Head tremor in a cat.

Breed: Calico
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with being wobbly and not being able to walk, she also appears at times to have a slight head tremor. She has eaten a little yesterday and has been drinking water-she also urinated this morning. Wildwood had been an outdoor cat up until my parents passed away 3 years ago and since that time she's been indoors. Her symptoms seemed to have come on quite suddenly, although I had noticed the head tremor at times before but never thought to much about it because she seemed fine. I dont know if this is significant or not but she was also recently to a groomer for the 1st time approximately 2 weeks ago-I'm not sure if this may have shooken her up and caused her symptoms. I also forgot to mention at times before these symptoms came on she also had incontinance. We tried to make an appointment today, but due to a snowstorm in the northeast our local vets were closed today-We were just looking for some insight-as to the best way we can keep her comfortable until we can get in to the vet, and possible causes.
I thank you very much for your time and any advice you can give us.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Hi there Melissa and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question.

It really does sound like Wildwood is unwell. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to examine her but I can give you some ideas as to what could be going on.

One of the more common things that I worry about with older cats is kidney disease. Kidney disease can cause a lack of appetite and also incontinence issues. It can also cause electrolyte imbalances which can cause the head tremors that you are seeing.

Another possibility is a serious liver problem. If the liver is really damaged there can be a buildup of ammonia and this can cause neurological symptoms (i.e. the head tremors) and extreme wobbliness as well.

A problem in the brain such as a tumor could possibly cause these problems.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some blood and/or urine tests.

Unfortunately it sounds like this is a very serious problem and she really does need to be seen as soon as possible. If you are not able to get her to an emergency clinic then, for tonight, the best you can do is to try to keep her quiet and comfortable. If she is having trouble moving, make sure there is food and water available to her.

There are no medications or treatments that I can recommend for you at home at this time. Hopefully your vet can see her in the morning.

I hope she does ok.

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (22963 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (16041 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14478 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (25464 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (6357 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (38293 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15772 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12642 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (39920 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5968 views)