Pit Bull won't eat.

Breed: PitBull/Boxer mix
My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray and has some anxiety issues. For the past week or two she has been "fighting" us when it comes to meal time. We have to constantly work with her and tell her to eat or finish her meals. This morning she did not eat at all. We tried moving her bowls to another room, removing them from the bowl stand and laying them on the floor, tried hand feeding her, tried doing tricks and rewarding her with her food and nothing worked. It seems to me that there is a real anxiety with mealtime but I know that not eating can be caused by a blockage as well. I'm wondering if since she is acting normal, drinking water normal, movign her bowels normally, but just isn't eating that it is caused by the anxiety and not a blockage. Without being able to physically assess her, is that what the situation sounds like to you?

If a dog doesn't want to eat and it lasts more than 24-48 hours then there is almost always a medical issue present. There are a great number of possibilities. It could indeed be some kind of blockage. It could be a sign of a toxicity affecting the liver or kidneys. It could even be because of pain. I have seen a number of pitties or boxers that have had serious back problems causing them pain.

If she's not spayed it could be a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra.

This is not likely to be because of the kind of food or where the bowls are. I would highly suggest having your vet see her as soon as possible!

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18831 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (30835 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (35559 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10252 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29771 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7752 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17126 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7597 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14100 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5834 views)