Cat died suddenly.

Breed: Long haired
Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and strictly an indoor cat. She had been exhibiting some weakness and lack of eating for about 4 or 5 days, and we were finding some areas where she had either vomited or passed a blackish liquid. Last night, she passed away. We were unable to find any poisons or any reason for her sudden illness. She was only around our one other indoor cat who is about 13. She seems fine. We're concerned as to what happened and if our other cat is in danger. Thank you.

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry for the delay in getting an answer to you. We lost our internet connection at the office and did not get it back. So, now I am finally home and able to respond to your question.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your cat passing away.

While I certainly can't say for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam I can give you a few ideas.

By far the most common reason for a young, healthy cat to pass away suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition that Furby would have been born with. Cats with HCM have thickened walls in their heart. They often have no clinical signs at all until eventually the heart gives out and they pass away. Some cats will have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but not always.

If it was HCM there was nothing that anyone could have done to prevent or even treat this.

The other possibility that comes to my mind is some sort of foreign body ingestion. A foreign object such as a ball, a small sock, a hair elastic, etc. could cause an intestinal obstruction or even a perforation of the intestines which could be fatal.

Whatever, the condition, this does not sound like something that should be a concern for your other cat. It does not sound like something viral or toxic.

Thank you very much for your patience today. Please accept my condolences on the loss of Furby.

If you have more questions, just hit reply.

Hi Chris...I just got your email. I am again so sorry that you did not get my reply. I had replied later that day and you should have gotten a notice. I will check to make sure my email notification is working properly. It seems like other customers are getting their answers ok.

I'll send you this link via your email directly as well.

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of Furby. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I probably did get the initial response in my spam folder. I apologize for any confusion. Take care.

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (16486 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (11315 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (19466 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (9635 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (9925 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (29073 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (9320 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (8778 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (18069 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (22164 views)