Bloated and leaking urine.

Breed: German Shepard
This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night I notice that she was bloated. I believe she can feel herself going because she will lick herself while going. She becomes winded when getting up or getting around because of being bloated. She is still eating and drinking not as much but she has always been the type to stop when she is full enough. What could be causing this? I know she is 12 and I know that day could be coming but I don't want to put her down if this problem can be fixed easily enough. Thank You for your time!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Crystal is not feeling well.

Is she spayed? My first thought when I read what you wrote is that she might have an infection in her uterus. This is called a pyometra. This can cause her belly to be swollen and can cause her to urinate more than usual. Pyometra is very serious. It can be treated but most dogs need emergency surgery in order to be cured.

Unfortunately most of the things that can cause a bloated abdomen in a 12 year old dog are very serious. Here are some other possible causes:

A tumor in the abdomen can cause swelling and could put pressure on her bladder. The tumor could be on her spleen, liver or elsewhere. This, of course, would be bad news.

It is also possible that a small tumor is causing fluid to be produced which is causing the swelling. Or a spleen tumor could be bleeding which could cause the bloating.

Heart disease can cause fluid in the abdomen. The symptoms don't really fit though.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything "non-serious" that could cause Crystal's symptoms. I would highly advise you to have your vet take a look at her. It's possible that there is something they can do to help her. But I do think we need to prepare ourselves that it may be time for euthanasia soon.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

She is Spayed. We had her spayed in after her first litter of 9 puppies that all lived. I know I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good thing. I have the thought of if I take her into the vet are they going to tell me to put her down and than I have double the fees because I want to have her cremated. Thank you for the response and I think it is an awesome thing of what your doing!

I urge you not to wait too long. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. I really hope things go ok.

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5317 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (25516 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (36063 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (7061 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (9196 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (8468 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9482 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19566 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11313 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (21436 views)