Diabetic cat with seizures.

Breed: mixed maine coon
I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home, he's been in the hospital twice for hypoglycemia (blood sugar 24 and 45 respectively). The second onset caused a series of seizures minutes apart. have dropped his insulin injections to 1 unit 2x/day. Today I have witnessed two seizures, hours apart. Are diabetic related seizures always just minutes apart, or can they be hours apart, like today? Vet told me yesterday that if he seizes again, it's not due to the insulin injections due to the small amount he's receiving. Maybe and insulinoma or something. Just trying to determine if today's seizures are diabetic related or random seizures. Vet suggested putting him down if he becomes hypoglycemic again (very $$$ to keep taking him to the animal hospital). Thanks.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that you and Jasper are going through this.

There are many possible reasons for seizures. When an animal has a diabetic seizure it is because the glucose level has dropped too low. When we give insulin what happens is it lowers the blood sugar. If we lower it too much then an animal can seizure.

The seizures really can be at any time. We can't determine too much by the fact that they were hours apart.

It is very unusual for one unit of insulin to drop the blood sugar to the level to cause seizures. Has your vet mentioned a possibility that Jasper is not diabetic any more? Occasionally we can see a cat that recovers from diabetes and doesn't need insulin any more. You may want to ask your vet about this.

The next possibility for the seizures is an insulinoma. This is a tumor on the pancreas that secretes insulin. It can secrete it at random times which can cause the blood sugar to drop dramatically at any time resulting in seizures.

It's also possible that something else is going on to cause the seizures such as a brain tumor but this can be difficult to diagnose.

While I can't advise you on what to do with your cat's insulin you may want to ask your vet about trying Jasper without any insulin for a while to see how things go. You could also consider an ultrasound to look for a tumor on the pancreas. Sometimes they are obvious, but not always.

I hope everything is ok.

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (19590 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13030 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18576 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (14793 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7099 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (21030 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (15217 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (9686 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6051 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (11618 views)