Grade 5 heart murmur.

Breed: Beagle
Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the vet said that he had a grade 5 heart murmur. For some reason the vet did not give any information on what we could do to help. So I was wondering, what steps should I take to help the heart murmur?
Thank you!

For some animals a heart murmur is nothing to worry about. Some can be born with a murmur and never have a problem with their heart.

However, if we hear a grade 5 murmur on an older dog that has not had a murmur before then this usually is a sign of heart disease. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 so 5 is significant.

The most common reason for a beagle to have a murmur is something called mitral valve disease. This can lead to heart failure.

We don't usually treat the condition unless we have clinical signs. These would include coughing and breathing difficulties.

I hope Shiloh is ok!

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (12847 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (9967 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (24086 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (9120 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (15010 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (13168 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (6740 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (47177 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (10259 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (14510 views)