Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6978 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14946 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (17165 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (10439 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (25561 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (28167 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (14346 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (13920 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (12702 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (9316 views)