Dog ate Advil.

Breed: Goldendoodle
My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am not sure how many pills he ate, but probably not more than 15 pills, and probably less. He has had very little appetite since eating the pills, but he still happily eats treats and dog food with broth. For a few days following the episode, his stool was black and tarry; for the last two days he has had diarrhea. He is acting calmer than usual, but he is still active and walking around the house, barking at neighbors, etc.

Is this something that could/will continue to get worse? Will he likely improve soon? Is there anything I could/should do?

By now, it's probably too late to answer your question. (I don't get the free questions for a week or two after they've been asked.) But I thought I would answer it in case it helps someone else.

Advil can be toxic to a dog. Black and tarry stool can be a sign of a stomach ulcer. If by some chance you are still seeing any black stools then I would definitely have a vet take a look at him. They can give medication to help protect the stomach. Some stomach ulcers can be serious enough that they can actually be fatal.

Advil can be toxic to the kidneys as well. Early signs of kidney problems are an increase in thirst and urination. Then, if things are really bad, a dog will be vomiting and not eating and lethargic. If you think there are any of these symptoms at all then it is very important to get to a vet right away.

I hope Tucker is ok!

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8509 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (20432 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16434 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14866 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (32864 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (30273 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (9300 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11010 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7684 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (74724 views)