Cat with sore penis.

Breed: mixed
I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him to the vet. and they said his urinary tract was plugged. They cathetered him, and drained his bladder. It was Very bloody (like wine) but there were no plugs or crystals in the urine at all, which makes me think it was a blood clot from a bladder infection. He was in the vet. hospital for a week, had 3 different catheters (taken out and put back in), and had to go back a after being home for a week for another shot of antibiotic because he was still peeing blood, was on a pill to make him pee more. I finally started giving him small amounts of cranberry extract and his pee cleared up. Now, he used to pee and spray a good stream before he got sick, now he strains alot to pee and it just drips out, and he constantly licks his penis. He can drain his bladder, and is not in pain, but he's trying all day long. He never used to do this at all. This has going on since he got home 3 months ago. My Question is: Could giving him 3 catheters create scar tissue that now is blocking his ability to pee? Can this be fixed? Thank you

Oh, poor Sparky. Urinary tract issues with cats can be so frustrating. I have had cases like this that did not do well.

It really concerns me that he is still straining to urinate. This is very uncomfortable to a cat and definitely needs to be addressed.

Yes, it is possible that there was some scar tissue created from his previous incident. It's also possible that there is a new blockage present such as more crystals or even just some "sludge" made up of debris. An infection is possible as well. Or, it's possible he has a condition called interstitial cystitis where the bladder often feels like it is irritated.

There are some cats that can develop neurological problems with their urinary tract as well which can make it very uncomfortable for them.

Unfortunately he will need to have some more tests done to determine what is going on. If this was my case I would start off by repeating a urinalysis. It's possible that he has a chronic UTI and if this is the case then a course of antibiotics could do wonders.

If he has some damage to the urinary tract then he may need to have a surgery called a perineal urethrostomy. This is a surgery that opens up the urethra inside of the penis and makes the opening to look more like a female opening. It would likely work very well for Sparky. But, it can be a fairly pricey surgery.

I wanted to comment as well on the cranberry extract. I don't usually recommend that. The reason why people use cranberry extract when they have a bladder infection is that it stops E Coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall and can help clear an infection quicker. However, with cats, a straight E Coli bladder infection is not very common at all and as such the extract is not likely to work. (I'm guessing that in Sparky's case, it was time that healed him and not the cranberry.) You can potentially do more harm than good with cranberry as it can lower the urinary pH and predispose a cat to getting something called calcium oxalate crystals.

I wish I had advice for you that didn't require more veterinary expense, but I really do think that he is going to have to have some more tests done. Please don't wait too long. I had a similar case where the owner put off seeing me and the cat licked his penis so much that he did severe damage to it.

I really hope Sparky is ok!

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (9212 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20329 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11583 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8560 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10065 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (29598 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (14538 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6205 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8410 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13242 views)