Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (24002 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (33045 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (15956 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (14286 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (10965 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (14490 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (27624 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (23255 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (12892 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (7541 views)