How long is FIP contagious?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year at 9 months, we had to put Charlie down suspecting FIP. My vet said I should probably wait 6 months before bringing in another kitten, but should be alright for an adult cat. I currently have 2 cats, Max & Abby. They aren't fond of each other and Max has always had buddies to keep him company. We lost Jerome & Murphy to CRF in June of last year and thus the addition of Charlie. Since losing Charlie, Max has become very depressed and needy. He sleeps alot which is different from when Charlie was with us and healthy. I've found 2 cats today that I would like to adopt. They are both male and 7 months old. My house has been bleached and washed down since Charlie left us. Is it safe after 2 months to bring in the new boys?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the unfortunate illnesses your kitties have been dealing with. I can't tell you how much I hate FIP. It is a nasty disease.

However, the good news is that I really don't think you need to wait for 6 months before getting new cats.

It is a little confusing to explain how cats get FIP, but hopefully this explanation will put your mind at ease.

FIP is caused by something called a coronavirus. When most cats come in contact with coronavirus they get some mild diarrhea for a day or two but that's it. However, there is a small percentage of cats whose immune systems don't handle coronavirus properly. This number is somewhere between 1 and 5 per cent of all cats. For these cats when they come in contact with coronavirus the immune system has a really hard time and they go on to get FIP. As you know, FIP is much more serious than simple diarrhea.

Now, here's the good news. Coronavirus has a really hard time existing in an environment. It can possibly live for a few days to a couple of weeks in fluid. But after that it dies quite easily.

What I usually advise my clients when they are in your situation is to wait for about 2 weeks before getting new cats. I usually recommend getting new litter boxes and feeding dishes just to be safe (but this probably doesn't even need to happen).

I hope that helps!

Enjoy your new kitties! And I hope Max enjoys having new buddies!

Thanks so much! I appreciate getting the extra advice. I am going to wait to talk to my vet on Monday about it. He's been my pets doctor since I was a kid so I do respect what he has to say. I just want Max to be a happy playful fellow again and I know these two cats I've found today will do the trick. We need some excitement back in our house after the year we've had!!! Thanks again!

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (49680 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (39190 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (22607 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (14472 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (17118 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (9256 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (10908 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (12761 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (11180 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (13887 views)