Introducing kittens.

Breed: Mongrel
hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the house, only today. There is a lot of hissing from the new arrival, a lot of biting on the neck from the 5 month old and a lot of scratching. They are both males, what can i do to get them to get used to each other

Congrats on your new kitten!

Most of the time cats do learn how to get along with each other.

The biting on the neck is the older kitten trying to tell the younger one that he is "the boss". It is a sign of him being dominant. Most of the time this behavior gets better with time.

Be sure to have both cats neutered. Biting on the neck can be a part of mating behavior as well. But, at 5 months this little guy shouldn't have any testosterone yet.

The best thing you can do is to keep the kittens separated for a few days, but give them some supervised time together throughout the day. When you start noticing that they are accepting each other then you can leave them alone with each other.

Another thing that may help is to leave the new kitten in a cage in the middle of the room for a while and let the older one sniff him out.

Eventually though, cats almost always learn how to get along.

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8973 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (23265 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10005 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16360 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14159 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57720 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9553 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5485 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17864 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (11256 views)