Pit Bull won't eat.

Breed: PitBull/Boxer mix
My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray and has some anxiety issues. For the past week or two she has been "fighting" us when it comes to meal time. We have to constantly work with her and tell her to eat or finish her meals. This morning she did not eat at all. We tried moving her bowls to another room, removing them from the bowl stand and laying them on the floor, tried hand feeding her, tried doing tricks and rewarding her with her food and nothing worked. It seems to me that there is a real anxiety with mealtime but I know that not eating can be caused by a blockage as well. I'm wondering if since she is acting normal, drinking water normal, movign her bowels normally, but just isn't eating that it is caused by the anxiety and not a blockage. Without being able to physically assess her, is that what the situation sounds like to you?

If a dog doesn't want to eat and it lasts more than 24-48 hours then there is almost always a medical issue present. There are a great number of possibilities. It could indeed be some kind of blockage. It could be a sign of a toxicity affecting the liver or kidneys. It could even be because of pain. I have seen a number of pitties or boxers that have had serious back problems causing them pain.

If she's not spayed it could be a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra.

This is not likely to be because of the kind of food or where the bowls are. I would highly suggest having your vet see her as soon as possible!

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (11272 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (3888 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (8467 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (6840 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (140535 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (9388 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (23165 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (15048 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (9570 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (229970 views)