Diabetic cat with seizures.

Breed: mixed maine coon
I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home, he's been in the hospital twice for hypoglycemia (blood sugar 24 and 45 respectively). The second onset caused a series of seizures minutes apart. have dropped his insulin injections to 1 unit 2x/day. Today I have witnessed two seizures, hours apart. Are diabetic related seizures always just minutes apart, or can they be hours apart, like today? Vet told me yesterday that if he seizes again, it's not due to the insulin injections due to the small amount he's receiving. Maybe and insulinoma or something. Just trying to determine if today's seizures are diabetic related or random seizures. Vet suggested putting him down if he becomes hypoglycemic again (very $$$ to keep taking him to the animal hospital). Thanks.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that you and Jasper are going through this.

There are many possible reasons for seizures. When an animal has a diabetic seizure it is because the glucose level has dropped too low. When we give insulin what happens is it lowers the blood sugar. If we lower it too much then an animal can seizure.

The seizures really can be at any time. We can't determine too much by the fact that they were hours apart.

It is very unusual for one unit of insulin to drop the blood sugar to the level to cause seizures. Has your vet mentioned a possibility that Jasper is not diabetic any more? Occasionally we can see a cat that recovers from diabetes and doesn't need insulin any more. You may want to ask your vet about this.

The next possibility for the seizures is an insulinoma. This is a tumor on the pancreas that secretes insulin. It can secrete it at random times which can cause the blood sugar to drop dramatically at any time resulting in seizures.

It's also possible that something else is going on to cause the seizures such as a brain tumor but this can be difficult to diagnose.

While I can't advise you on what to do with your cat's insulin you may want to ask your vet about trying Jasper without any insulin for a while to see how things go. You could also consider an ultrasound to look for a tumor on the pancreas. Sometimes they are obvious, but not always.

I hope everything is ok.

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8549 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29322 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13419 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24466 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5828 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (7687 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22016 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18198 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8090 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19634 views)