Popcorn in dog's stool?

Breed: Dachsund
My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his stool. It was yellow, and well, just about the right size and shape for popcorn. Except he hasn't eaten any popcorn.

I searched online and ended up coming across some pictures of urates in reptile stools that looked similar... but he's a dog.

He ate breakfast, is taking a nap, and seems okay. Any idea what it is? Is he okay?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Well this is an interesting question! Is there any chance you have a photo of the object? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I really can't think of anything that would be in a dog's stool that would look like a popped piece of popcorn. We really don't see urates in dog stool like you would in reptiles.

You can sometimes see tapeworm segments in a dog's stool but they would look similar to a grain of rice, not popcorn.

I'm wondering if he happened to pick up and eat something out in the yard or on a walk?

Again, I really can't think of anything that would look like this that would be a cause for concern. If you do have a picture, as gross as that would be, I would love to see it! :)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14127 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13952 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8178 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8216 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9339 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (42586 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21019 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8438 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6954 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (29718 views)