Popcorn in dog's stool?

Breed: Dachsund
My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his stool. It was yellow, and well, just about the right size and shape for popcorn. Except he hasn't eaten any popcorn.

I searched online and ended up coming across some pictures of urates in reptile stools that looked similar... but he's a dog.

He ate breakfast, is taking a nap, and seems okay. Any idea what it is? Is he okay?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Well this is an interesting question! Is there any chance you have a photo of the object? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I really can't think of anything that would be in a dog's stool that would look like a popped piece of popcorn. We really don't see urates in dog stool like you would in reptiles.

You can sometimes see tapeworm segments in a dog's stool but they would look similar to a grain of rice, not popcorn.

I'm wondering if he happened to pick up and eat something out in the yard or on a walk?

Again, I really can't think of anything that would look like this that would be a cause for concern. If you do have a picture, as gross as that would be, I would love to see it! :)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (15871 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7479 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (26656 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9780 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15381 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (85563 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15495 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4825 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6584 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15963 views)