Cat with sore penis.

Breed: mixed
I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him to the vet. and they said his urinary tract was plugged. They cathetered him, and drained his bladder. It was Very bloody (like wine) but there were no plugs or crystals in the urine at all, which makes me think it was a blood clot from a bladder infection. He was in the vet. hospital for a week, had 3 different catheters (taken out and put back in), and had to go back a after being home for a week for another shot of antibiotic because he was still peeing blood, was on a pill to make him pee more. I finally started giving him small amounts of cranberry extract and his pee cleared up. Now, he used to pee and spray a good stream before he got sick, now he strains alot to pee and it just drips out, and he constantly licks his penis. He can drain his bladder, and is not in pain, but he's trying all day long. He never used to do this at all. This has going on since he got home 3 months ago. My Question is: Could giving him 3 catheters create scar tissue that now is blocking his ability to pee? Can this be fixed? Thank you

Oh, poor Sparky. Urinary tract issues with cats can be so frustrating. I have had cases like this that did not do well.

It really concerns me that he is still straining to urinate. This is very uncomfortable to a cat and definitely needs to be addressed.

Yes, it is possible that there was some scar tissue created from his previous incident. It's also possible that there is a new blockage present such as more crystals or even just some "sludge" made up of debris. An infection is possible as well. Or, it's possible he has a condition called interstitial cystitis where the bladder often feels like it is irritated.

There are some cats that can develop neurological problems with their urinary tract as well which can make it very uncomfortable for them.

Unfortunately he will need to have some more tests done to determine what is going on. If this was my case I would start off by repeating a urinalysis. It's possible that he has a chronic UTI and if this is the case then a course of antibiotics could do wonders.

If he has some damage to the urinary tract then he may need to have a surgery called a perineal urethrostomy. This is a surgery that opens up the urethra inside of the penis and makes the opening to look more like a female opening. It would likely work very well for Sparky. But, it can be a fairly pricey surgery.

I wanted to comment as well on the cranberry extract. I don't usually recommend that. The reason why people use cranberry extract when they have a bladder infection is that it stops E Coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall and can help clear an infection quicker. However, with cats, a straight E Coli bladder infection is not very common at all and as such the extract is not likely to work. (I'm guessing that in Sparky's case, it was time that healed him and not the cranberry.) You can potentially do more harm than good with cranberry as it can lower the urinary pH and predispose a cat to getting something called calcium oxalate crystals.

I wish I had advice for you that didn't require more veterinary expense, but I really do think that he is going to have to have some more tests done. Please don't wait too long. I had a similar case where the owner put off seeing me and the cat licked his penis so much that he did severe damage to it.

I really hope Sparky is ok!

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6185 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (10107 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15259 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (22944 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28845 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7778 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7352 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (11031 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (19303 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13354 views)