Grade 5 heart murmur.

Breed: Beagle
Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the vet said that he had a grade 5 heart murmur. For some reason the vet did not give any information on what we could do to help. So I was wondering, what steps should I take to help the heart murmur?
Thank you!

For some animals a heart murmur is nothing to worry about. Some can be born with a murmur and never have a problem with their heart.

However, if we hear a grade 5 murmur on an older dog that has not had a murmur before then this usually is a sign of heart disease. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 so 5 is significant.

The most common reason for a beagle to have a murmur is something called mitral valve disease. This can lead to heart failure.

We don't usually treat the condition unless we have clinical signs. These would include coughing and breathing difficulties.

I hope Shiloh is ok!

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13153 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6460 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (11117 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (8066 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8332 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (55101 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20751 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (12185 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10905 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (25271 views)