Broken leg in puppy?

Breed: chow n akita
hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw when she does she falls n starts to cry. Is her paw broken or just bruised?

Sorry to hear that your puppy may be having problems.

It really is not possible for me to say whether this is fractured without seeing Shasta. Here are some criteria you can use though to see if you need to have an emergency visit:

-Will she let you feel every single bone and joint? If there is a particular area that is very painful or that you feel cracking in then there may be a fracture.

-Give her 10-15 minutes to see if things improve. I have seen many puppies that will scream like crazy and make you think they have a broken leg but after 10-15 minutes they are totally back to normal.

-Are the puppies gums pink or white? If they are very pale or white then this could be a sign of shock which often occurs with a fracture.

In all cases, I usually recommend that if your gut is telling you that something is wrong then she needs to see the vet. What you have described about her falling down and crying when she tries to put weight on the leg does have me concerned that this could be something serious.

I hope she does ok!

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (11051 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (10631 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (24109 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (12104 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (8240 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (7629 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (3803 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (5508 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (7259 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (5170 views)