Brittle nails in a dog.

Breed: Standard Poodle
My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is this a sign of and what can I do to strengthen his nails?
Thank you,
Stephen

Sorry to hear that your dog is having a problem with brittle nails. This is not a common problem, but it can be a sign of a medical problem.

One problem could be something called lupoid onychodystrophy. You can see some images of lupoid oncychodystrophy here.

This is an immune mediated condition. It usually can be helped with medication but is a life long condition and can be quite serious.

There are other possibilities as well. Is it all 4 nails? Or just the front or back nails? If it is only happening on just the front feet, or just the back feet? If so, then I would be wondering if there is a neurological condition such as a back injury or other nerve injury. This can cause a dog to scuff the top of their nails as they walk.

There are some drug reactions that can cause a condition called vasculitis that can cause the nails to be brittle. These are rare though.

In theory, a bacterial or fungal infection could do this, but I can only think of one case in 15 years where I saw this.

There are some dogs that can have brittle nails because of a zinc deficiency. If this is the case then a zinc supplement could possibly help. But, you have to be careful with this because zinc can cause intestinal upset in dogs.

I would highly recommend having your vet examine your dog's nails. I don't think that this is a simple thing that can be treated at home. If your vet suspects an infection then they will likely start him on medication (either an antibiotic or antifungal). But, they may need to do other tests. They may start by culturing the area to look for bacteria or yeast. Or, they may have to do a biopsy which is the way to diagnose an immune mediated problem.

If you do get a diagnosis, please come back and update us with what the vet found.

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20901 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (12888 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14344 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (28045 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (71003 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6961 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10679 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9882 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10445 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7400 views)