Dog ate Advil.

Breed: Goldendoodle
My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am not sure how many pills he ate, but probably not more than 15 pills, and probably less. He has had very little appetite since eating the pills, but he still happily eats treats and dog food with broth. For a few days following the episode, his stool was black and tarry; for the last two days he has had diarrhea. He is acting calmer than usual, but he is still active and walking around the house, barking at neighbors, etc.

Is this something that could/will continue to get worse? Will he likely improve soon? Is there anything I could/should do?

By now, it's probably too late to answer your question. (I don't get the free questions for a week or two after they've been asked.) But I thought I would answer it in case it helps someone else.

Advil can be toxic to a dog. Black and tarry stool can be a sign of a stomach ulcer. If by some chance you are still seeing any black stools then I would definitely have a vet take a look at him. They can give medication to help protect the stomach. Some stomach ulcers can be serious enough that they can actually be fatal.

Advil can be toxic to the kidneys as well. Early signs of kidney problems are an increase in thirst and urination. Then, if things are really bad, a dog will be vomiting and not eating and lethargic. If you think there are any of these symptoms at all then it is very important to get to a vet right away.

I hope Tucker is ok!

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3567 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8088 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (11032 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (24417 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7640 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (27052 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30597 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31908 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10153 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9207 views)