Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (13810 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7019 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20488 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (72170 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (5949 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11207 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13153 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (5905 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (14479 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5728 views)