Grade 5 heart murmur.

Breed: Beagle
Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the vet said that he had a grade 5 heart murmur. For some reason the vet did not give any information on what we could do to help. So I was wondering, what steps should I take to help the heart murmur?
Thank you!

For some animals a heart murmur is nothing to worry about. Some can be born with a murmur and never have a problem with their heart.

However, if we hear a grade 5 murmur on an older dog that has not had a murmur before then this usually is a sign of heart disease. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 so 5 is significant.

The most common reason for a beagle to have a murmur is something called mitral valve disease. This can lead to heart failure.

We don't usually treat the condition unless we have clinical signs. These would include coughing and breathing difficulties.

I hope Shiloh is ok!

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (23056 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (20809 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19424 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10420 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (22120 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (6366 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11585 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (11759 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11580 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (16028 views)