Cut on ear.

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd

My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just greeting each other and the collie bit Jack's ear all of a sudden! I pulled open his jaw and Jack ran free. The owner said her Collie has never done that before and she was very apologetic. Both dogs have all of their shots, so I'm not worried about rabies.

The gash is in Jack's ear, the outside cartilage. Because it's only a small gash in this part of his body and because he seems totally fine, like his regular happy self, I didn't bring him to a vet. I let a couple of days go by and then bathed him this morning and I could see that the gash is about 3/4 inch long and doesn't look like it's healing (yet).

I have pictures that I will email to you. I am wondering if you think he needs stitches or if this is something that will heal on it's own. Should I cover it or let the air get to it. My only concern is infection. Aside from that, I would just leave it be because it's not bothering my dog and it stopped bleeding right after the attack occurred.

I would rather not take him to the vet if I don't need to, but of course I want to do what's best for him so that's why I'm asking your advice. I read online that if the gash is less than 1 inch, it can heal on it's own, but I don't know?

Thanks for your help,
Heather

Hmmm...this looks like a wound that may have difficulty healing. I've attached one of your photos here:

cut on dog's ear

If this was a fresh wound that had just happened in the last few hours then I would want to be stitching it right away. However, now that it's older than that, it may not be able to be stitched.

If this wound was made by a dog bite then Jack really should be on some antibiotics. If it gets infected it's going to be a really really difficult wound to heal. In order to get antibiotics, you'll need to see the vet. The vet will assess it and determine whether it needs surgery.

Now, my gut instinct is that the vet will say to let it heal by itself. It is not likely to come together and look normal again, but as long as we can keep it from getting infected, it should heal. Jack will likely always have a notch in his ear but it shouldn't cause him lasting problems.

I have seen a few wounds like this that were really problematic because they kept bleeding. Ear wounds often bleed a LOT. But, if it's not bleeding now, then you're probably ok in that respect.

If it is a holiday where you are today, you are probably ok to wait until tomorrow to take him to see the vet, but I would definitely recommend that you have a vet take a look.

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (12716 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (44939 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (9462 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (6872 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (16493 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7990 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7996 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (17603 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (17047 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (27987 views)