Bloated and leaking urine.

Breed: German Shepard
This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night I notice that she was bloated. I believe she can feel herself going because she will lick herself while going. She becomes winded when getting up or getting around because of being bloated. She is still eating and drinking not as much but she has always been the type to stop when she is full enough. What could be causing this? I know she is 12 and I know that day could be coming but I don't want to put her down if this problem can be fixed easily enough. Thank You for your time!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Crystal is not feeling well.

Is she spayed? My first thought when I read what you wrote is that she might have an infection in her uterus. This is called a pyometra. This can cause her belly to be swollen and can cause her to urinate more than usual. Pyometra is very serious. It can be treated but most dogs need emergency surgery in order to be cured.

Unfortunately most of the things that can cause a bloated abdomen in a 12 year old dog are very serious. Here are some other possible causes:

A tumor in the abdomen can cause swelling and could put pressure on her bladder. The tumor could be on her spleen, liver or elsewhere. This, of course, would be bad news.

It is also possible that a small tumor is causing fluid to be produced which is causing the swelling. Or a spleen tumor could be bleeding which could cause the bloating.

Heart disease can cause fluid in the abdomen. The symptoms don't really fit though.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything "non-serious" that could cause Crystal's symptoms. I would highly advise you to have your vet take a look at her. It's possible that there is something they can do to help her. But I do think we need to prepare ourselves that it may be time for euthanasia soon.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

She is Spayed. We had her spayed in after her first litter of 9 puppies that all lived. I know I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good thing. I have the thought of if I take her into the vet are they going to tell me to put her down and than I have double the fees because I want to have her cremated. Thank you for the response and I think it is an awesome thing of what your doing!

I urge you not to wait too long. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. I really hope things go ok.

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9522 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (64973 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8835 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8282 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6518 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8593 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (81637 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (76799 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7251 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (24647 views)