Broken leg in puppy?

Breed: chow n akita
hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw when she does she falls n starts to cry. Is her paw broken or just bruised?

Sorry to hear that your puppy may be having problems.

It really is not possible for me to say whether this is fractured without seeing Shasta. Here are some criteria you can use though to see if you need to have an emergency visit:

-Will she let you feel every single bone and joint? If there is a particular area that is very painful or that you feel cracking in then there may be a fracture.

-Give her 10-15 minutes to see if things improve. I have seen many puppies that will scream like crazy and make you think they have a broken leg but after 10-15 minutes they are totally back to normal.

-Are the puppies gums pink or white? If they are very pale or white then this could be a sign of shock which often occurs with a fracture.

In all cases, I usually recommend that if your gut is telling you that something is wrong then she needs to see the vet. What you have described about her falling down and crying when she tries to put weight on the leg does have me concerned that this could be something serious.

I hope she does ok!

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (15020 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (18500 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6546 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27834 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (40377 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (14068 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (6502 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (12834 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10992 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (41965 views)