which is nothing to worry about.

Occasionally we can see tumors that can look like this but I would be surprised if this is what it is. If the lump has not gone away within a week or so or if it comes back then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look.

It really doesn't look like anything to be terribly concerned over, but I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing him. I hope things work out ok!

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16870 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (114443 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9497 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6279 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15997 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30464 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22908 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12630 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (6007 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (29370 views)