Should older dog be spayed?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi,

I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than the recently acquired inguinal hernia. I've booked an surgical appointment for hernia repair early next week. The vet also suggested to have her spayed at the same time, however I am a bit concerned. I have been told 2 years ago by my previous vet, who now is retired, that the risks involved in having her spayed outweighs the benefit.

I was wondering whether i should carry out with the surgery.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I would definitely agree with your current vet that you should have your girl spayed. In my mind the benefits by far outweigh the risks. If she is not spayed she is at risk for all sorts of conditions such as an infection in the uterus (pyometra), mammary cancer (breast cancer), uterine or ovarian cancer, and pregnancy related problems.

The concern with an older dog going under anesthetic is that if there is a health problem such as a kidney or liver condition then the anesthetic could make that worse. Your vet will likely be doing bloodwork before the anesthesia. If the bloodwork is normal then I would have no hesitation in going ahead.

If this were my case I would likely do the hernia repair first and then if all was going well with the anesthesia (i.e. blood pressure is stable and heart rate is good) then I would go ahead with the spay.

I hope she does well!

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (8079 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (15618 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (25396 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (10473 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (11506 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (42183 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (5827 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (7471 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (60723 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (11283 views)