Broken leg in puppy?

Breed: chow n akita
hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw when she does she falls n starts to cry. Is her paw broken or just bruised?

Sorry to hear that your puppy may be having problems.

It really is not possible for me to say whether this is fractured without seeing Shasta. Here are some criteria you can use though to see if you need to have an emergency visit:

-Will she let you feel every single bone and joint? If there is a particular area that is very painful or that you feel cracking in then there may be a fracture.

-Give her 10-15 minutes to see if things improve. I have seen many puppies that will scream like crazy and make you think they have a broken leg but after 10-15 minutes they are totally back to normal.

-Are the puppies gums pink or white? If they are very pale or white then this could be a sign of shock which often occurs with a fracture.

In all cases, I usually recommend that if your gut is telling you that something is wrong then she needs to see the vet. What you have described about her falling down and crying when she tries to put weight on the leg does have me concerned that this could be something serious.

I hope she does ok!

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (14913 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (27746 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (6759 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (12681 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (6003 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (10911 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (8858 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (9001 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (6871 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (13254 views)