Bloated and leaking urine.

Breed: German Shepard
This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night I notice that she was bloated. I believe she can feel herself going because she will lick herself while going. She becomes winded when getting up or getting around because of being bloated. She is still eating and drinking not as much but she has always been the type to stop when she is full enough. What could be causing this? I know she is 12 and I know that day could be coming but I don't want to put her down if this problem can be fixed easily enough. Thank You for your time!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Crystal is not feeling well.

Is she spayed? My first thought when I read what you wrote is that she might have an infection in her uterus. This is called a pyometra. This can cause her belly to be swollen and can cause her to urinate more than usual. Pyometra is very serious. It can be treated but most dogs need emergency surgery in order to be cured.

Unfortunately most of the things that can cause a bloated abdomen in a 12 year old dog are very serious. Here are some other possible causes:

A tumor in the abdomen can cause swelling and could put pressure on her bladder. The tumor could be on her spleen, liver or elsewhere. This, of course, would be bad news.

It is also possible that a small tumor is causing fluid to be produced which is causing the swelling. Or a spleen tumor could be bleeding which could cause the bloating.

Heart disease can cause fluid in the abdomen. The symptoms don't really fit though.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything "non-serious" that could cause Crystal's symptoms. I would highly advise you to have your vet take a look at her. It's possible that there is something they can do to help her. But I do think we need to prepare ourselves that it may be time for euthanasia soon.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

She is Spayed. We had her spayed in after her first litter of 9 puppies that all lived. I know I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good thing. I have the thought of if I take her into the vet are they going to tell me to put her down and than I have double the fees because I want to have her cremated. Thank you for the response and I think it is an awesome thing of what your doing!

I urge you not to wait too long. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. I really hope things go ok.

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (16829 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (23910 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (4904 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7904 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (17895 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (25824 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4078 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (7818 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11252 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11474 views)