Cat died suddenly.

Breed: Long haired
Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and strictly an indoor cat. She had been exhibiting some weakness and lack of eating for about 4 or 5 days, and we were finding some areas where she had either vomited or passed a blackish liquid. Last night, she passed away. We were unable to find any poisons or any reason for her sudden illness. She was only around our one other indoor cat who is about 13. She seems fine. We're concerned as to what happened and if our other cat is in danger. Thank you.

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry for the delay in getting an answer to you. We lost our internet connection at the office and did not get it back. So, now I am finally home and able to respond to your question.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your cat passing away.

While I certainly can't say for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam I can give you a few ideas.

By far the most common reason for a young, healthy cat to pass away suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition that Furby would have been born with. Cats with HCM have thickened walls in their heart. They often have no clinical signs at all until eventually the heart gives out and they pass away. Some cats will have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but not always.

If it was HCM there was nothing that anyone could have done to prevent or even treat this.

The other possibility that comes to my mind is some sort of foreign body ingestion. A foreign object such as a ball, a small sock, a hair elastic, etc. could cause an intestinal obstruction or even a perforation of the intestines which could be fatal.

Whatever, the condition, this does not sound like something that should be a concern for your other cat. It does not sound like something viral or toxic.

Thank you very much for your patience today. Please accept my condolences on the loss of Furby.

If you have more questions, just hit reply.

Hi Chris...I just got your email. I am again so sorry that you did not get my reply. I had replied later that day and you should have gotten a notice. I will check to make sure my email notification is working properly. It seems like other customers are getting their answers ok.

I'll send you this link via your email directly as well.

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of Furby. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I probably did get the initial response in my spam folder. I apologize for any confusion. Take care.

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10214 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (4921 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6213 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17645 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10861 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15172 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13305 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18403 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (5973 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (33305 views)