Senior cat losing weight.

Breed: Unknown/long haired

My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm not entirely sure of his age). He is perfectly healthy--eats, drinks, still loves getting attention--except that he is much thinner than he used to be and his fur has lost some of its luster.. it seems a bit thinner than it used to. There have been no behavioral changes, except that maybe he is a little more vocal than he used to be. I recently moved into my own apartment, so he is alone more than he used to be and lets me know he is sad about that when I walk in the door.

A few months ago I brought him to the vet just for a check-up, and they gave him a full "senior wellness" exam that came back with no bad results. He had lost a couple of pounds, but no clear culprit...except maybe aging (and he had always been a big cat).

Essentially, my question is whether or not it is normal for cats to lose weight with age. His weight loss feels significant to me--I can feel his ribs and his "shoulder blades" when I pet him now, which I never used to be able to do. I don't have a scale though to actually measure his weight. So barring other symptoms, should I ignore the weight? I am really nervous and keep thinking about taking him back to the vet, but honestly am pretty broke right now and not sure I can afford to have him go through those tests again until about a month from now. I know you can't tell me whether or not I need to take my cat to a vet really, but I am wondering about "natural" weight loss...

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie,

In my opinion, almost every time that a cat is losing weight, there is a medical reason for it.

You mentioned that the vets did not find anything on Mickey's senior wellness exam. Did he have blood tests with that too? Do you know if his thyroid was tested? The most common reason for senior cats to lose weight are hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, diabetes, cancer and inflammatory bowel disease.

The first three that I mentioned would be easy to pick up on blood tests. However, I have had at least one cat that had normal blood tests and then when he continued to lose weight 2 months later we repeated the tests and found he did have hyperthyroidism.

Inflammatory bowel disease is a toughie. Usually if there is weight loss because of IBD it is because of repeated vomiting or diarrhea.

I do get worried when I see significant weight loss and I can't find a medical reason for it. This can sometimes mean that there is a hidden cancer somewhere.

At this point, I know it is tough financially for you, but really the best option would be to have an exam and some more blood tests done to see if anything new is creeping in. I'm guessing that if he has lost that much weight that they will find something. Some of the things that I mentioned are relatively easy to treat.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13606 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (84849 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6357 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (11752 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (7588 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (9690 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55605 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10015 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6620 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11276 views)