Rat with red tears and increased thirst.

Breed: Fancy Rat
I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird wheezing nose when she breathed but it never seemed to bother her. Just yesterday i notice she had some "Red tears" so i put eye & ear Polysporin drops this vet said to use to help. But i also notice she is very weak, wont move around in the cage but sleep in a spot in a corner. When i take her out to clean her eyes i give her water and she drinks it so fast. I don't know what's wrong with her, i did hold her when i was sick with a cold and maybe she got it. My parents wont take them to the vet because they dont want to pay the money and shes normaly a very hyper and friendly girl, so is there something i could go buy at a near by pet store that can help her out. Please help, thanks for your time.

-Christina Onwer of Angus, Aly and Aj.

Sorry to hear that your rat is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described have me concerned.

The red tears that you have described are likely porphyrin. This is a pigment that is released by rats during times of disease or stress. If all we were seeing were some red tears, and otherwise the rat was feeling well then I wouldn't be too worried.

However, the fact that she is weak and drinking a lot makes me concerned that there is an illness present.

There are a few possibilities to explain the increase in thirst in a rat:

• Kidney disease - some rats can be born with a predisposition towards kidney disease. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do for this.

• A tumor in the pituitary gland in the brain. This is difficult to diagnose and also difficult to treat.

• Diabetes. Diabetes is potentially treatable in rats.

Unfortunately there really is nothing that I can recommend for her other than a vet visit if at all possible.

I really hope she is ok.

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6507 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21750 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (9278 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19286 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18549 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (27341 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15837 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14366 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (10226 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (24264 views)