Rat with red tears and increased thirst.

Breed: Fancy Rat
I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird wheezing nose when she breathed but it never seemed to bother her. Just yesterday i notice she had some "Red tears" so i put eye & ear Polysporin drops this vet said to use to help. But i also notice she is very weak, wont move around in the cage but sleep in a spot in a corner. When i take her out to clean her eyes i give her water and she drinks it so fast. I don't know what's wrong with her, i did hold her when i was sick with a cold and maybe she got it. My parents wont take them to the vet because they dont want to pay the money and shes normaly a very hyper and friendly girl, so is there something i could go buy at a near by pet store that can help her out. Please help, thanks for your time.

-Christina Onwer of Angus, Aly and Aj.

Sorry to hear that your rat is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described have me concerned.

The red tears that you have described are likely porphyrin. This is a pigment that is released by rats during times of disease or stress. If all we were seeing were some red tears, and otherwise the rat was feeling well then I wouldn't be too worried.

However, the fact that she is weak and drinking a lot makes me concerned that there is an illness present.

There are a few possibilities to explain the increase in thirst in a rat:

• Kidney disease - some rats can be born with a predisposition towards kidney disease. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do for this.

• A tumor in the pituitary gland in the brain. This is difficult to diagnose and also difficult to treat.

• Diabetes. Diabetes is potentially treatable in rats.

Unfortunately there really is nothing that I can recommend for her other than a vet visit if at all possible.

I really hope she is ok.

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6122 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10605 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13641 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (14234 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6605 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (29894 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10004 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (5232 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10368 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13027 views)