Pit Bull won't eat.

Breed: PitBull/Boxer mix
My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray and has some anxiety issues. For the past week or two she has been "fighting" us when it comes to meal time. We have to constantly work with her and tell her to eat or finish her meals. This morning she did not eat at all. We tried moving her bowls to another room, removing them from the bowl stand and laying them on the floor, tried hand feeding her, tried doing tricks and rewarding her with her food and nothing worked. It seems to me that there is a real anxiety with mealtime but I know that not eating can be caused by a blockage as well. I'm wondering if since she is acting normal, drinking water normal, movign her bowels normally, but just isn't eating that it is caused by the anxiety and not a blockage. Without being able to physically assess her, is that what the situation sounds like to you?

If a dog doesn't want to eat and it lasts more than 24-48 hours then there is almost always a medical issue present. There are a great number of possibilities. It could indeed be some kind of blockage. It could be a sign of a toxicity affecting the liver or kidneys. It could even be because of pain. I have seen a number of pitties or boxers that have had serious back problems causing them pain.

If she's not spayed it could be a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra.

This is not likely to be because of the kind of food or where the bowls are. I would highly suggest having your vet see her as soon as possible!

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (8122 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (26152 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8548 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8292 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8007 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10242 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12764 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10800 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22950 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (66540 views)