Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (10436 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16587 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11125 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11455 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11458 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16111 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7797 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (14944 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9472 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (14841 views)