Bloated and leaking urine.

Breed: German Shepard
This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night I notice that she was bloated. I believe she can feel herself going because she will lick herself while going. She becomes winded when getting up or getting around because of being bloated. She is still eating and drinking not as much but she has always been the type to stop when she is full enough. What could be causing this? I know she is 12 and I know that day could be coming but I don't want to put her down if this problem can be fixed easily enough. Thank You for your time!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Crystal is not feeling well.

Is she spayed? My first thought when I read what you wrote is that she might have an infection in her uterus. This is called a pyometra. This can cause her belly to be swollen and can cause her to urinate more than usual. Pyometra is very serious. It can be treated but most dogs need emergency surgery in order to be cured.

Unfortunately most of the things that can cause a bloated abdomen in a 12 year old dog are very serious. Here are some other possible causes:

A tumor in the abdomen can cause swelling and could put pressure on her bladder. The tumor could be on her spleen, liver or elsewhere. This, of course, would be bad news.

It is also possible that a small tumor is causing fluid to be produced which is causing the swelling. Or a spleen tumor could be bleeding which could cause the bloating.

Heart disease can cause fluid in the abdomen. The symptoms don't really fit though.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything "non-serious" that could cause Crystal's symptoms. I would highly advise you to have your vet take a look at her. It's possible that there is something they can do to help her. But I do think we need to prepare ourselves that it may be time for euthanasia soon.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

She is Spayed. We had her spayed in after her first litter of 9 puppies that all lived. I know I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good thing. I have the thought of if I take her into the vet are they going to tell me to put her down and than I have double the fees because I want to have her cremated. Thank you for the response and I think it is an awesome thing of what your doing!

I urge you not to wait too long. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. I really hope things go ok.

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (42953 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (11292 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (6454 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (12846 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (9598 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (44592 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (11857 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (17014 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (9400 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7570 views)