Head tremor in a cat.

Breed: Calico
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with being wobbly and not being able to walk, she also appears at times to have a slight head tremor. She has eaten a little yesterday and has been drinking water-she also urinated this morning. Wildwood had been an outdoor cat up until my parents passed away 3 years ago and since that time she's been indoors. Her symptoms seemed to have come on quite suddenly, although I had noticed the head tremor at times before but never thought to much about it because she seemed fine. I dont know if this is significant or not but she was also recently to a groomer for the 1st time approximately 2 weeks ago-I'm not sure if this may have shooken her up and caused her symptoms. I also forgot to mention at times before these symptoms came on she also had incontinance. We tried to make an appointment today, but due to a snowstorm in the northeast our local vets were closed today-We were just looking for some insight-as to the best way we can keep her comfortable until we can get in to the vet, and possible causes.
I thank you very much for your time and any advice you can give us.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Hi there Melissa and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question.

It really does sound like Wildwood is unwell. This is a hard question for me to answer without being able to examine her but I can give you some ideas as to what could be going on.

One of the more common things that I worry about with older cats is kidney disease. Kidney disease can cause a lack of appetite and also incontinence issues. It can also cause electrolyte imbalances which can cause the head tremors that you are seeing.

Another possibility is a serious liver problem. If the liver is really damaged there can be a buildup of ammonia and this can cause neurological symptoms (i.e. the head tremors) and extreme wobbliness as well.

A problem in the brain such as a tumor could possibly cause these problems.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some blood and/or urine tests.

Unfortunately it sounds like this is a very serious problem and she really does need to be seen as soon as possible. If you are not able to get her to an emergency clinic then, for tonight, the best you can do is to try to keep her quiet and comfortable. If she is having trouble moving, make sure there is food and water available to her.

There are no medications or treatments that I can recommend for you at home at this time. Hopefully your vet can see her in the morning.

I hope she does ok.

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (15871 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10592 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (24925 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (23523 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (17921 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8456 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (15554 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8970 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6661 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12381 views)