Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (5863 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10052 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (19862 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (16284 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (6529 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (5607 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (52276 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (32386 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7866 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (38581 views)