Rat with red tears and increased thirst.

Breed: Fancy Rat
I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird wheezing nose when she breathed but it never seemed to bother her. Just yesterday i notice she had some "Red tears" so i put eye & ear Polysporin drops this vet said to use to help. But i also notice she is very weak, wont move around in the cage but sleep in a spot in a corner. When i take her out to clean her eyes i give her water and she drinks it so fast. I don't know what's wrong with her, i did hold her when i was sick with a cold and maybe she got it. My parents wont take them to the vet because they dont want to pay the money and shes normaly a very hyper and friendly girl, so is there something i could go buy at a near by pet store that can help her out. Please help, thanks for your time.

-Christina Onwer of Angus, Aly and Aj.

Sorry to hear that your rat is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described have me concerned.

The red tears that you have described are likely porphyrin. This is a pigment that is released by rats during times of disease or stress. If all we were seeing were some red tears, and otherwise the rat was feeling well then I wouldn't be too worried.

However, the fact that she is weak and drinking a lot makes me concerned that there is an illness present.

There are a few possibilities to explain the increase in thirst in a rat:

• Kidney disease - some rats can be born with a predisposition towards kidney disease. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do for this.

• A tumor in the pituitary gland in the brain. This is difficult to diagnose and also difficult to treat.

• Diabetes. Diabetes is potentially treatable in rats.

Unfortunately there really is nothing that I can recommend for her other than a vet visit if at all possible.

I really hope she is ok.

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (11272 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (13674 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (16778 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (18354 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (11514 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (13138 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (11079 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (48949 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (16172 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (10063 views)