Cut on ear.

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just greeting each other and the collie bit Jack's ear all of a sudden! I pulled open his jaw and Jack ran free. The owner said her Collie has never done that before and she was very apologetic. Both dogs have all of their shots, so I'm not worried about rabies.

The gash is in Jack's ear, the outside cartilage. Because it's only a small gash in this part of his body and because he seems totally fine, like his regular happy self, I didn't bring him to a vet. I let a couple of days go by and then bathed him this morning and I could see that the gash is about 3/4 inch long and doesn't look like it's healing (yet).

I have pictures that I will email to you. I am wondering if you think he needs stitches or if this is something that will heal on it's own. Should I cover it or let the air get to it. My only concern is infection. Aside from that, I would just leave it be because it's not bothering my dog and it stopped bleeding right after the attack occurred.

I would rather not take him to the vet if I don't need to, but of course I want to do what's best for him so that's why I'm asking your advice. I read online that if the gash is less than 1 inch, it can heal on it's own, but I don't know?

Thanks for your help,
Heather

Hmmm...this looks like a wound that may have difficulty healing. I've attached one of your photos here:

cut on dog's ear

If this was a fresh wound that had just happened in the last few hours then I would want to be stitching it right away. However, now that it's older than that, it may not be able to be stitched.

If this wound was made by a dog bite then Jack really should be on some antibiotics. If it gets infected it's going to be a really really difficult wound to heal. In order to get antibiotics, you'll need to see the vet. The vet will assess it and determine whether it needs surgery.

Now, my gut instinct is that the vet will say to let it heal by itself. It is not likely to come together and look normal again, but as long as we can keep it from getting infected, it should heal. Jack will likely always have a notch in his ear but it shouldn't cause him lasting problems.

I have seen a few wounds like this that were really problematic because they kept bleeding. Ear wounds often bleed a LOT. But, if it's not bleeding now, then you're probably ok in that respect.

If it is a holiday where you are today, you are probably ok to wait until tomorrow to take him to see the vet, but I would definitely recommend that you have a vet take a look.

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (12921 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7768 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (15514 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (17115 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (34484 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (9852 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (9753 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (18410 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (8555 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (12369 views)