Should older dog be spayed?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi,

I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than the recently acquired inguinal hernia. I've booked an surgical appointment for hernia repair early next week. The vet also suggested to have her spayed at the same time, however I am a bit concerned. I have been told 2 years ago by my previous vet, who now is retired, that the risks involved in having her spayed outweighs the benefit.

I was wondering whether i should carry out with the surgery.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would definitely agree with your current vet that you should have your girl spayed. In my mind the benefits by far outweigh the risks. If she is not spayed she is at risk for all sorts of conditions such as an infection in the uterus (pyometra), mammary cancer (breast cancer), uterine or ovarian cancer, and pregnancy related problems.

The concern with an older dog going under anesthetic is that if there is a health problem such as a kidney or liver condition then the anesthetic could make that worse. Your vet will likely be doing bloodwork before the anesthesia. If the bloodwork is normal then I would have no hesitation in going ahead.

If this were my case I would likely do the hernia repair first and then if all was going well with the anesthesia (i.e. blood pressure is stable and heart rate is good) then I would go ahead with the spay.

I hope she does well!

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (6245 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (15111 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7861 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21110 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (11419 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (12718 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11234 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (11437 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10828 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (11718 views)