Dog ate Advil.

Breed: Goldendoodle
My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am not sure how many pills he ate, but probably not more than 15 pills, and probably less. He has had very little appetite since eating the pills, but he still happily eats treats and dog food with broth. For a few days following the episode, his stool was black and tarry; for the last two days he has had diarrhea. He is acting calmer than usual, but he is still active and walking around the house, barking at neighbors, etc.

Is this something that could/will continue to get worse? Will he likely improve soon? Is there anything I could/should do?

By now, it's probably too late to answer your question. (I don't get the free questions for a week or two after they've been asked.) But I thought I would answer it in case it helps someone else.

Advil can be toxic to a dog. Black and tarry stool can be a sign of a stomach ulcer. If by some chance you are still seeing any black stools then I would definitely have a vet take a look at him. They can give medication to help protect the stomach. Some stomach ulcers can be serious enough that they can actually be fatal.

Advil can be toxic to the kidneys as well. Early signs of kidney problems are an increase in thirst and urination. Then, if things are really bad, a dog will be vomiting and not eating and lethargic. If you think there are any of these symptoms at all then it is very important to get to a vet right away.

I hope Tucker is ok!

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (8864 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (8709 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (9684 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (10738 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (60278 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (8374 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9061 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (15606 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (7865 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (39839 views)