Grade 5 heart murmur.

Breed: Beagle
Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the vet said that he had a grade 5 heart murmur. For some reason the vet did not give any information on what we could do to help. So I was wondering, what steps should I take to help the heart murmur?
Thank you!

For some animals a heart murmur is nothing to worry about. Some can be born with a murmur and never have a problem with their heart.

However, if we hear a grade 5 murmur on an older dog that has not had a murmur before then this usually is a sign of heart disease. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 so 5 is significant.

The most common reason for a beagle to have a murmur is something called mitral valve disease. This can lead to heart failure.

We don't usually treat the condition unless we have clinical signs. These would include coughing and breathing difficulties.

I hope Shiloh is ok!

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (23624 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (10306 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (24463 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40570 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (18558 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20968 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (9746 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7240 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (21524 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (7014 views)