Senior cat losing weight.

Breed: Unknown/long haired

My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm not entirely sure of his age). He is perfectly healthy--eats, drinks, still loves getting attention--except that he is much thinner than he used to be and his fur has lost some of its luster.. it seems a bit thinner than it used to. There have been no behavioral changes, except that maybe he is a little more vocal than he used to be. I recently moved into my own apartment, so he is alone more than he used to be and lets me know he is sad about that when I walk in the door.

A few months ago I brought him to the vet just for a check-up, and they gave him a full "senior wellness" exam that came back with no bad results. He had lost a couple of pounds, but no clear culprit...except maybe aging (and he had always been a big cat).

Essentially, my question is whether or not it is normal for cats to lose weight with age. His weight loss feels significant to me--I can feel his ribs and his "shoulder blades" when I pet him now, which I never used to be able to do. I don't have a scale though to actually measure his weight. So barring other symptoms, should I ignore the weight? I am really nervous and keep thinking about taking him back to the vet, but honestly am pretty broke right now and not sure I can afford to have him go through those tests again until about a month from now. I know you can't tell me whether or not I need to take my cat to a vet really, but I am wondering about "natural" weight loss...

Thank you,
Marie

Hi Marie,

In my opinion, almost every time that a cat is losing weight, there is a medical reason for it.

You mentioned that the vets did not find anything on Mickey's senior wellness exam. Did he have blood tests with that too? Do you know if his thyroid was tested? The most common reason for senior cats to lose weight are hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, diabetes, cancer and inflammatory bowel disease.

The first three that I mentioned would be easy to pick up on blood tests. However, I have had at least one cat that had normal blood tests and then when he continued to lose weight 2 months later we repeated the tests and found he did have hyperthyroidism.

Inflammatory bowel disease is a toughie. Usually if there is weight loss because of IBD it is because of repeated vomiting or diarrhea.

I do get worried when I see significant weight loss and I can't find a medical reason for it. This can sometimes mean that there is a hidden cancer somewhere.

At this point, I know it is tough financially for you, but really the best option would be to have an exam and some more blood tests done to see if anything new is creeping in. I'm guessing that if he has lost that much weight that they will find something. Some of the things that I mentioned are relatively easy to treat.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11625 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5399 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16778 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (18458 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39510 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (38087 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14852 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (5382 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6402 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14682 views)