How long is FIP contagious?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year at 9 months, we had to put Charlie down suspecting FIP. My vet said I should probably wait 6 months before bringing in another kitten, but should be alright for an adult cat. I currently have 2 cats, Max & Abby. They aren't fond of each other and Max has always had buddies to keep him company. We lost Jerome & Murphy to CRF in June of last year and thus the addition of Charlie. Since losing Charlie, Max has become very depressed and needy. He sleeps alot which is different from when Charlie was with us and healthy. I've found 2 cats today that I would like to adopt. They are both male and 7 months old. My house has been bleached and washed down since Charlie left us. Is it safe after 2 months to bring in the new boys?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the unfortunate illnesses your kitties have been dealing with. I can't tell you how much I hate FIP. It is a nasty disease.

However, the good news is that I really don't think you need to wait for 6 months before getting new cats.

It is a little confusing to explain how cats get FIP, but hopefully this explanation will put your mind at ease.

FIP is caused by something called a coronavirus. When most cats come in contact with coronavirus they get some mild diarrhea for a day or two but that's it. However, there is a small percentage of cats whose immune systems don't handle coronavirus properly. This number is somewhere between 1 and 5 per cent of all cats. For these cats when they come in contact with coronavirus the immune system has a really hard time and they go on to get FIP. As you know, FIP is much more serious than simple diarrhea.

Now, here's the good news. Coronavirus has a really hard time existing in an environment. It can possibly live for a few days to a couple of weeks in fluid. But after that it dies quite easily.

What I usually advise my clients when they are in your situation is to wait for about 2 weeks before getting new cats. I usually recommend getting new litter boxes and feeding dishes just to be safe (but this probably doesn't even need to happen).

I hope that helps!

Enjoy your new kitties! And I hope Max enjoys having new buddies!

Thanks so much! I appreciate getting the extra advice. I am going to wait to talk to my vet on Monday about it. He's been my pets doctor since I was a kid so I do respect what he has to say. I just want Max to be a happy playful fellow again and I know these two cats I've found today will do the trick. We need some excitement back in our house after the year we've had!!! Thanks again!

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (18211 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (25411 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13724 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (69067 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (10047 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8264 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13441 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (15304 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11492 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7562 views)