Should older dog be spayed?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi,

I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than the recently acquired inguinal hernia. I've booked an surgical appointment for hernia repair early next week. The vet also suggested to have her spayed at the same time, however I am a bit concerned. I have been told 2 years ago by my previous vet, who now is retired, that the risks involved in having her spayed outweighs the benefit.

I was wondering whether i should carry out with the surgery.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would definitely agree with your current vet that you should have your girl spayed. In my mind the benefits by far outweigh the risks. If she is not spayed she is at risk for all sorts of conditions such as an infection in the uterus (pyometra), mammary cancer (breast cancer), uterine or ovarian cancer, and pregnancy related problems.

The concern with an older dog going under anesthetic is that if there is a health problem such as a kidney or liver condition then the anesthetic could make that worse. Your vet will likely be doing bloodwork before the anesthesia. If the bloodwork is normal then I would have no hesitation in going ahead.

If this were my case I would likely do the hernia repair first and then if all was going well with the anesthesia (i.e. blood pressure is stable and heart rate is good) then I would go ahead with the spay.

I hope she does well!

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7008 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9551 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (44311 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (16733 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (6392 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (13113 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (7855 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6580 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (6438 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (7810 views)