Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Pug died after pooping blood.

Species: Dog
Breed: pug
Age: 2-5 years
my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never been sick a day in her life. She started out Monday around noon vomiting white foaming stuff but still drink water and was walking.
My vet is out of town so I thought I would call another one Yesterday morning but Monday night around 9 she started pooping blood. Maybe 3 small puddles during the night. The only strange thing was she kept digging the water out of her bowlwith her feet. That night she was shaking but once she pooped blood the shaking stopped. She has always eaten any paper of any kind that is on the floor. No way posion. I am always with her. I know it won't bring her back but my heart is breaking. It happend so very fast. I would like to have an idea what it could have been. She has always been so healthly. She gets her shots on time and is a house dog. Please, if you could just guess and what the white foam and then the blood and her to go so fast. Thanks so much. Sharon


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened!

I won't be able to tell you for certain what caused Daisy's death, but I'll give you a few ideas of what could cause a dog to have bloody stools, vomit foam, shake and then pass away.

My first thought is that she possibly had something called a mesenteric torsion. This is really not a common thing but what happens is that the intestines get twisted around. It's kind of like bloat, but rather than the stomach twisting, the intestines twist. When this happens, the blood supply to the intestines is damaged and the intestines start to break down. If it was a mesenteric torsion, it was no one's fault and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

Any time an animal dies after pooping blood I wonder if there was some type of a clotting problem. You mentioned that poison was not possible. Was there any rat or mouse poison around your property? If so, these poisons are very tasty. Once ingested they cause the dog to not be able to clot their blood and eventually they bleed to death. Another possible reason for blood clotting problems would be a condition called immune mediated thrombocytopenia. This is a condition where the immune system destroy's an animals platelets which are the cells responsible for clotting blood. We don't know why animals get this, and there is nothing you could have done to prevent it.

Another possibility is if she had swallowed something she shouldn't have that either caused a blockage or a perforation of her intestines.

And a final thing that I can think of is a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). This condition causes a sudden amount of bleeding from the intestines. Again, we don't know the cause.

Unfortunately we'll never know what happened. If you really need to know, you could have your veterinarian do a post mortem exam on Daisy's body.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thanks so much for answering so fast. The thing that bothers me is after she starting pooping the blood how fast she went. There was so posion but she always ate her poop we couldn't stop her with anything we did and she ate sticks, paper, so maybe she had something stuck. My male pug is fine. I thank you so much for e-mailing. Sharon


Customer reply:

Out of the reasons you mentioned would any one of them make her pass away in such a short time? One thing I forgot to tell you that about 3 or 4 days before she passed away I did notice that her poop was just a solid pile rather than shaped and was covered was slime or muceous maybe. Does that mean anything to you? I appreciate your fast responde and answers and I will leave you a bonus. Thank you, Sharon


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Really any of the reasons mentioned above could cause a quick death. If I had to choose I would think that hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is the most likely. You can find more information on that here.

With the history of having some stool issues for a couple of days, a clotting problem is less likely. Mesenteric torsion and a foreign object in the intestines are possible as well.

I wish I could be more definitive but unfortunately we'll never know without doing a post mortem exam.



Customer reply:

Thank you for responding so fast again. I know I'll never know for sure, it bothers me so much that I did't get her to a vet immediately. She was my baby. I have a male pug and he is fine. Thanks again I will leave a bonus like I said. Sharon


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks Sharon. It seems like things really did happen quickly. Please don't blame yourself.

Thank you for the bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7753 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (12470 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (18179 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (11963 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5069 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23646 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (9181 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29642 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (14548 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5596 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.