Rat with red tears and increased thirst.

Breed: Fancy Rat
I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird wheezing nose when she breathed but it never seemed to bother her. Just yesterday i notice she had some "Red tears" so i put eye & ear Polysporin drops this vet said to use to help. But i also notice she is very weak, wont move around in the cage but sleep in a spot in a corner. When i take her out to clean her eyes i give her water and she drinks it so fast. I don't know what's wrong with her, i did hold her when i was sick with a cold and maybe she got it. My parents wont take them to the vet because they dont want to pay the money and shes normaly a very hyper and friendly girl, so is there something i could go buy at a near by pet store that can help her out. Please help, thanks for your time.

-Christina Onwer of Angus, Aly and Aj.

Sorry to hear that your rat is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described have me concerned.

The red tears that you have described are likely porphyrin. This is a pigment that is released by rats during times of disease or stress. If all we were seeing were some red tears, and otherwise the rat was feeling well then I wouldn't be too worried.

However, the fact that she is weak and drinking a lot makes me concerned that there is an illness present.

There are a few possibilities to explain the increase in thirst in a rat:

• Kidney disease - some rats can be born with a predisposition towards kidney disease. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do for this.

• A tumor in the pituitary gland in the brain. This is difficult to diagnose and also difficult to treat.

• Diabetes. Diabetes is potentially treatable in rats.

Unfortunately there really is nothing that I can recommend for her other than a vet visit if at all possible.

I really hope she is ok.

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18554 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (12680 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12705 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9606 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10059 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9159 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12246 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (7896 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (34642 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17300 views)