Should older dog be spayed?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi,

I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than the recently acquired inguinal hernia. I've booked an surgical appointment for hernia repair early next week. The vet also suggested to have her spayed at the same time, however I am a bit concerned. I have been told 2 years ago by my previous vet, who now is retired, that the risks involved in having her spayed outweighs the benefit.

I was wondering whether i should carry out with the surgery.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would definitely agree with your current vet that you should have your girl spayed. In my mind the benefits by far outweigh the risks. If she is not spayed she is at risk for all sorts of conditions such as an infection in the uterus (pyometra), mammary cancer (breast cancer), uterine or ovarian cancer, and pregnancy related problems.

The concern with an older dog going under anesthetic is that if there is a health problem such as a kidney or liver condition then the anesthetic could make that worse. Your vet will likely be doing bloodwork before the anesthesia. If the bloodwork is normal then I would have no hesitation in going ahead.

If this were my case I would likely do the hernia repair first and then if all was going well with the anesthesia (i.e. blood pressure is stable and heart rate is good) then I would go ahead with the spay.

I hope she does well!

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (7085 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11692 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (65895 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26680 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (14927 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (85822 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (7539 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12219 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10372 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4357 views)