How long is FIP contagious?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year at 9 months, we had to put Charlie down suspecting FIP. My vet said I should probably wait 6 months before bringing in another kitten, but should be alright for an adult cat. I currently have 2 cats, Max & Abby. They aren't fond of each other and Max has always had buddies to keep him company. We lost Jerome & Murphy to CRF in June of last year and thus the addition of Charlie. Since losing Charlie, Max has become very depressed and needy. He sleeps alot which is different from when Charlie was with us and healthy. I've found 2 cats today that I would like to adopt. They are both male and 7 months old. My house has been bleached and washed down since Charlie left us. Is it safe after 2 months to bring in the new boys?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the unfortunate illnesses your kitties have been dealing with. I can't tell you how much I hate FIP. It is a nasty disease.

However, the good news is that I really don't think you need to wait for 6 months before getting new cats.

It is a little confusing to explain how cats get FIP, but hopefully this explanation will put your mind at ease.

FIP is caused by something called a coronavirus. When most cats come in contact with coronavirus they get some mild diarrhea for a day or two but that's it. However, there is a small percentage of cats whose immune systems don't handle coronavirus properly. This number is somewhere between 1 and 5 per cent of all cats. For these cats when they come in contact with coronavirus the immune system has a really hard time and they go on to get FIP. As you know, FIP is much more serious than simple diarrhea.

Now, here's the good news. Coronavirus has a really hard time existing in an environment. It can possibly live for a few days to a couple of weeks in fluid. But after that it dies quite easily.

What I usually advise my clients when they are in your situation is to wait for about 2 weeks before getting new cats. I usually recommend getting new litter boxes and feeding dishes just to be safe (but this probably doesn't even need to happen).

I hope that helps!

Enjoy your new kitties! And I hope Max enjoys having new buddies!

Thanks so much! I appreciate getting the extra advice. I am going to wait to talk to my vet on Monday about it. He's been my pets doctor since I was a kid so I do respect what he has to say. I just want Max to be a happy playful fellow again and I know these two cats I've found today will do the trick. We need some excitement back in our house after the year we've had!!! Thanks again!

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (31745 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8917 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (11520 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (88265 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10557 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15706 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (23126 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4981 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7559 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8510 views)