How long is FIP contagious?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year at 9 months, we had to put Charlie down suspecting FIP. My vet said I should probably wait 6 months before bringing in another kitten, but should be alright for an adult cat. I currently have 2 cats, Max & Abby. They aren't fond of each other and Max has always had buddies to keep him company. We lost Jerome & Murphy to CRF in June of last year and thus the addition of Charlie. Since losing Charlie, Max has become very depressed and needy. He sleeps alot which is different from when Charlie was with us and healthy. I've found 2 cats today that I would like to adopt. They are both male and 7 months old. My house has been bleached and washed down since Charlie left us. Is it safe after 2 months to bring in the new boys?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the unfortunate illnesses your kitties have been dealing with. I can't tell you how much I hate FIP. It is a nasty disease.

However, the good news is that I really don't think you need to wait for 6 months before getting new cats.

It is a little confusing to explain how cats get FIP, but hopefully this explanation will put your mind at ease.

FIP is caused by something called a coronavirus. When most cats come in contact with coronavirus they get some mild diarrhea for a day or two but that's it. However, there is a small percentage of cats whose immune systems don't handle coronavirus properly. This number is somewhere between 1 and 5 per cent of all cats. For these cats when they come in contact with coronavirus the immune system has a really hard time and they go on to get FIP. As you know, FIP is much more serious than simple diarrhea.

Now, here's the good news. Coronavirus has a really hard time existing in an environment. It can possibly live for a few days to a couple of weeks in fluid. But after that it dies quite easily.

What I usually advise my clients when they are in your situation is to wait for about 2 weeks before getting new cats. I usually recommend getting new litter boxes and feeding dishes just to be safe (but this probably doesn't even need to happen).

I hope that helps!

Enjoy your new kitties! And I hope Max enjoys having new buddies!

Thanks so much! I appreciate getting the extra advice. I am going to wait to talk to my vet on Monday about it. He's been my pets doctor since I was a kid so I do respect what he has to say. I just want Max to be a happy playful fellow again and I know these two cats I've found today will do the trick. We need some excitement back in our house after the year we've had!!! Thanks again!

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (32649 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4654 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (7817 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8218 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6039 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7339 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (45552 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4738 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (12038 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (15501 views)