Grade 5 heart murmur.

Breed: Beagle
Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the vet said that he had a grade 5 heart murmur. For some reason the vet did not give any information on what we could do to help. So I was wondering, what steps should I take to help the heart murmur?
Thank you!

For some animals a heart murmur is nothing to worry about. Some can be born with a murmur and never have a problem with their heart.

However, if we hear a grade 5 murmur on an older dog that has not had a murmur before then this usually is a sign of heart disease. We grade murmurs on a scale of 1-6 so 5 is significant.

The most common reason for a beagle to have a murmur is something called mitral valve disease. This can lead to heart failure.

We don't usually treat the condition unless we have clinical signs. These would include coughing and breathing difficulties.

I hope Shiloh is ok!

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16065 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6255 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12845 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (40548 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9639 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10568 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15462 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8807 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4785 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89036 views)