Should older dog be spayed?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi,

I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than the recently acquired inguinal hernia. I've booked an surgical appointment for hernia repair early next week. The vet also suggested to have her spayed at the same time, however I am a bit concerned. I have been told 2 years ago by my previous vet, who now is retired, that the risks involved in having her spayed outweighs the benefit.

I was wondering whether i should carry out with the surgery.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would definitely agree with your current vet that you should have your girl spayed. In my mind the benefits by far outweigh the risks. If she is not spayed she is at risk for all sorts of conditions such as an infection in the uterus (pyometra), mammary cancer (breast cancer), uterine or ovarian cancer, and pregnancy related problems.

The concern with an older dog going under anesthetic is that if there is a health problem such as a kidney or liver condition then the anesthetic could make that worse. Your vet will likely be doing bloodwork before the anesthesia. If the bloodwork is normal then I would have no hesitation in going ahead.

If this were my case I would likely do the hernia repair first and then if all was going well with the anesthesia (i.e. blood pressure is stable and heart rate is good) then I would go ahead with the spay.

I hope she does well!

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8313 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (6225 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (53628 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13471 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7748 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (13391 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (56386 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5635 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (19504 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16777 views)