Head tremor in a cat.

Breed: Calico
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with being wobbly and not being able to walk, she also appears at times to have a slight head tremor. She has eaten a little yesterday and has been drinking water-she also urinated this morning. Wildwood had been an outdoor cat up until my parents passed away 3 years ago and since that time she's been indoors. Her symptoms seemed to have come on quite suddenly, although I had noticed the head tremor at times before but never thought to much about it because she seemed fine. I dont know if this is significant or not but she was also recently to a groomer for the 1st time approximately 2 weeks ago-I'm not sure if this may have shooken her up and caused her symptoms. I also forgot to mention at times before these symptoms came on she also had incontinance. We tried to make an appointment today, but due to a snowstorm in the northeast our local vets were closed today-We were just looking for some insight-as to the best way we can keep her comfortable until we can get in to the vet, and possible causes.
I thank you very much for your time and any advice you can give us.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Hi there Melissa and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question.

It really does sound like Wildwood is unwell. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to examine her but I can give you some ideas as to what could be going on.

One of the more common things that I worry about with older cats is kidney disease. Kidney disease can cause a lack of appetite and also incontinence issues. It can also cause electrolyte imbalances which can cause the head tremors that you are seeing.

Another possibility is a serious liver problem. If the liver is really damaged there can be a buildup of ammonia and this can cause neurological symptoms (i.e. the head tremors) and extreme wobbliness as well.

A problem in the brain such as a tumor could possibly cause these problems.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some blood and/or urine tests.

Unfortunately it sounds like this is a very serious problem and she really does need to be seen as soon as possible. If you are not able to get her to an emergency clinic then, for tonight, the best you can do is to try to keep her quiet and comfortable. If she is having trouble moving, make sure there is food and water available to her.

There are no medications or treatments that I can recommend for you at home at this time. Hopefully your vet can see her in the morning.

I hope she does ok.

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7361 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (16095 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (13995 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8380 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7951 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15556 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (10547 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (39943 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (5114 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (54253 views)