Dog ate Advil.

Breed: Goldendoodle
My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am not sure how many pills he ate, but probably not more than 15 pills, and probably less. He has had very little appetite since eating the pills, but he still happily eats treats and dog food with broth. For a few days following the episode, his stool was black and tarry; for the last two days he has had diarrhea. He is acting calmer than usual, but he is still active and walking around the house, barking at neighbors, etc.

Is this something that could/will continue to get worse? Will he likely improve soon? Is there anything I could/should do?

By now, it's probably too late to answer your question. (I don't get the free questions for a week or two after they've been asked.) But I thought I would answer it in case it helps someone else.

Advil can be toxic to a dog. Black and tarry stool can be a sign of a stomach ulcer. If by some chance you are still seeing any black stools then I would definitely have a vet take a look at him. They can give medication to help protect the stomach. Some stomach ulcers can be serious enough that they can actually be fatal.

Advil can be toxic to the kidneys as well. Early signs of kidney problems are an increase in thirst and urination. Then, if things are really bad, a dog will be vomiting and not eating and lethargic. If you think there are any of these symptoms at all then it is very important to get to a vet right away.

I hope Tucker is ok!

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26721 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (24551 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23311 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23465 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (4871 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55229 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19487 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12775 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6908 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10507 views)