Bloated and leaking urine.

Breed: German Shepard
This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night I notice that she was bloated. I believe she can feel herself going because she will lick herself while going. She becomes winded when getting up or getting around because of being bloated. She is still eating and drinking not as much but she has always been the type to stop when she is full enough. What could be causing this? I know she is 12 and I know that day could be coming but I don't want to put her down if this problem can be fixed easily enough. Thank You for your time!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Crystal is not feeling well.

Is she spayed? My first thought when I read what you wrote is that she might have an infection in her uterus. This is called a pyometra. This can cause her belly to be swollen and can cause her to urinate more than usual. Pyometra is very serious. It can be treated but most dogs need emergency surgery in order to be cured.

Unfortunately most of the things that can cause a bloated abdomen in a 12 year old dog are very serious. Here are some other possible causes:

A tumor in the abdomen can cause swelling and could put pressure on her bladder. The tumor could be on her spleen, liver or elsewhere. This, of course, would be bad news.

It is also possible that a small tumor is causing fluid to be produced which is causing the swelling. Or a spleen tumor could be bleeding which could cause the bloating.

Heart disease can cause fluid in the abdomen. The symptoms don't really fit though.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything "non-serious" that could cause Crystal's symptoms. I would highly advise you to have your vet take a look at her. It's possible that there is something they can do to help her. But I do think we need to prepare ourselves that it may be time for euthanasia soon.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

She is Spayed. We had her spayed in after her first litter of 9 puppies that all lived. I know I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good thing. I have the thought of if I take her into the vet are they going to tell me to put her down and than I have double the fees because I want to have her cremated. Thank you for the response and I think it is an awesome thing of what your doing!

I urge you not to wait too long. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. I really hope things go ok.

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22602 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24911 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9360 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (7649 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (149190 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7692 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (10176 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (32773 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11843 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5441 views)