Cat died suddenly.

Breed: Long haired
Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and strictly an indoor cat. She had been exhibiting some weakness and lack of eating for about 4 or 5 days, and we were finding some areas where she had either vomited or passed a blackish liquid. Last night, she passed away. We were unable to find any poisons or any reason for her sudden illness. She was only around our one other indoor cat who is about 13. She seems fine. We're concerned as to what happened and if our other cat is in danger. Thank you.

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry for the delay in getting an answer to you. We lost our internet connection at the office and did not get it back. So, now I am finally home and able to respond to your question.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your cat passing away.

While I certainly can't say for sure what happened without doing a post mortem exam I can give you a few ideas.

By far the most common reason for a young, healthy cat to pass away suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition that Furby would have been born with. Cats with HCM have thickened walls in their heart. They often have no clinical signs at all until eventually the heart gives out and they pass away. Some cats will have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but not always.

If it was HCM there was nothing that anyone could have done to prevent or even treat this.

The other possibility that comes to my mind is some sort of foreign body ingestion. A foreign object such as a ball, a small sock, a hair elastic, etc. could cause an intestinal obstruction or even a perforation of the intestines which could be fatal.

Whatever, the condition, this does not sound like something that should be a concern for your other cat. It does not sound like something viral or toxic.

Thank you very much for your patience today. Please accept my condolences on the loss of Furby.

If you have more questions, just hit reply.

Hi Chris...I just got your email. I am again so sorry that you did not get my reply. I had replied later that day and you should have gotten a notice. I will check to make sure my email notification is working properly. It seems like other customers are getting their answers ok.

I'll send you this link via your email directly as well.

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of Furby. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I probably did get the initial response in my spam folder. I apologize for any confusion. Take care.

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (7793 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (9851 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8717 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (6867 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (6504 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7050 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12758 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41085 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (4827 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (73008 views)