Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate Advil.

Species: Dog
Breed: Goldendoodle
Age: 1-2 years
My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am not sure how many pills he ate, but probably not more than 15 pills, and probably less. He has had very little appetite since eating the pills, but he still happily eats treats and dog food with broth. For a few days following the episode, his stool was black and tarry; for the last two days he has had diarrhea. He is acting calmer than usual, but he is still active and walking around the house, barking at neighbors, etc.

Is this something that could/will continue to get worse? Will he likely improve soon? Is there anything I could/should do?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

By now, it's probably too late to answer your question. (I don't get the free questions for a week or two after they've been asked.) But I thought I would answer it in case it helps someone else.

Advil can be toxic to a dog. Black and tarry stool can be a sign of a stomach ulcer. If by some chance you are still seeing any black stools then I would definitely have a vet take a look at him. They can give medication to help protect the stomach. Some stomach ulcers can be serious enough that they can actually be fatal.

Advil can be toxic to the kidneys as well. Early signs of kidney problems are an increase in thirst and urination. Then, if things are really bad, a dog will be vomiting and not eating and lethargic. If you think there are any of these symptoms at all then it is very important to get to a vet right away.

I hope Tucker is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (16555 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (9063 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (37468 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (17551 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (20690 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (99450 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (49391 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (10446 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (9509 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (16478 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.